• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hake's comes up with a GA unrestored Key!

96 posts in this topic

I just read Hake's Terms of Sale. It appears I can't pay with a credit card. frown.gif

Oh well.

Hey, this is Mike with Hake's here. I just wanted to clarify our Terms of Sale. We DO accept credit cards. The buyer's premium is the only thing that is affected by your form of payment. If you choose to pay for your winnings with a credit card, the buyer's premium is 15%, if you choose check or money order, the buyer's premium is reduced to 13%. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Happy Bidding!

Hake's Americana & Collectibles

I just read Hake's Terms of Sale. It appears I can't pay with a credit card. frown.gif

Oh well.

Hey, this is Mike with Hake's here. I just wanted to clarify our Terms of Sale. We DO accept credit cards. The buyer's premium is the only thing that is affected by your form of payment. If you choose to pay for your winnings with a credit card, the buyer's premium is 15%, if you choose check or money order, the buyer's premium is reduced to 13%. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Happy Bidding!

Hake's Americana & Collectibles

this is true, I paid last time with CC...

rick

Who cares about the Marvel 1!

Especially since I notice that they have a copy of my grail book in this auction. A never before seen copy of Boy Comics #17. And to top it off, the actual Church copy at less than 2X condition guide.........what a bargain!

And most of all, sitting in a blue CGC 9.0 slab so that I know that it hasn't been restored or worked on in any way whatsoever. At long last, my dream come true. cloud9.gif

Here's the "other" Boy Comics #17 CGC 9.0 on the census... poke2.gif

241144500_c15234f6ff_b.jpg

GE

let me make a prediction...no action at all...zero bids at a $90K starting price frown.gif

on the other hand, start at $40K, and some action...

gator

Ill second Ricks opinion and go a little further.Ill quarentee it dosnt get a bid a 90k !

I have to third that ( and second my own opinion)...considering the clink cage 6.0 looks nicer, and is priced $23K cheaper...I can't imagine anyone even sniffing the hakes copy...

rick

Yes. But the Cage 6.0 has a tiny tear seal on the back.

S

let me make a prediction...no action at all...zero bids at a $90K starting price frown.gif

on the other hand, start at $40K, and some action...

gator

Ill second Ricks opinion and go a little further.Ill quarentee it dosnt get a bid a 90k !

I have to third that ( and second my own opinion)...considering the clink cage 6.0 looks nicer, and is priced $23K cheaper...I can't imagine anyone even sniffing the hakes copy...

rick

Yes. But the Cage 6.0 has a tiny tear seal on the back.

S

really?...it is not noted on the cgc label (or maybe it is, as I missed it, since it is in a BLUE label)...just goes to show you what I know (or don't know)

rick

Are "tiny tear seals" not reconsidered restoration?

Anyway, The Hake's MC 1 looks familiar. I believe I saw a scan (on this site) of the book in it's raw state being hawked by a dealer a number of months ago? At that time I wondered what CGC would grade the book since my eyes were immediately drawn to the spinewear.

there are no tear seals noted on the Clink Cage copy....but, if I recall, there were 2 cage copies, an Oct and a Nov...maybe it is the Oct copy that has the tear seals?

rick

Especially since I notice that they have a copy of my grail book in this auction. A never before seen copy of Boy Comics #17. And to top it off, the actual Church copy at less than 2X condition guide.........what a bargain!

And most of all, sitting in a blue CGC 9.0 slab so that I know that it hasn't been restored or worked on in any way whatsoever. At long last, my dream come true. cloud9.gif

This might be my favorite post of the year so far.

I'm sure you'll face some heavy competition for this fresh copy that has never appeared at (Hake's) auction before.

this one should see some action.............

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=191&ItemNo=55382

You can have it. I'm waiting for 9.2 Church copy of Boy Comics #17. cloud9.gif

This might be my favorite post of the year so far.

I'm sure you'll face some heavy competition for this fresh copy that has never appeared at (Hake's) auction before.

That Boy Comics is a major steal, the "deal of the day". When I win it I am going to send it off for some restoration and get it up to a 9.6. I know it can be done.

there are no tear seals noted on the Clink Cage copy....but, if I recall, there were 2 cage copies, an Oct and a Nov...maybe it is the Oct copy that has the tear seals?

rick

No, it was the November copy that had it. At least it had it when I sold it to him.

S

rick

No, it was the November copy that had it. At least it had it when I sold it to him.

S

interesting...not sure, but I didn't see it listed on the label , so I guess CGC missed it?

rick

rick

S

interesting...not sure, but I didn't see it listed on the label , so I guess CGC missed it?

rick

Maybe someone "unsealed" it? confused-smiley-013.gif

rick

S

ok, i'm in the middle of my cage catalog, looking at full page pix of both marvel 1's. november copy is 6.0, c/ow, NO notes or any kind. october copy is 5.0, same pages, NO notes of any kind. i don't think cgc misses a tear seal on such a big book, thus i believe it was unsealed prior to encapsulation.

and the new 6.0 on hakes offers the best evidence i've seen yet on the oct. v. nov. printing issue. look at the hakes book; the cut of the cover gave it alot of room at the bottom of the graphics [lots of pink below 'action, mystery, adventure'], but actually cut off the top of the logo so you don't even see the red outline on the top of the letters. that in turn brought the price circle way up toward the top edge of the book. whoever came in with what must have been a hand stamp with 'nov' carefully placed it in the little gap left between the circle and the top edge--it ends up where 'nov' and the circle are almost touching. on the cage book, as well as my copy posted elsewhere on these boards, there's a much larger space between 'nov' and the circle, as there was ample room b/w the circle and the top edge to place it. on hake's book there was very little room, so the gap is gone. quite obvious difference, which certainly would not have existed if the blackout and 'nov' had been part of a printing process; 'nov' would've suffered the same fate as the red outline at the top and essentially been cut in half. pretty clear october copies hand-manipulated to go out later; at least clear to me.

this one should see some action.............

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=191&ItemNo=55382

You can have it. I'm waiting for 9.2 Church copy of Boy Comics #17. cloud9.gif

Adam;

On second thought, you are absolutely right since 9.0 is just such an unlucky number for me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My two favourite numbers are 4.0 and 7.5. Now if the book had either of those two lucky numbers instead, I would be just so estatic and be willing to bid that much more for the book. foreheadslap.gif

and the new 6.0 on hakes offers the best evidence i've seen yet on the oct. v. nov. printing issue. look at the hakes book; the cut of the cover gave it alot of room at the bottom of the graphics [lots of pink below 'action, mystery, adventure'], but actually cut off the top of the logo so you don't even see the red outline on the top of the letters. that in turn brought the price circle way up toward the top edge of the book. whoever came in with what must have been a hand stamp with 'nov' carefully placed it in the little gap left between the circle and the top edge--it ends up where 'nov' and the circle are almost touching. on the cage book, as well as my copy posted elsewhere on these boards, there's a much larger space between 'nov' and the circle, as there was ample room b/w the circle and the top edge to place it. on hake's book there was very little room, so the gap is gone. quite obvious difference, which certainly would not have existed if the blackout and 'nov' had been part of a printing process; 'nov' would've suffered the same fate as the red outline at the top and essentially been cut in half. pretty clear october copies hand-manipulated to go out later; at least clear to me.

Which came first? The chicken or the egg? confused-smiley-013.gif