• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Amazing Spider-Man Comic to Get?

47 posts in this topic

I'm with Piper (sorry, Nerf). Pick up a nice 50 with that classic cover of Spider-Man "quitting" and the first appearance of the Kingpin.

200 bones would get you a nice copy on ebay.

I'm with Piper (sorry, Nerf). Pick up a nice 50 with that classic cover of Spider-Man "quitting" and the first appearance of the Kingpin.

200 bones would get you a nice copy on ebay.

I was just joking...

As long as he doesn't want these in HG CGC

it doesn't really matter as far as competition.

insane.gifstooges.gif

Yeah, I'm pretty flexible on grade really- though if I can get one in mid-to high grade at a nice price, then I'll sometime pay the extra money.

There's a show coming up in a month or so where there is a copy of ASM 39 signed by Romita in probably VG+ (nothing wrong, just typical wear and tear) that I might be looking at for my next "target".

50 is definitely on the list. I'm not sure if the cover art or Kingpin's first appearance is what does it for me. smile.gif

I'm usually a little funny about buying my high-value comics in eBay for concern of being burned- we all know how subjective grading is. And since I don't collect slabbed comics, this is definitely something I need to watch out for. That's why I try to go to my local stores for the big issues (or am tired of hunting for random filler issues on eBay).

ASM#39 I think really defines the quality of Romita's work, its about as classic and dramatic a cover as any in the first 100 issues. Plus if the copy you buy is free of any glaring defects (miscut, rusted staples, etc) you will never had a problem flipping the book quickly if you need to.

You know, from a cost point of view, you could always look into high grade copies of PPSSM issues. The early stories were just as good as the stories in ASM, and some of the covers aren't bad either.

Yeah, I'm pretty flexible on grade really- though if I can get one in mid-to high grade at a nice price, then I'll sometime pay the extra money.

There's a show coming up in a month or so where there is a copy of ASM 39 signed by Romita in probably VG+ (nothing wrong, just typical wear and tear) that I might be looking at for my next "target".

50 is definitely on the list. I'm not sure if the cover art or Kingpin's first appearance is what does it for me. smile.gif

I'm usually a little funny about buying my high-value comics in eBay for concern of being burned- we all know how subjective grading is. And since I don't collect slabbed comics, this is definitely something I need to watch out for. That's why I try to go to my local stores for the big issues (or am tired of hunting for random filler issues on eBay).

Mac,

ebay is very midgrade CGC friendly. I've bought nice steals under guide in CGC 5.0-8.0 because the big players are looking for the uuber grades.

When you can get a CGC'd 7.0 cheaper than a raw advertised as such, why wouldn't you?

Oh yeah, minor point to have left out about that Romita ASM 39- it's signed by him. Granted, there isn't a COA, but it looks to be spot on. If I can get it for the right price, then that would be a pretty nice pick- even if it isn't legit.

I actually have a really nice run of PPSSM- numbers 1-20 with most in at least Fine or better. You're right, there are some that are pretty nice like the Morbious bit (though a few are questionable:).

I'm always torn when I see cheap slabbed comics because while I personally am not into them, I also am not comfortable with the idea of taking a comic out of the slab once it has been done. Seems like a waste of effort. But, while I'm not saying you can't find them out there, my experience has generally been that I can find a raw copy at a better price than slabbed. But, if it was an issue I was dying for... I might consider peeling off the plastic for the right price smile.gif

My second computer is selling at a really high price, so I might be able to look at more than one comic...

What's worse is the dealer just picked up a complete collection of ASM 1-300 so I literally feel like a kid with a handful of money at the candy store smile.gif

Well, I've decided to go with ASM 121 and 122 in 6.0-6.5. While he's asking around $115, I might see if he'll go $100 even for them. Either way, I think they'll make a a really nice addition to the collection.

Will post pics when I get back from teaching my morning class. Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, I've decided to go with ASM 121 and 122 in 6.0-6.5. While he's asking around $115, I might see if he'll go $100 even for them. Either way, I think they'll make a a really nice addition to the collection.

Will post pics when I get back from teaching my morning class. Thanks for the suggestions!

Good choice. Classic books!

I actually have a really nice run of PPSSM- numbers 1-20 with most in at least Fine or better. You're right, there are some that are pretty nice like the Morbious bit (though a few are questionable:).

How about the Carrion issues from PPSSM? They were pretty cool.

I liked them for sure. And please don't get me wrong, I really liked Tarantula, but I was a little surprised they gave him the opening issue when compared to some of the other villians in Spidey's rogues gallery. (Still good issues though).