• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil #50 (spoilers)

20 posts in this topic

Fans at manwithoutfear.com predicted it almost exactly--Matt Murdock becoming the "new kingpin." Given the enthroned cover art, I kinda suspected that, too.

But given that this *is* the Marvel Universe, how much credibility do you give to the final two pages' claim that the Kingpin is now a "carcass," strongly implying his death at DD's hands?

I agree, Kev. I doubt the Kingpin is dead. This was another really good arc. Bendis just keeps churning out winners!

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Maleev. I really liked his art initially. Now it has become sloppy as opposed to gritty. And what was up w/ the style change during the battle w/ Kingpin? That really blew!

Chris

Matt says that Wilson is going to rot in jail for what he has done.

I don't think he's dead, even if he refers to the Kingpin as a carcass.

Kev

Yes, you're right. My wife just pointed that out, too. I forgot the first comment.

I agree, Kev. I doubt the Kingpin is dead. This was another really good arc. Bendis just keeps churning out winners!

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Maleev. I really liked his art initially. Now it has become sloppy as opposed to gritty. And what was up w/ the style change during the battle w/ Kingpin? That really blew!

Chris

That was part of the comic marketing by having other artists each draw part fo the issue--it wasn't all Maleev. Quesada, Klaus Janson, and Sienkiewicz all added work.

That was part of the comic marketing by having other artists each draw part fo the issue--it wasn't all Maleev. Quesada, Klaus Janson, and Sienkiewicz all added work.

D'oh! I totally missed that! When I was reading the book and got to that scene, I thought it wasn't Maleev, so I went back to the title page and saw "Artist: Alex Maleev". Didn't read the fine print at the bottom.... blush.gif

Chris

Fans at manwithoutfear.com predicted it almost exactly--Matt Murdock becoming the "new kingpin." Given the enthroned cover art, I kinda suspected that, too.

Except for the out-of-character/occasionally hokey dialogue by Bendis (like during the fight scenes when DD goes postal on Bullseye in the last issue and on the Kingpin in this issue - "Now I think I'm going to beat the $&*@# out of you!" - would Miller have been caught dead writing that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif), I really enjoyed the latest storyline. Well, up until the last two pages, anyway - DD whipping off his mask and crowning himself the Kingpin's replacement. Riiiiiiiight. That's some heavy-duty melodrama there. I hope this state of affairs changes quickly because I think it has the potential to complicate/bog down/make silly upcoming storylines.

Also, I'm disturbed that they've made DD (witness the cover to #50) look *exactly* like Ben Affleck. 893naughty-thumb.gif Wasn't turning Bullseye into a carbon copy of the movie version enough??

Gene

they really need to let bullseye go back to his costume imho tongue.gif

I'm of two minds about that issue, really...

In my opinion, we'd get a lot more properties optioned for film, were it not for the costumes. Bad guys don't wear costumes in real life, and neither do the heroes (uniforms not withstanding...). From a directors/producers standpoint, there's no logical reason why anyone would wear one, and it oftens comes off as "hokey" if they do...

On the other hand Spider-Man wouldn't be "Spider-Man" without the suit. Same for Batman, and many others, especially, to me, the D.C. characters... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Two more points:

1- In the first Batman flick, Tim Burton specifically chose Michael Keaton for this reason. " A lot of actors looked more heroic, but Michael was the only one that looked like he might be crazy enough to put on a Bat-Suit" (paraphrasing).

2- Who in the Valiant Universe wore a costume? Ninjak? X-O? Practically no-one, and I don't think that their stories suffered as a result, but rather they had a more "real-world" feel than most. The writers were forced to write about the characters, rather than the costumes...

"Your milage may vary..."

-Joe

Matt says that Wilson is going to rot in jail for what he has done.

That sounds all fine and dandy, but not without proof of a crime. And, if said proof were at hand, Fisk would be in custody already.

Big plot hole if Kingpin ends up in jail.

Except for the out-of-character/occasionally hokey dialogue by Bendis (like during the fight scenes when DD goes postal on Bullseye in the last issue and on the Kingpin in this issue - "Now I think I'm going to beat the $&*@# out of you!" - would Miller have been caught dead writing that? ), I really enjoyed the latest storyline. Well, up until the last two pages, anyway - DD whipping off his mask and crowning himself the Kingpin's replacement. Riiiiiiiight.

That dialogue was way out of character..... and very odd coming from Bendis, who usually scripts so well.

Except for the out-of-character/occasionally hokey dialogue by Bendis (like during the fight scenes when DD goes postal on Bullseye in the last issue and on the Kingpin in this issue - "Now I think I'm going to beat the $&*@# out of you!" - would Miller have been caught dead writing that? ), I really enjoyed the latest storyline. Well, up until the last two pages, anyway - DD whipping off his mask and crowning himself the Kingpin's replacement. Riiiiiiiight.

That dialogue was way out of character..... and very odd coming from Bendis, who usually scripts so well.

Bendis' stuff has been unravelling across the board... and why shouldn't it? Who can keep up the quality on 137 books every month?!? confused.gif

I took one look at it and put it back. Mack's ok... and he's a great guy and a talented artist... but I'll wait for this storyline to be collected before I sit down to read it.

His art's far too abstract for my tastes on a monthly super-hero book and kills any momentum Bendis had built up to issue 50.

Kev

I took one look at it and put it back. Mack's ok... and he's a great guy and a talented artist... but I'll wait for this storyline to be collected before I sit down to read it.

His art's far too abstract for my tastes on a monthly super-hero book and kills any momentum Bendis had built up to issue 50.

Kev

I absolutely DROOL over Mack's art. I'm a sucker for that gallery-style collage work, especially his pencil stuff. I'm glad he's phasing out the "triangles" thing (I kinda ribbed him about it on his forum once, and pressed him to explain why he did it so often). Man, if I could have an original Mack piece, I'd build my house around it.

Or a Sienkiewicz.

Or a hand-drawn Maleev.

Or a Kent Williams painting.

Mack's comics have to be absorbed. You have to commit time to sit and study the art and appreciate all of the little details he's put in.

But on a monthly? Yawn. I don't have the time to put that sort of commitment into 1/5 of the story.

Bendis' Daredevil stories are pure noir - talking heads, shocking and occasionally violent. I think of his Daredevil as the comics equivalent of a Sopranos episode. Pure entertainment.

But to stop that for five months with Mack's stories that are rendered in his pseudo-abstract style - especially a sequel to a story with a character that wasn't very interesting the first time around....

Skreeech........ someone hit the breaks.

Kev

I absolutely DROOL over Mack's art. I'm a sucker for that gallery-style collage work, especially his pencil stuff. I'm glad he's phasing out the "triangles" thing (I kinda ribbed him about it on his forum once, and pressed him to explain why he did it so often).

Well, Mack just made a danged fool out of ME. After touting that he's dropped the incessant Triangle thing, I got the new book today, an what do I see on EVERY page? More triangles.

Now, the art was still gorgeous, but he's trying too hard to "style" the book like "Elektra Assassin" with it's semi-schizophrenic character writing and curly-scrawl background random text stuff. And for the record, even though his writing is respectful and devoted, I don't know ANY Indians who talk and think like Indians in comics, where "vision quests" pop up within minutes of a conversation's start, where "shamans" (not an Indian term, incidentally) utter Yoda-like guidance, and where feathers adorn every aspect of our lives.

Maybe I should -script and pitch a real-life modern Indian comic to Epic.