• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay related - Incredible Hulk # 181 ACE (CGC) 9.0 VF NM

39 posts in this topic

[]ACE isn't a grading company. It's a dealer who grades his books, labels them, and puts them in a case.

then what's the website offering grading services?

That's the dealer. One guy.

you said, "grades his books".

He's offering to grade for anyone who sends in books.

That's a little different from a "dealer who grades his own books".

[]ACE isn't a grading company. It's a dealer who grades his books, labels them, and puts them in a case.

then what's the website offering grading services?

That's the dealer. One guy.

you said, "grades his books".

He's offering to grade for anyone who sends in books.

That's a little different from a "dealer who grades his own books".

okay, mr. analysis. sleeping.gif

1/2 mr. analysis, 1/2 curiosity and puzzlement.

I was wondering what you were originally "hinting" at that I didn't get. thumbsup2.gifshy.gif

I was "hinting" that ACE wasn't a true grading service like CGC. Stick around awhile and you might just be able to pull your head out of your *spoon*.

Well it was only a matter of time before you said something snide to me.

I've been lurking for 2 years, azzmonkey.

so sincerely, *spoon* off.

It's great to see that you lasted two years on here. Happy 13th birthday this year. Perhaps you should stick to collecting Bratz, because you sure have no clue about comics.

It's great to see that you lasted two years on here. Happy 13th birthday this year. Perhaps you should stick to collecting Bratz, because you sure have no clue about comics.

I've seen you do this *spoon* time and time again.

Person asks a sincere question.

You respond with snide, smartazz comment or outright fabrication.

You get called on it, and resort to internet bullying.

And because you've been here forever, somehow, miraculously, you get away with it.

Here's the deal, chump. And this will be my last word to you.

You would not talk to me the way you do here, in person.

That is a fact.

You may know comics, but you don't know jack sheet about real life.

I've seen you do this *spoon* time and time again.

Person asks a sincere question.

You respond with snide, smartazz comment or outright fabrication.

You get called on it, and resort to internet bullying.

And because you've been here forever, somehow, miraculously, you get away with it.

Here's the deal, chump. And this will be my last word to you.

You would not talk to me the way you do here, in person.

That is a fact.

You may know comics, but you don't know jack sheet about real life.

Wow, speaking of internet tough guy, you have got that routine down to a science. You have the whole masking thing going on. How could I ever have doubted you electronic brawn. the spacing was a nice touch too, it made it easier to laugh at you between comments. 27_laughing.gif

Explain this CGC slab? Auction Link

wzfya1bc98.jpg

That was from Wizard Entertainment and CGC, in a scheme to produce limited slabs. They had 3 grades on them. The thinking was to simplify the grading process and produce high grade slabs. I don't think they still produce these though.

That was from Wizard Entertainment and CGC, in a scheme to produce limited slabs. They had 3 grades on them. The thinking was to simplify the grading process and produce high grade slabs. I don't think they still produce these though.

What were the three grades?

hm..I think it was 10, 9.5, and 9.0.

I'd much rather have a 9.8 than a 9.5 and a 9.6 over a 9.5. Heck, even a 9.4 because it's only 0.1 off from 9.5

I'd much rather have a 9.8 than a 9.5 and a 9.6 over a 9.5. Heck, even a 9.4 because it's only 0.1 off from 9.5

Well, that was the tricky part. The three grades were supposed to simply grading. So that you could quickly scan book and see that it was either Mint, Near Mint or Very Fine/Mint. So in essence you could get a 9.8 book that was graded WF9.5, and you could also get a 9.2 book that was graded WF9.5. This was the problem with the Wizard First program. It was inconsistent with current CGC grading.

Ace has been around since at leastthe summer of 2004.

IronManiac interviewed him a while ago:

http://stlcomics.com/columns/ironslab/V/

Royal Maxey is the head of Accurate Comic Evaluators or ACE, a comic book grading

and encapsulation company located in San Antonio, Texas.

ACE comic book grading is a relative new comer in the ever-expanding Professionally

Graded comic book market. I recently conducted an interview with Royal to discuss

ACE comic grading and the professional comic book grading market in general.

ERIK GARMANY: What made you decide to start your own grading company?

ROYAL MAXEY: I had talked about this with a few friends for quite awhile. I was primarily interested in creating something different, more geared towards the "every man". It seemed the only options for getting a book graded were to sign up for a yearly commitment or turn my books over to someone so they in turn could turn it over to someone. It seemed to be a convoluted system in place, instead of a streamlined endeavor. In other words, choices were very limited and I thought I could do something to provide a service which was faster, cheaper, easier, and much more convenient. Besides is there any business cooler than this to get into!

EG: What do you think sets your grading service apart from the competition out there?

RM: When we set up our business concept we were thinking strictly outside the box. We wanted to make sure people would not think we were an imitation of an existing company, but instead let us stand on our own practices. Our pricing polices is one of our main differences. Instead of basing the cost of the service on the age of the book or its value, it is based on the speed you want the service conducted. In other words why should I pay more for an older book to be graded when I am conducting the exact same service? We also do not use a well in our mylar to prevent any slab damage from shipping and handling. The pressure of the mylar holds the book firmly in place without placing stresses on it. Additionally, we offer a service called "No Grade" in which we simply encapsulate your book with no grade distinction. Not only is this extremely affordable, but it gives customers a way to protect or display some of their favorites regardless of the grade. There are numerous other differences, but hey I don't want to put you to sleep!

