• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legion of Super Heroes...silver age to present!

323 posts in this topic

For me, I trace my love of the Legion back to buying this book off the rack new (not this copy...it is the Montrerey cloud9.gif mine was too well loved) and reading it cover to cover over and over! I loved this book! This Legion story reprinted within has nostalgia just dripping off it for me!

dc10021a.jpg

dc10021b.jpg

I loved these DC 100 pagers so much and particularly for the cover galleries! I just HAD to have the originals! Ah...the joys of being 11 in 1973...

adv332.jpg

I think this is the first comic I ever purchased and the one started me on collecting them. I bought a few to take with me on a summer driving vacation. we spent about 2 weeks and I must have read those books a half dozen times. Of course I HAD to pick up the next issue to find out Who Starfinger really was!

Something you guys don't see from me often....12 centers!

adv335.jpg

Beautiful Legion books posted! I will add some this weekend.

Interesting to see the prices realized on Legion books in the Heritage auction. More unpredictable than ever, the pricing rule is that that very high grade equals highest prices, regardless of the Overstreet guide.

The frenzy on Action #285 seems to have settled somewhat. The iconic cover to #285 meant that more copies were saved from new and so the supply in high grade is better than average for early 60s DC. The $1800 sale price probably better reflects its 9.4 value than the $3600 realized last time.

Adventures #290 and #293 in 9.2, at $567 and $507 respectively, went for less than I expected. Very nice books but not that magic NM!

Adventure #315 in 9.6 was a good price for a non Legion cover at $1135.

Adventure #346 in 9.4 was sold at a rather reckless $1135. Although no copies yet grade higher, the book is (in my opinion) only an OK NM. Tiny wear at the base of the spine, plus a slightly ragged looking black go-go square at the top of the spine makes it a less visually pleasing 9.4 than the sale price would suggest.

The #347 Boston 9.6 was the Legion prize of the whole bunch. #347 has always been a real problem to find in grade, and I believe this copy has the best investment potential of the group, though its whopping $1195 sale price could mean long term ownership is required. It is the only book of the bunch that I have not seen so nice before, and I have looked long and hard for all these issues!

One of my favorite stories!

wf142.jpg

Ah, The Composite Superman. I loved this story when I first saw it reprinted in SUPER TEAM FAMILY. The Legion statuettes in the Superman Museum inspired me to try and customize some the Aurora super hero models kits and turn them into Legionaries.

Sadly, as I entered my teenage years, these models ended up victims of a 4th of July M-80 attack.