• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hake's comes up with a GA unrestored Key!

96 posts in this topic

and the new 6.0 on hakes offers the best evidence i've seen yet on the oct. v. nov. printing issue. look at the hakes book; the cut of the cover gave it alot of room at the bottom of the graphics [lots of pink below 'action, mystery, adventure'], but actually cut off the top of the logo so you don't even see the red outline on the top of the letters. that in turn brought the price circle way up toward the top edge of the book. whoever came in with what must have been a hand stamp with 'nov' carefully placed it in the little gap left between the circle and the top edge--it ends up where 'nov' and the circle are almost touching. on the cage book, as well as my copy posted elsewhere on these boards, there's a much larger space between 'nov' and the circle, as there was ample room b/w the circle and the top edge to place it. on hake's book there was very little room, so the gap is gone. quite obvious difference, which certainly would not have existed if the blackout and 'nov' had been part of a printing process; 'nov' would've suffered the same fate as the red outline at the top and essentially been cut in half. pretty clear october copies hand-manipulated to go out later; at least clear to me.

Which came first? The chicken or the egg? confused-smiley-013.gif

do your smart pills wear off by 10 p.m. central?

and the new 6.0 on hakes offers the best evidence i've seen yet on the oct. v. nov. printing issue. look at the hakes book; the cut of the cover gave it alot of room at the bottom of the graphics [lots of pink below 'action, mystery, adventure'], but actually cut off the top of the logo so you don't even see the red outline on the top of the letters. that in turn brought the price circle way up toward the top edge of the book. whoever came in with what must have been a hand stamp with 'nov' carefully placed it in the little gap left between the circle and the top edge--it ends up where 'nov' and the circle are almost touching. on the cage book, as well as my copy posted elsewhere on these boards, there's a much larger space between 'nov' and the circle, as there was ample room b/w the circle and the top edge to place it. on hake's book there was very little room, so the gap is gone. quite obvious difference, which certainly would not have existed if the blackout and 'nov' had been part of a printing process; 'nov' would've suffered the same fate as the red outline at the top and essentially been cut in half. pretty clear october copies hand-manipulated to go out later; at least clear to me.

Which came first? The chicken or the egg? confused-smiley-013.gif

do your smart pills wear off by 10 p.m. central?

Yep, but then my brilliance potion kicks in! thumbsup2.gif

Nice detective work Sherlock! You know how I absolutely hate comic book manipulation. Was this manipulation disclosed?

I just checked out several copies in the Heritage archives and it's clear to me too. 893whatthe.gif

That is very interesting. There was an in depth discussion of this issue a few months ago - whether or not the circle and "NOV" were added to the black plate in the middle of the run or the covers were run through a second time at a later date with a new black plate, etc. But one thing that was assumed was that the circle and "NOV" were added together at the same time. This copy shows that this could not have been the case - they were clearly separate events - that's very interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That is very interesting. There was an in depth discussion of this issue a few months ago - whether or not the circle and "NOV" were added to the black plate in the middle of the run or the covers were run through a second time at a later date with a new black plate, etc. But one thing that was assumed was that the circle and "NOV" were added together at the same time. This copy shows that this could not have been the case - they were clearly separate events - that's very interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

theagenes, do i win a no-prize?

theagenes, do i win a no-prize?

Absolutely a no prize for you! thumbsup2.gif

I think I'm going to Heritage to check out some scans as well.

Interesting debate but one thing is clear, October copies are much rarer than the November one's so in my comic collecting world this makes it my ultimate grail. In 3-4 years this is the only copy I have ever seen, where are they all:

MC1CGC5.jpg

It may take 5 years. It may take 50 years. Eventually, the comic market will come to realize how much more valuable a Oct copy is when compared to the November copy.

S

It may take 5 years. It may take 50 years. Eventually, the comic market will come to realize how much more valuable a Oct copy is when compared to the November copy.

S

Frankly I'm alittle stunned that it hasn't already and I'm not sure why either.

S

hello all...

as a new timely collector who has never owned a Marvel 1 (only seen the twilight copy up close!)....is there any difference other than the cut of the front cover and the black dot over Oct with NOv above?....I don't chase cover variants, so unless something is different about the comic content, what is the big deal (That said, if it makes the NOv copy cheaper, then I am all for it!)?

rick

S

hello all...

as a new timely collector who has never owned a Marvel 1 (only seen the twilight copy up close!)....is there any difference other than the cut of the front cover and the black dot over Oct with NOv above?....I don't chase cover variants, so unless something is different about the comic content, what is the big deal (That said, if it makes the NOv copy cheaper, then I am all for it!)?

rick

Yep, I agree with you Rick. Owning an unrestored Marvel 1 is a prized piece that is well respected in the hobby. Whether it is an Oct. or Nov. copy, I think it's all the same for me. I guess for those who are looking for the rarest comic books and who are the die-hard collectors, they'd probably go for the Oct. copy because like everyone has been saying, it's rarer. But, I'd be happy to own either copy. I don't think the content in the pages change, it's all the same for me.

I've also noticed on the Hake's copy that the "Oct." month can clearly be seen in the black dot, while in the Cage Nov. copy, you can't really see it. Would this copy be more unique because its showing two months?

S

hello all...

rick

In the November copy, the Sub-Mariner seems quite unsure of himself. In the October copy, he is much more confident.

S

S

hello all...

rick

In the November copy, the Sub-Mariner seems quite unsure of himself. In the October copy, he is much more confident.

S

thanks for clearing that up...i am all for a Nov copy...got one for me S (complete with cover and wraps, restored fine, but not trimmed, and I don't want my dot to be transparent, I want a copy with the solid dot, and more of the red trim showing, and I would like it under guide)?

gator rick

S

Stephen - Do any of the October copies you are aware of have a known provenance that can be traced back to the original owner, and in what part of the country the original owner bought the book?

S

Stephen - Do any of the October copies you are aware of have a known provenance that can be traced back to the original owner, and in what part of the country the original owner bought the book?

October copies seemed to all come from the East coast.

S

as a new timely collector who has never owned a Marvel 1 (only seen the twilight copy up close!)....is there any difference other than the cut of the front cover and the black dot over Oct with Nov above?...

Do you mean other than the fact one is a first print and the other is a second print?

S

October copies seemed to all come from the East coast.

S

hey, what am I , chicken feed...I get no personalized response S?

seriously though, my #1 want right now is marvel 1....low grade unrestored or restored is cool (I was serious about wanting it to have it's covers and no trimming)

gator