• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SAW SPidermAN 3 WHO saw??

183 posts in this topic

I still loved it. I know the whole plot wouldn't have worked without a half dozen coincedences but I still loved it. My wife loved it and she doesn't like comics. My son loved it and he only likes TinTin. My nephew loved it and he's probably never read a comic book in his life. My niece loved it and she's a teenage gurl.

It was no Casablanca but we have to remember the old Hollywood dictum, "Spoon has it's own integrity". Didn't you love the fights with Sandman? And howzabout the way Harry turns it all around? And the way Sandman becomes Sandman? And the sleezeball slumlord and his skinny daughter? And the fights in mid air? And the big tongue coming out of the black monster (is that Venom-- I haven't followed the comic recently)? Or Peter shoving the slimey reporter up against the wall just like he deserved? Or everything J.Jonah Jameson did? Or the scene in the restaurant? Or the people in the theatre whispering up and down the rows when Stan Lee came on? And everything else, too!!!!!

This film will be in theatres forever!!

I just threw up in my mouth a little!! insane.gif

i swear you guys are looking for the god father in a comic book movie

I think Id agree. Sadly I guess these movies are made to appeal to the broadest audience possible. The Peter Parker dancing scenes believe it or not was a huge hit among everyone I spoke to who saw the movie and in the theater (I saw it twice btw.) That is part of the appeal of Peter Parker and in my opinion why Spider-Man is so hugely popular. He's a dork who plays a super hero and I thought those scenes conveyed that very well. Honestly for me the scenes I liked the least were the ones with Venom, the CGI that created him was a bit much for me. Overall did I think it was a great movie on the level of Spider-Man 2 ? No but I thought it was very entertaining and had a lot of elements to make it appeal to a very wide audience. Hey if this is as bad as it gets sign me up for comic book movies this bad.

No offense, but some of you all are nuts with your negative comments about SM #3. It was way better than the offtrack Batman and or post 1 & 2 Superman movies. Pull out the old Spider-Man comics in the single and two digit range (that's 1-99!). Tell me the plots are tight and there aren't holes everywhere? This was a good comic movie that made real attempts at getting to the heart of what makes Spider-Man great. It wasn't as good as #2, but it was a good movie, and it's always going to be impossible for any movie to capture 45 years of Spidey comics heritage. If you are truly a Spider-Man fan and have been collecting and reading the comics for years like I have, you are always being forced to look past problems with the story, poor art, bad lettering, stupid twists and turns, but if you are still a Spidey fan, you pull out the good stuff and thrive on it.

Of course, this is all simply my opinion, but this was a movie filled with many of the themes that make Spidey, well, Spidey. OK, enough of my soapbox. I am now stepping down...

V/R

Mike

i swear you guys are looking for the god father in a comic book movie

I think Id agree. Sadly I guess these movies are made to appeal to the broadest audience possible. The Peter Parker dancing scenes believe it or not was a huge hit among everyone I spoke to who saw the movie and in the theater (I saw it twice btw.) That is part of the appeal of Peter Parker and in my opinion why Spider-Man is so hugely popular. He's a dork who plays a super hero and I thought those scenes conveyed that very well. Honestly for me the scenes I liked the least were the ones with Venom, the CGI that created him was a bit much for me. Overall did I think it was a great movie on the level of Spider-Man 2 ? No but I thought it was very entertaining and had a lot of elements to make it appeal to a very wide audience. Hey if this is as bad as it gets sign me up for comic book movies this bad.

Here, here!

V/R,

Mike

Saw it for a second time Sunday afternoon -= this time w/ wife and kids in tow. They ALL loved it and thought that S - 3 was the best one yet! Now the catch: It was me and 3 females. They all liked the cat-and-mouse between Peter parker/MJ/Gwen/Harry, etc. Let's face it - us macho guys want Clint eastwood and Spidey to kick some can, not "kissee-poo".

Macho CAL sumo.gif

My kids and I thought it was the best movie Marvel ever made better then all the rest of them combined smile.gif WOW I usually don't like when they get so far off the storyline of the comics, but this interpretation/representation was point on cool.

A little hurried maybe but now that they say it concludes the 1st trilogy we will see insane stuff in the next set for sure. I am behind Marvel 100%

MAKE MINE MARVEL!

It's obvious that this is one of those movies that either

you love it or you hate it...

I love it! I thought it was great and even the issues that I had with it

immediately after watching it are starting to grow on me.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif / out of five!

It's obvious that this is one of those movies that either

you love it or you hate it...

I love it! I thought it was great and even the issues that I had with it

immediately after watching it are starting to grow on me.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif / out of five!

It is amazing isn't it? It's like every other post starts out, "I hated it" or "I loved it".

