• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could only have 5 golden age comics

89 posts in this topic

Great choices so far by all!! The key is, you will have only these books to enjoy for the rest of your life. So, they should meet all the criteria you look for in a book. I can tell you that at least once a day I take out the Tec 27, Bat 1 and Cap 1 just to admire them. The lustre just doesn't wear off. So I could easily see myself being satisfied with those books (Plus my other 2 (3) choices) for all time!

Great choices so far by all!! The key is, you will have only these books to enjoy for the rest of your life. So, they should meet all the criteria you look for in a book. I can tell you that at least once a day I take out the Tec 27, Bat 1 and Cap 1 just to admire them. The lustre just doesn't wear off. So I could easily see myself being satisfied with those books (Plus my other 2 (3) choices) for all time!

well, I guess I didn't read the instructions!

naturally,

Action 1

Tec 27

Batman 1

Superman 1

All Star 3

rick

Since these are all I get for the rest of my life they also have to be great between the covers.....

1) Great #3 (the best comic cover to cover ever put together. I mean, the back cover alone is worth the price of admission)

2) Marvel Mystery #9 ('nuff said)

3) Master #21 (a great team-up with Bulletman and Capt. Marvel, a vital part of the best origin story in all of comics, and the baddest of bad guys - Capt. Nazi.)

4) All-Star #3 (I know it is blasphemy for a Timely guy to pick a D.C. but you really can't get more bang for your buck than this book)

5) Sub-Mariner #1 (Forty pages of Everett Subby and the best Angel story ever, with zombies, a mad scientist and a haunted castle)

I'm not sure that I could pick just five.

I guess if I had to, my top five would be

1) Action 1

2) Detective 27

3) Marvel 1

4) Superman 1

5) Captain America 1

If we could have ten:

6) Detective 1

7) Detective 31

8) Adventure 40

9) More Fun 52

10) Black Cat Mysteries 50

Skipping the obvious top five...

Mask 2

Double Action 2

Detective 1

Human Torch 12

Fantastic 3

I think the above group would represent a nice cross section of companies, cover artists and time periods...with some true rarities thrown in.

Fantastic #3

Weird #1

Tec #31

Spirit #22

Monster #1 (Fiction House?)

Since these are all I get for the rest of my life they also have to be great between the covers.....

1) Great #3 (the best comic cover to cover ever put together. I mean, the back cover alone is worth the price of admission)

3) Master #21 (a great team-up with Bulletman and Capt. Marvel, a vital part of the best origin story in all of comics, and the baddest of bad guys - Capt. Nazi.)

4) All-Star #3 (I know it is blasphemy for a Timely guy to pick a D.C. but you really can't get more bang for your buck than this book)

5) Sub-Mariner #1 (Forty pages of Everett Subby and the best Angel story ever, with zombies, a mad scientist and a haunted castle)

How about showing us a scan of the back cover of Great Comics 3?

Easy question for me...

1.) All American 16

2.) Marvel Mystery 9

3.) More Fun 52

4.) Action 1

5.) Tec 29

...at least I currently own one of these. 893applaud-thumb.gif

How about showing us a scan of the back cover of Great Comics 3?

I will be soon! I am waiting for it to get back from CGC. I read in BZ's thread that you like the fact that his books aren't encapsulated. I held of from doing so for the longest time. But I like to share them and the first thing folks do when you hand them a book in a mylar is take it out. If I'm trying to sell something I have no problem with it. But when they are books from my collection, I really cringe. It can be an uncomfortable feeling. So when the Great 3 gets back it will be seen through a layer of plastic. Sorry.

Action 1

Action 1

Action 1

Action 1

Action 1

Bed....I agree with you on #4 (one of my choices) and I think I will have to search out a copy of master 21!

rick

# 1 Adventure 40

# 2 Detective 1

# 3 Suspense Comics 3

# 4 The Black Terror 1

# 5 Forbidden Worlds 1

If ashcans could be included I would switch Tec 1 for The Action Comics 1 Ashcan because it is such a cool Creig Flessel cover and it was never published anywhere else.

Action 1 - mostly for the Zatara story, which is just cloud9.gif

'Tec 1 - just so i can put my hands on it daily

Fairy Tale Parade 8 - so i can put it under my pillow every night. plus it's just got a great Kelly cover that i doubt i would get tired of.

National 1 - because someone has to stand up for Quality, dammit

Marvel 1 - Timely representin'. plus, you get 2 good stories and one decent one. confused-smiley-013.gif

would probably on any given day swap out the 'Tec 1 for 'Tec 27 or really any other pre-Robin 'Tec

I'd want.......

Detective Comics #27

. Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

. Action Comics #1

. Marvel Comics #1

. Captain America Comics #1

......and Wonder Comics #1

If ashcans could be included I would switch Tec 1 for The Action Comics 1 Ashcan because it is such a cool Creig Flessel cover and it was never published anywhere else.

I forgot about ashcans. I might substitute Tec 1 for the Superwoman ashcan. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif