• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SAW SPidermAN 3 WHO saw??

183 posts in this topic

Bottom of the three, Kevin, I'd agree. But, it was still far better than many of the others out there (a la Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Dare Devil, Hulk, X-Men 1-3, and the list goes on...). You're right to give high marks for Batman Begins though- lots of great stuff from Miller's Year One in there. Have to respect Nolan for giving proper respect to Miller. :-D

Hulk,Daredevil,Punisher,Blade 1& 2,X-Men 1 & 2 were all better than Spider-Man 3. Spider-Man 3 joins the list of disappointments; Fantastic Four,Blade Trinity,Ghost Rider and X-Men 3

Interesting to see the wide range of opinions on this and the other superhero movies.

I thought Hulk was the worst movie I've seen in 30 years. But I agree with you that X 1 and 2 and Blade 1 were better than Spidey 3. The rest, not so much.

I liked HULK, DD, and all the Spideys. X-men was ok( I had to rent them all as I was not interested in person).

I guess all the movie talk boils down to:

1) personal likes and tastes.

Nothing wrong if person A loved S -3 and person B hated it. We all can't like the same things. That is what makes the world go around...

I saw blog somewhere that help diffuse a lot of flaming on the IMDB - the Q that Blog owner posted was:

" Like or dislike is NOT the question of any produced feature film - the Q is: " Did the movie provide ENTERTAINMENT this is a 'yes' or 'no' question. "yes" please contribute - "no" duly noted and please move on.".

Then there was a TON of movies reviewed, most modern( 2000 up to this year), and yes, Spidey 3 had a LOT of posts. All Yes's.

CAL hi.gif

I seem to have recalled a LOT of disparity on the HULK movie - eother the fans loved it or just downright trashed it. The HULK did not even appear in green form until the halfway point of the movie and I think that this pushed many audience members' patience.... just my opinion.

CAL hi.gif

Hulk was artsy, and I liked it,People complain cause it wasn't all about smashing like people had hoped,but if it was then people would complain that it was all about smashing things...Ang Lee is a great director,he's very good at pacing since he's made mostly dramas,but with Hulk,general audiances didn't have the patients for it.It only took him 40 mintues into he movie to turn green....I thought Spider-Man took longer to get his suit on took longer in SM 1

It was the pacing of the Hulk movie that was the problem...it was dull with a capital D...

Jim

Unfortunately you are right JIM

the movie did seem slow moving, especially the first half.

but I still liked it a lot.

CAL hi.gif

Hulk was artsy, and I liked it,People complain cause it wasn't all about smashing like people had hoped,but if it was then people would complain that it was all about smashing things...Ang Lee is a great director,he's very good at pacing since he's made mostly dramas,but with Hulk,general audiances didn't have the patients for it.It only took him 40 mintues into he movie to turn green....I thought Spider-Man took longer to get his suit on took longer in SM 1

Ang Lee is great I must agree. Brokeback hurt him some.

CAL hi.gif

It was the pacing of the Hulk movie that was the problem...it was dull with a capital D...

Jim

Unfortunately you are right JIM

the movie did seem slow moving, especially the first half.

but I still liked it a lot.

CAL hi.gif

First comes the origin, then comes the transformation...he's not going to turn green at the opening scene.That would be too much in your face.

Saw it today and enjoyed it plenty thumbsup2.gif Inspired me to bust out this humble little book from my collection:

asm4.jpg

Sure there were elements that I didn't like but not enough to ruin the film IMHO.

put it back. 27_laughing.gif

First comes the origin, then comes the transformation...he's not going to turn green at the opening scene.That would be too much in your face.

You mean too fast for appearance??? Probably.

CAL hi.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saw it today and enjoyed it plenty Inspired me to bust out this humble little book from my collection:

Put it back??? I almost made that deal to trade 1 of each CGC 9.6/9.4/9.2/9.0 and ten raw 9.6's for that comic but decided against it!!!

CAL 27_laughing.gif

My impressions? I didn't like it much. I thought that for the money invested, a lot more care could have been taken in the directing and plotting. In no particular order ...

1. Very uneven in quality.

2. Not sure of the purpose in increasing the 'geek' factor in Peter Parker. Everything from the silly smile on his face as he rides his scooter to the "That's my girlfriend." remark at the theatre.

3. Being squeezed between the two fat men at the theatre was the first evidence of a strange sense of humour that pervaded the film.... i.e., I didn't understand why in a superhero fantasy film that seeks to create its own reality, a pastiche of Saturday Night fever was felt appropriate.

4. The scene in the jazz club reminded me of Jerry Lewis in the Nutty Professor.

5. The woman that played Aunt May stole every scene she was in. Great work.

6. Bryce Dallas Howard has a beautiful face but they hide her body in the movie. Was she out of shape for the part?

7. Too many villains = too much plot. They could have dropped Venom and the Sandman and simply concentrated on the Green Goblin & MJ.

8. What was the purpose of Gwen? I love the Gwen Stacey character from the books but they had already given MJ Gwen's personality in the films.

9. Didn't think that the Sandman was needed in such a disjointed film -- but his scenes were very good -- believable pathos.

10. I quit reading the comic book in '73 when they killed off Gwen, so the Venom character is new to me. I thought that Topher Grace acted well but the Venom character is not easy to understand.

11. Peter and MJ in a large spider web?

12. Why doesn't MJ say something to Peter when she meets him on the bridge to 'break up' with him? Has she no faith that Spider-man can defeat Harry?

No, I wasn't a happy camper after Spider-Man 3.

My 12¢.

Dennis

My impressions? I didn't like it much. I thought that for the money invested, a lot more care could have been taken in the directing and plotting. In no particular order ...

2. Not sure of the purpose in increasing the 'geek' factor in Peter Parker. Everything from the silly smile on his face as he rides his scooter to the "That's my girlfriend." remark at the theatre.

3. Being squeezed between the two fat men at the theatre was the first evidence of a strange sense of humour that pervaded the film.... i.e., I didn't understand why in a superhero fantasy film that seeks to create its own reality, a pastiche of Saturday Night fever was felt appropriate.

4. The scene in the jazz club reminded me of Jerry Lewis in the Nutty Professor.

6. Bryce Dallas Howard has a beautiful face but they hide her body in the movie. Was she out of shape for the part?

7. Too many villains = too much plot. They could have dropped Venom and the Sandman and simply concentrated on the Green Goblin & MJ.

8. What was the purpose of Gwen? I love the Gwen Stacey character from the books but they had already given MJ Gwen's personality in the films.

9. Didn't think that the Sandman was needed in such a disjointed film -- but his scenes were very good -- believable pathos.

10. I quit reading the comic book in '73 when they killed off Gwen, so the Venom character is new to me. I thought that Topher Grace acted well but the Venom character is not easy to understand.

12. Why doesn't MJ say something to Peter when she meets him on the bridge to 'break up' with him? Has she no faith that Spider-man can defeat Harry?

My 12¢.

Dennis

1-12 I agree completely.

My 12¢.

Dennis

1-12 I agree completely.

Watching the last 15 minutes of Spider Man again the other night, only reminded me of how diminished the quality of number 3 was compared to the first two.

I am truly amazed that the people lauding the movie are so strong in their opinions.

I really have my fingers crossed that they reboot now.

McGuire is 32 now. Does it really make sense to shoot for a 40 year old Tobey for Spider Man 6?

crazy.gif

It's at 621 million worldwide as of today, looks like it's doing allright.

Yes, it's doing alright for now.

Not sure if it's going to have the legs to beat Spidey 2, especially considering the 60% drop in the weekend box office take over the opening weekend. It's also falling about $14 million behind Spidey 2 after the second weekend.

Hard to do a straight comparison, however, since Spidey 2 opened on a Wednesday which means it has two extra days of box office tickets sales. Of course, since we are talking about gross dollars, I am also sure the price of a ticket must be higher for Spidey 3 as opposed to Spidey 2.

That is why I will always see Gone with the Wind as the real box office champ because it was able to generate its almost $200 million in sales when ticket prices was something like 25 cents or 50 cents a shot as opposed to the $10 or $12 which we have today. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought the movie was ok. More importantly, my wife, who's entire knowledge of Spidey comes from the 60's cartoon, thoroughly enjoyed it. She remembered Sandman but wondered what the deal was with that crazy alien thing creature .

I've seen a lot worse movies. Simply put, it was 2 hours worth of entertainment.

That is why I will always see Gone with the Wind as the real box office champ because it was able to generate its almost $200 million in sales when ticket prices was something like 25 cents or 50 cents a shot as opposed to the $10 or $12 which we have today.

Try 10 cents.

This post does have merit; "GWTW" WAS for DECADES the leading Box Office Ticket seller.

CAL news.gif

I thought the movie was ok. More importantly, my wife, who's entire knowledge of Spidey comes from the 60's cartoon, thoroughly enjoyed it. She remembered Sandman but wondered what the deal was with that crazy alien thing creature .

I've seen a lot worse movies. Simply put, it was 2 hours worth of entertainment.

I seen S 3 three times now.

The first two it seemed like EVERY seat was taken. I have been going to the movies for over 40 years and I NEVER saw that and I wish I could say I was exaggerating but I am not.

I remember when the "social" buzz was JAWS in 1975 - ehhh

I remember when Rocky came out the next year - not too many seats empty

I remember when Titanic - the movie that was touted to overtake GWTW, the Godfather, yadda yadda, and there were plenty of seats

Forrest Gump -same-o same-o

S 1/S 2 - plenty of seats

S 3 - sold a LOT of tickets.

CAL the movie fan hi.gif