• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could only have 5 golden age comics

89 posts in this topic

Id stop at four. I have no particular preference for a fifth book beuond:

Action 1

Detective 27

Superman 1

Batman 1

come to think about it, maybe just the first three.

Aman, perhaps you could swap the Supey for the Bat, if you are only going to get four books. There is SO much more between the pages in the Bat 1 than the Supey 1!

Action 1

Detective 27

Superman 1

Batman 1

Aman, perhaps you could swap the Supey for the Bat, if you are only going to get four books. There is SO much more between the pages in the Bat 1 than the Supey 1!

I was thinking the same thing. Not that it matters with regards to hypothetical choices.

How about showing us a scan of the back cover of Great Comics 3?

Cue to AdamStrange

I'll try to get to it but just got a new PC so got a lot going on right now.

Action 1

Detective 27

Superman 1

Batman 1

I agree, Bat 1 has way morre content than the reprint Superman 1. But I cant get away from the whole value aspect. Superman 1 is much tougher book than Batman 1 which iften seems plentiful. So I guess, my list is really just 2 books : )

marvel 1

mm 9

tec 27

action 1

cap 1

<Ciorac wipes a tear from his eye as he reads Billy Parker's response.....> He chose a DC!!!!!! AND it is my favorite book! yay.gif

LMAO! 'Course, it took good 'ol Tec 27 to pull Timely...err, I mean Billy over to the dark side. 27_laughing.gif

Action 1

Detective 27

Superman 1

Batman 1

I agree, Bat 1 has way morre content than the reprint Superman 1. But I cant get away from the whole value aspect. Superman 1 is much tougher book than Batman 1 which iften seems plentiful. So I guess, my list is really just 2 books : )

My list only had one! grin.gif

If the deal is these are the only Golden Age books you could ever have, and you could never have any more (and I'm assuming if you sold these you couldn't replace them), then wouldn't value become negligible in determining your list? I wouldn't think you would ever consider selling them as they are your only and last five. Their value to you would thus be priceless, whichever five you choose.

If the deal is these are the only Golden Age books you could ever have, and you could never have any more (and I'm assuming if you sold these you couldn't replace them), then wouldn't value become negligible in determining your list? I wouldn't think you would ever consider selling them as they are your only and last five. Their value to you would thus be priceless, whichever five you choose.

But wouldn't 5 Action 1s be cool! confused-smiley-013.gif

I think you know me well enough that picking just 5 books would be an impossible task. If I was to answer which 50 books then I might be able to do it, though I'm not sure any of the big books would be on the list. But that's me.

I think you know me well enough that picking just 5 books would be an impossible task. If I was to answer which 50 books then I might be able to do it, though I'm not sure any of the big books would be on the list. But that's me.

But aren't the lists that don't include big $$$$$ keys more intriguing. I would love to hear your true top 5 desert island books! I know that probably very few of them have been mentioned here. Having seen some of your amazing books, it would be near impossilble to pick just five. But let me take a shot..............

1) Sub-Mariner 32

2) Venus 19

3) Seven Seas 6

4) Weird Mysteries 4

5) Real Life 3

Am I in the ballpark?

But aren't the lists that don't include big $$$$$ keys more intriguing. I would love to hear your true top 5 desert island books! I know that probably very few of them have been mentioned here. Having seen some of your amazing books, it would be near impossilble to pick just five. But let me take a shot..............

1) Sub-Mariner 32

2) Venus 19

3) Seven Seas 6

4) Weird Mysteries 4

5) Real Life 3

Am I in the ballpark?

My list included the big $$$$$ keys, but as you mentioned money is not a factor. The books I chose (inclduing the Jo-Jo) just exude everything that is pure and attractive to me about comics in the first place. My learned friend Wrong Russ (in a rare moment of lucidity) once opined that he would be happiest if Action 1 plummeted in value to the point where he could scoop a couple up. I completely understand where he is coming from.

There's still way more than 5 that I think are great comics so picking just 5 is arbitrary -- my answer would vary from one day to the next. An answer would look something like this:

Carl Barks "Ghost of the Grotto" or "Christmas for Shacktown"

Will Eisner "Gerhard Schnobble"

Harvey Kurtzman "If" or "Corpse on the Imjun" (I'm to lazy to look up the issue #s)

Bernard Krigstein "Master Race" from Impact #1

Bill Everett "Cartoonist Calamity" from Venus 17

Since value doesn't matter, this list is different than most.

Four Color 9

Happy Comics 34

Christmas Parade 1

Marvel Mystery Comics 9

Haunt of Fear 19

I've given this some thought and realized if I could only have 5 books, that I'd personally enjoy having a run of something. So I'm going to go with Captain America Comics 1-5. I think that's the run I'd enjoy the most. And it would give me something to build on later.

I'm surprised so many people are picking All Star #3 - just sitting around a table is pretty boring, later issues where they are in action together are much more exciting.

Silver Streak #6

Marvel Mystery #9

Batman #1

Great Comics #3

Superman #14

I'm surprised so many people are picking All Star #3 - just sitting around a table is pretty boring, later issues where they are in action together are much more exciting.

Silver Streak #6

Marvel Mystery #9

Batman #1

Great Comics #3

Superman #14

This is my favorite list so far!

Silver Streak #6

Marvel Mystery #9

Batman #1

Great Comics #3

Superman #14

That's because Sean....AKA Crowzilla is one of the most knowledgable collectors on the planet!

Steve

Silver Streak #6

Marvel Mystery #9

Batman #1

Great Comics #3

Superman #14

That's because Sean....AKA Crowzilla is one of the most knowledgable collectors on the planet!

Steve

Apparently so!

Silver Streak #6

Marvel Mystery #9

Batman #1

Great Comics #3

Superman #14

Steve

Um, you have a little....uh...something...uh...brown thing...on your nose...