EG: What methods do you use for restoration detection and who is your restoration

detection expert?

RM: We have all spent time researching and developing our restoration detection skills.

We focus on the core restoration methods such as page coloring, page replacement, and washing. However we also use different lighting such as ultra violet and magnifying

techniques to help detect alterations. I must say we do not claim to be expert restoration

detectives, but we do discover common and amateur attempts.

EG: Why do you use a 9-point differential between the 9.0 and 9.9?

RM: We put our minds together on this and with our years of evaluation experience

decided to expand upon Overstreet's listing. The question is what the difference between a 9.6 is. and a 9.5, etc. The primary factor that will move a book down one level is the amount of discrepancies. For example, a 9.6 can only have certain type of discrepancies and a certain quantity of these discrepancies; however a 9.4 can have slightly worse discrepancies. Is it fair to move a book all the way down to a 9.4, just because it may have couple extra of the 9.6 type of discrepancies? So the answer is to move it into the 9.5 category. This means this book doesn't have as serious problems as a 9.4, but instead has one or 2 additional discrepancies of the 9.6 variety. We wanted the option to recognize a book for its merits versus penalizing it."

EG: Why do you use a 9-point differential between the 9.0 and 9.9?

RM: We put our minds together on this and with our years of evaluation experience

decided to expand upon Overstreet's listing. The question is what the difference between a 9.6 is. and a 9.5, etc. The primary factor that will move a book down one level is the amount of discrepancies. For example, a 9.6 can only have certain type of discrepancies and a certain quantity of these discrepancies; however a 9.4 can have slightly worse discrepancies. Is it fair to move a book all the way down to a 9.4, just because it may have a couple extra of the 9.6 type of discrepancies? So the answer is to move it into the 9.5 category. This means this book doesn't have as serious problems as a 9.4, but instead has one or 2 additional discrepancies of the 9.6 variety. We wanted the option to recognize a book for its merits versus penalizing it.

EG: Slab-Damage is a very big issue on the STL Comics Forums, has your holder been tested for the dreaded slab-damage (SCS)?

RM: We spent over a year manufacturing and developing our product. We debated long and hard over the "slabbing" process. Probably our best choice was to use a 10 mil archival quality Mylar without a well. What this does for us is prevent any well damage from the book shifting around. Instead the pressure from the Mylar holds the book in place without placing stresses on the corners or edges. If excessive shaking occurs the book will slightly move from its position but again, it does not damage the book in any manner. The book can be shifted back in its place simply by tapping the side of the case.

EG: What is your personal opinion on pressing books prior to grading submittal? Since it can not be reliably detected, do you considering pressing restoration?

RM: Restoration is such a controversial subject. Exactly how much can an owner do to a book before it's even considered restoration and does it even matter? The purists certainly believe any altering of a book from its original condition would call it restoration, while the other side wouldn't. Personally, I don't believe pressing a book is cause for alarm. Actually if you think about it…the majority of books out there are pressed in some manner. Meaning that most enthusiasts bag and board their books and store in long boxes; the storage of the books in the longs will press out spines over time.

Here's an "interview" from earlier this year:

This week we have a new interview with DAVE, a representative of the ACE slabbing

company. I’ve been looking forward to this for quite some time.

WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO START YOUR OWN GRADING COMPANY?

I had talked about this with a few friends for quite awhile. I was primarily interested in

creating something different, more geared towards the "every man". It seemed the only

options for getting a book graded were to sign up for a yearly commitment or turn my

books over to someone so they in turn could turn it over to someone. It seemed to be a

convoluted system in place, instead of a streamlined endeavor. In other words, choices

were very limited and I thought I could do something to provide a service which was ter,

cheaper, easier, and much more convenient. Besides is there any business cooler than this to get into!

HOW LONG HAS ACE BEEN IN BUSINESS?

We have been around for about 3 years now.

HOW MANY EMPLOYEES DOES ACE HAVE?

We have three folks!

HAVE CHANGES BEEN MADE, OR ARE CHANGES PLANNED, FOR ACE'S CONTAINER?

There are no plans to change the current case. It was in design for well over a year.

PLEASE PROVIDE US WITH ADDITIONAL DETAILS ON THE ACE CONTAINERS.

First the books are sealed in 10 mil archival quality mylar, with the label fastened to the

exterior of the mylar. This prevents someone from opening a case and removing the

label and possibly using it on another item. The case is sealed on all four corners and

has two additional seals on each side. This is to prevent someone from simply breaking a corner and being able to remove the entire book like some competitors. In other words we looked at security as one of our primary factors in it's design. While all cases are able to be breached and tampered with, we tried to make it just a little harder.

DOES ACE BELONG TO ANY COMIC BOOK-RELATED ORGANIZATIONS?

At this time no. It certainly is within the realm to do so in the future, but we are taking it s

low and one day at a time.