• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SAW SPidermAN 3 WHO saw??

183 posts in this topic

I thought the movie was ok. More importantly, my wife, who's entire knowledge of Spidey comes from the 60's cartoon, thoroughly enjoyed it. She remembered Sandman but wondered what the deal was with that crazy alien thing creature .

I've seen a lot worse movies. Simply put, it was 2 hours worth of entertainment.

Everyone I know who isn't a comic book guy really liked the movie. It seems that only the comic readers are disappointed. I guess the movie just isn't as good as the book, but if you haven't read the book.........

Mike

The first two it seemed like EVERY seat was taken. I have been going to the movies for over 40 years and I NEVER saw that and I wish I could say I was exaggerating but I am not.

I saw it on Saturday with DAM60 and a couple of his friends. The theater was maybe a third full at best. confused-smiley-013.gif

My impressions? I didn't like it much. I thought that for the money invested, a lot more care could have been taken in the directing and plotting.

Agreed. It was very uneven, lacking in plot/story and overly special-effects driven. The final battle scene reminded me of the final battle scene in The Hulk, and was just as disappointing.

7. Too many villains = too much plot. They could have dropped Venom and the Sandman and simply concentrated on the Green Goblin & MJ.

I don't know that people would have wanted to see the GG be the sole focus of another Spidey film, but there was definitely too much going on. Thomas Hayden Church did an excellent job as the Sandman, but did not get enough screen time between the Venom and GG sub-plots.

10. I quit reading the comic book in '73 when they killed off Gwen, so the Venom character is new to me. I thought that Topher Grace acted well but the Venom character is not easy to understand.

I've always felt the Venom character was stupid and out of place in the Spidey universe, though at least the movie version focused more on bringing out the dark side in people and less on the brain-eating alien symbiote nonsense part. foreheadslap.gif

12. Why doesn't MJ say something to Peter when she meets him on the bridge to 'break up' with him? Has she no faith that Spider-man can defeat Harry?

Seriously, this was one of those movie moments that throws the larger credibility of the film into question. Another was when "I...forgive you" was uttered. That was idiotic - I would take 2 stars off of my rating just for that, but then I would have ended up with a zero star rating for this film.

No, I wasn't a happy camper after Spider-Man 3.

Neither was I. I give it a charitable 2 out of 5 stars. Spidey 1 and 2 were both 4 or 5 star efforts, I thought, so this was terribly disappointing. I was prepared for a sub-par performance after the savaging the film has taken from critics everywhere, but it failed to live up to even my very low expectations.

Sorry, Cal. sorry.gif

Hulk was more about Kris Kristoffersons' character than anyone else. And I found that character boring.

I think you mean Nick Nolte. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif

See how boring he was? He even came across as one of the most boring actors of all time! 27_laughing.gif

Neither was I. I give it a charitable 2 out of 5 stars. Spidey 1 and 2 were both 4 or 5 star efforts, I thought, so this was terribly disappointing. I was prepared for a sub-par performance after the savaging the film has taken from critics everywhere, but it failed to live up to even my very low expectations.

Sorry, Cal.

Thats ok Gene

we all can't be crazy over the same things.

CAL hi.gif

Just saw the movie. Overall, I'd say it was the worst of the bunch but still enjoyable. Some comments (Spoilers ahead):

- Since when did MJ become so shallow and self-absorbed? Seemed like I was watching a different character than the first two movies...

- The special effects were quite good...

- Bruce Campbell's cameo was great. Best of the three films and very funny...

- I don't have a major problem with Sandman being responsible for Ben's death. What I did mind was SM just letting him go free at the end. He just put MJ through hell but SM lets him go without any repercussions? Is SM a hero or not? This is the second film I've watched this summer where there's no satisfying resolution at the end (Grindhouse was the other)...

- Stan Lee's cameo was the best in any Marvel movie so far...

- I liked Topher Grace's character...Venom not so much...

- Does Harry's butler moonlight on CSI? His revelation to Harry about his father's death felt conveniently tacked on to resolve a plot point...

- I could have done with less of dancing Peter...

- The meeting between Sandman and Venom. Did they just pull out the -script from Batman Returns and replace the word "The Bat" with "The Spider"? Seriously...

Again, overall not a bad film but not as good as the prior two. I will say that if the FF movie is even half as good as the trailer then I'll be quite pleased. But I'm not holding my breath...

Jim

Just saw the movie. Overall, I'd say it was the worst of the bunch but still enjoyable. Some comments (Spoilers ahead):

- Since when did MJ become so shallow and self-absorbed? Seemed like I was watching a different character than the first two movies...

- The special effects were quite good...

- Bruce Campbell's cameo was great. Best of the three films and very funny...

- I don't have a major problem with Sandman being responsible for Ben's death. What I did mind was SM just letting him go free at the end. He just put MJ through hell but SM lets him go without any repercussions? Is SM a hero or not? This is the second film I've watched this summer where there's no satisfying resolution at the end (Grindhouse was the other)...

- Stan Lee's cameo was the best in any Marvel movie so far...

- I liked Topher Grace's character...Venom not so much...

- Does Harry's butler moonlight on CSI? His revelation to Harry about his father's death felt convienently tacked on to resolve a plot point...

- I could have done with less of dancing Peter...

- The meeting between Sandman and Venom. Did they just pull out the -script from Batman Returns and replace the word "The Bat" with "The Spider"? Seriously...

Again, overall not a bad film but as good as the prior two. I will say that if the FF movie is even half as good as the trailer then I'll be quite pleased. But I'm not holding my breath...

Jim

I agreed with the first two things you said, but then your signature came into focus again and I couldn't read the rest.

insane.gif

At the beginning of the movie, I had to run out and ask the manager to focus the film. At the end of the movie, I realized that it was probably out of focus for a reason.

The effects were great. Goth Peter was pretty bad. Overall, it was heaven when compared to that seventies tv show I remember watching as a kid. I try to keep it in perspective.

Strange feeling of deja vu here.

Haven't seen Spidey 3 yet, so I can't comment on this. After all of the Spidey hype though, I finally got around to watching Spidey 2 on DVD last weekend. I know, I know! screwy.gif

Not sure if it's just me and the wife, but we felt like key parts of the storyline were very similar to Superman 2. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just saw it last night, and thought it was the weakest of the Spiderman movies and had too much going on at the expense of plot and character development, but walked out satisfied enough. (No FF trailer, but they did have a display with a mostly life-sized Silver Surfer in the lobby.)

So, did anybody besides myself and the missus notice how much lipstick the Sandman was sporting? If you haven't seen it yet, take a look, esecially in the close-ups.

I saw it Friday for the first time. Here are my thoughts on it in 3 bullets:

- Decent action sequences

- CGI'd humans still looks very bad

- Too much crying

Saw the movie yesterday. I thought it wasn't the best of the bunch...but it wasn't really a bad movie either. Looked like it won't hurt the overall comic or movie industry.

Nerd alert....

one thing I noticed and didn't buy was Sandman crying near the end, you know the whole sand/water antithesis thing.

Also, had the wife go with me for this one(she is NOT a fan and hadn't seen any of the other two Spidey films). Her #1 thought was that Spidey was a wimp who cried too much.

Aw, he's no wimp! Those were tears of joy from seeing that fat check!

27_laughing.gif

I had to reread your post...at first I thought you said "fat chick", and I was trying

to figure out what that meant. oops.

One of the things that makes snicker even more a this flick

is one of the critical reviews I read where the only downside peter

endured durring his blacksuit stent was an over zealous characterization

of a modern day "Buddy Love"...

sjff_03_img1191.jpg

27_laughing.gif