I'm curious, I've seen a lot of groups/families that all either didn't like it or did like it. Were there any groups/families that left after watching it completely at odds? I've noticed over the years how much the people you watch a movie with can impact myour view or enjoyment of it.

Just like my group, we all felt disappointed, in a 2 star Superman returns sort of way.

I watched the film on Friday and was a bit disappointed. I do agree with previous reviewers that the film felt rushed, there were cringe type moments, and a lot of plot holes. That being said, I'd still rank it way above films like Superman Returns, Hulk, and FF1, which didn't do anything for me. I loved Spider-Man II, and SM I grew on me once I got past the cringe type moments (Green Goblin suit, victims turning into cartoonish like skeletons, and Norman saying "Oh" as his glider pierced his body). Even though I'd only give the 3rd installment 3/5 stars I'm still hoping that once I get passed the cring moments I'll enjoy it a lot more.

The next film should definitely have a lot little less hectic action, and more robust story telling with intrigue, dialogue and mystery. That's why someone like Kraven, Mysterio or perhaps the Vulture being played by someone like De Niro would work better. They can throw a second tier villain in there like Rhino as someone that Spidey defeats within the first 5 minutes of the film (a la James Bond). I'm not sure if Electro or Scorpion would translate too well on screen.

I'm actually on the border with this movie. Is it better than the first two? I don't think so. Is it worse than any other comic movie out there? Probably not. In fact, I'd say the only other comic-based movie that did better than ASM 3 (aside from ASM 1 & 2) would be Batman Begins- and only by a slight margin. And that's arguable.

I felt it was rushed with multiple villains, love interests, friends, etc. Maybe if we just focused on one bad guy, it would have been easier to develop some of the other threads. While there were some scenes that were cringe-worthy (dancing scene, Peter walking down the streets of NYC a la John Travolta) they did still play into some of the early camp of Spider-Man. I think part of what is hard for some of the fanboys is the seriousness of ASM 2 juxtaposed against the more fun and humor filled ASM 3. Sure, there are some serious aspects in the 3- they're not throwing out all of their character development, etc. But while ASM 3 may not be the best of the trilogy, I think it could be seen as the most fun.

And as someone else said earlier, this isn't necessarily the Comic Fans' Spider-Man, but the Hollywood version of our favorite wall-crawler. Not everything is going to go exactly according to Spider-canon. Instead, we can appreciate moments like the church which Raimi draws heavily upon scenes from the books (i.e. Web #1, ASM #300, etc) and see those little snippets where OUR comics come to life.

But, those are just my two cents :-D

I echo what others have said. There is a great movie in there and all it needs is 10-15 minutes of cuts and maybe restoring some deleted footage (Said to total at least 30 minutes including 3 different endings) and you have another classic superhero movie on your hands. As it is it's no Batman Begins but then what is?

As it is though and without nitpicking the movie did it's job and that was to entertain me for 2 1/2 hours. I won't go over what didn't work as we all know what that is (Sandman killing Uncle Ben, Harry's costume, not enough Venom, the ending, 70's music in the street, the Jazz club scene, the butler scene, the singing, etc) but im still happy with the final product and a great trilogy. Here is hoping we'll get a new cut on DVD though and with all the box office records it's breaking it's a pretty safe bet once they have released the initial theatrical DVD and the trilogy on Blu-Ray come Novemeber.

Well, I was going to go see the movie this weekend, but after reading these reviews I am not sure...here is why.

I HATE movies like Batman and Robin: overblown, huge hype, waaaay to many villains and to much going on to really have a plot, ETC.

Sounds like Spiderman 3 went down this path.

Do I rent it?

Well, I was going to go see the movie this weekend, but after reading these reviews I am not sure...here is why.

I HATE movies like Batman and Robin: overblown, huge hype, waaaay to many villains and to much going on to really have a plot, ETC.

Do I rent it?

it's not as bad as batman and robin. i'd say 3 1/2 out of 5. i don't expect much from movies based on comics. i say go see it.

The more I think about SM 3, the more I don't like it. Lizard should be in the 4th one,and of course once Kraven learns of The Lizard,he'll try and kill him and spider-man will try and stop him cause he's his friend. Hollywood always seems to go with the "Bigger is Better" in mind,They should take a step back to make a better movie.

Do I rent it?

Rent it...Too many characters,over hyped,way too many lame scenes,stupid dialoge ect...

Saw it yesterday. I give it a 3 star or a B- grade. Plot certainly wasn't great but the fight scenes were good. Nothing exciting. I did get even more excited about the F4 new movie after seeing the extended trailer on the big screen. Silver Surfer looked GOOD. Can't wait and I hope it is better than a B-.

i had fairly low expectations going in and those were being met until the jazz club scene.

after that it spiraled down to the point where I'd rather have watched The Phantom Menace.