• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At what page quality do you NOT buy a slabbed book?

24 posts in this topic

Hi, me again, with another possible ridiculous question.

I was just curious. At what point do you GA collectors draw the line at page quality? I'm not really familiar with how CGC determines their page quality. For example, are cream pages a relatively bad thing? What about tan?

I was just curious. At what point do you GA collectors draw the line at page quality? I'm not really familiar with how CGC determines their page quality. For example, are cream pages a relatively bad thing? What about tan?

on a very rare book, tan pages are ok, if you must....on old labels, I will buy light tan to white (because light tan is likely cream)...

on new labels, I buy cream or better...

I never own a slightly brittle or brittle paged book...if I buy one raw, and slab it, and it comes back sb or br, I sell it

rick

on a very rare book, tan pages are ok, if you must....on old labels, I will buy light tan to white (because light tan is likely cream)...

on new labels, I buy cream or better...

I never own a slightly brittle or brittle paged book...if I buy one raw, and slab it, and it comes back sb or br, I sell it

rick

Pretty much sums it up - I might buy a low grade book with slightly brittle pages as a placeholder, but only if the price is right. I Prefer at least Cream Pages, but will accept Tan to White on a high demand book I've been searching for, or once again if the price is right.

In general, cream to off-white, off white, off white to white, or white are the desirable CGC PQ grades. If it's a major key or scare book, Light tan or tan is ok. I stay away from brittle, slightly brittle, or brown PQ.

In general, cream to off-white, off white, off white to white, or white are the desirable CGC PQ grades. If it's a major key or scare book, Light tan or tan is ok. I stay away from brittle, slightly brittle, or brown PQ.

thumbsup2.gif

I go for off-white or better. I only have 1 cream to off white book and thats only because its a Big Book. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I try to avoid anything below off-white to white but on every now and then buy an off-white or dare I admit cream to off-white but for a cream to off-white it has to be a tough book to find or a smoking deal. My experience in the past has not been too god for CGCs page notation.

I'm not a "page-quality snob" simply because most of the books that I go after tend to be very hard to find in any condition, so I usually don't have the luxury of deciding between multiple copies with different page qualities. I have several GA books that are "cream to off-white" & I'm just fine with that.

If a book is easier to find, then I agree with the previous posts - I try not to go below off-white if possible.

there's a price point for everything.

COWP on desirable GA books no problem.

I'll buy LTOWP pages on tough to find GA books at 75% the price of what I'd pay for COWP if QP and eye appeal are good. As mentioned, old label LT pages will probably do better if resubbed.

I've dismissed every book I've ever seen offered with sightly brittle pages or worse. The vision of many small pieces of the book floating in the slab is too much. However, if anyone wants to sell say low grade Detective 27-33 with brittle pages for one third graded guide, I might go for that.

I am very particular about page quality and won't usually buy anything but off-white to white or white. I have bought a couple off-white books that were tough to find though. I also tend to crack most of my books out, so when I open them up I want a fresh looking copy. I have passed on many raw books that have edge tanning to the inside covers. I would rather have a very sharp 8.0 with white pages than a 9.4 with cream pages. Just my 2 cents.

Ken

So did the new CGC labels completely do away with the "tan"? Are old light tans comparable with the cream pages of newer labels?

I had a book I submitted with pages that were tan around the edge and brittle (paper was flaking off). Came back tan to off-white, no mention of slightly brittle (minimum I expected) or brittle pages. That is why I avoid books that say tan. CGC use to note the interior cover quality but they don't anymore. Books with cream pages are more likely to have tan interior covers which is a pet peeve of mine (not that I don't have some books like that in my collection).

I would say this brittle paged book I would pass on. I've heard about pages flaking into the bottom of the holder, but haven't seen one until this book:

583369.jpg

I try to stay at Cream-Off-white of better. However I would consider Light-Tan on a rare book.

wow, that More Fun looks pretty bad,.. :eek:

I try to stay at Off-white or higher, but don't mind Cream-Off-White on most GA books. I've cracked out a few CGC CR-OW books and they looked pretty good.

there's a price point for everything.

COWP on desirable GA books no problem.

I'll buy LTOWP pages on tough to find GA books at 75% the price of what I'd pay for COWP if QP and eye appeal are good. As mentioned, old label LT pages will probably do better if resubbed.

I've dismissed every book I've ever seen offered with sightly brittle pages or worse. The vision of many small pieces of the book floating in the slab is too much. However, if anyone wants to sell say low grade Detective 27-33 with brittle pages for one third graded guide, I might go for that.

Hell for Tec 27-33 I would pay 1/2 guide for brittle pages. Thats because I am a sucker for those issues :P

I agree that any page quality, short of brittle, is acceptable at the right price!

I don't mind Cream to off-white pages, but I will buy a cream or light tan to cream if its a hard to find book. I of course prefer off-white or better, but tan-brittle or even tan is hard for me to swallow as page quality such as these can create a damaged book so easily.

Books with cream pages are more likely to have tan interior covers which is a pet peeve of mine (not that I don't have some books like that in my collection).

On the flip side, I own some GA books with beautiful off-white to white or blazing white pages and yet the inside covers are brackish dark brown. Not ideal, but a fair trade off in my opinion.

To me, page quality has always been the most important characteristic of any book (so I am generally more picky than most). I start out looking for off-white to white or white pages, but of course there are exceptions.

Give me a MMC#9 with slightly brittle pages and I'm all over it. I have owned books with the slightly brittle pages notation and to be honest they weren't that bad. Brittle is a different story but that will usually bring the price down so if its one of my major grails I might still take a stab at it.