• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dad&Son's Pressing Project ( follow up to Joeypost's project )

178 posts in this topic

Maybe, but you are missing my point.

A forumite comes here and shows results of a book from pressing, nothing more.

You respond by saying why are people amazed and using steroids as an analogy.

I know a human body will show results from steroids, and I have heard of pressing taking small defects out of a book.

I just thought your analogy was a bit extreme and trying to compare pressing to steroid use is a little out of whack in my opinion flowerred.gif

We'll just have to agree to disagree. flowerred.gif

I am surprised that being a member here since 2003, this would be your first exposure to results like this, but apparently that's the case.

Count me in the camp that doesn't really care either. If I'm looking for a NM copy of a book, I'm not going to buy a NM- copy with a non-color breaking crease, but I would certainly buy a NM copy that used to be a "NM- copy with a non-color breaking crease" that was pressed to be a NM. If the pressing damages the book, it won't be NM and I won't buy it, but if done correctly it will look just like, and for all practical purposes, be just like a "virgin" NM copy. Sure, I'd prefer a virgin NM copy but collecting antiques isn't like buying stocks, you can't just open an OS and say "Great, I'll take a Blue Bolt 105 in NM for $625, no, how about you make that two copies!" yay.gif

Fair enough.

I see you are a HG collector also, so can you say for a fact that every HG slab you own is not or has been pressed?

Would you get rid of them if you found out they have been pressed at some point?

Fair enough.

I see you are a HG collector also, so can you say for a fact that every HG slab you own is not or has been pressed?

Would you get rid of them if you found out they have been pressed at some point?

THAT is the question!

BTW - If any of those Dino's are pressed... I'll take 'em off your hands poke2.gif Just send them to Awe4one for the "resto" check thumbsup2.gif

John stirthepot.gif

Count me in the camp that doesn't really care either. If I'm looking for a NM copy of a book, I'm not going to buy a NM- copy with a non-color breaking crease, but I would certainly buy a NM copy that used to be a "NM- copy with a non-color breaking crease" that was pressed to be a NM. If the pressing damages the book, it won't be NM and I won't buy it, but if done correctly it will look just like, and for all practical purposes, be just like a "virgin" NM copy. Sure, I'd prefer a virgin NM copy but collecting antiques isn't like buying stocks, you can't just open an OS and say "Great, I'll take a Blue Bolt 105 in NM for $625, no, how about you make that two copies!" yay.gif

I'd rather have the NM- copy with the NCB crease. An unpressed NM- copy that could be pressed to NM is better than a pressed 9.4 IMO. confused-smiley-013.gif

Fair enough.

I don't have any knowledge of any being pressed. Unfortunalety however, with many sellers not disclosing such practices, there is no certainty that some could be pressed. With disclosure more prevelant now than ever though, I do have many books that, according to the seller, were not pressed.

I have stated may times, that if a company came along that could detect pressing that I would submit all my books for that test. I would just like to know. In that case, I would still probably keep them until I could secure a non-pressed copy, then sell them with full disclosure.

There are people with all different preferances in this hobby. For me, I prefer 9.8s over 9.6s, white pages over OW, and virgin 9.8s over non-virgin 9.8s. Not everyone has these preferences which is fine.

Good to see you back Chris!

I'd rather have the NM- copy with the NCB crease. An unpressed NM- copy that could be pressed to NM is better than a pressed 9.4 IMO. confused-smiley-013.gif

Cheaper too! With the money saved, you can go out and buy your granite slab and turn it into a 9.4! 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

John hi.gif

right. cause it still has so much "potential!"

An unpressed NM- copy that could be pressed to NM is better than a pressed 9.4 IMO. confused-smiley-013.gif

Perhaps the NM- copy is "preferable" to you, but it's not a better copy...the NM copy is better, which is why it's now graded at NM and not NM"-". confused-smiley-013.gif

Good to see you back Chris!

Cheaper too! With the money saved, you can go out and buy your granite slab and turn it into a 9.4! 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

John hi.gif

But why press out an invisible defect? Oh that's right...to get a 9.4 on the label. insane.gif

If you consider a pressed 9.4 to be a NM copy, then why wouldn't you consider a 'pressable' to 9.4 copy NM as well?

An unpressed NM- copy that could be pressed to NM is better than a pressed 9.4 IMO. confused-smiley-013.gif

Perhaps the NM- copy is "preferable" to you, but it's not a better copy...the NM copy is better, which is why it's now graded at NM and not NM"-". confused-smiley-013.gif

A manipulated 9.2 is better than a non-manipulated one? screwy.gif

I agree with this post 110%. thumbsup2.gif

No, but a pressed 9.4 is better than a 9.2 with a NCB, which is the premise of my comparison. If the book wasn't in better shape after being pressed, why would anyone bother? Fact is, the book is in better shape after being pressed as clearly illustrated by nearmint's GA book (Exciting?) that went from a nice book with a big ole dent at the top of the cover, to a real nice book with really no notable defects. thumbsup2.gif

No, but a pressed 9.4 is better than a 9.2 with a NCB, which is the premise of my comparison. If the book wasn't in better shape after being pressed, why would anyone bother? Fact is, the book is in better shape after being pressed as clearly illustrated by nearmint's GA book (Exciting?) that went from a nice book with a big ole dent at the top of the cover, to a real nice book with really no notable defects. thumbsup2.gif

Extreme example. Let's stick with a NM- book with a small NCB crease. You're suggesting that removing that NCB makes the book better. I disagree. confused-smiley-013.gif

Okay a little different example at you.

You have 2 books almost identical. One has a small bend (NCB) in it.

Do you put them both in mylars with fullbacks (or whatever way you store them) and put them upright in your box and forget them.

or

Do you take the one with a small bend in it and put a couple of heavy items over it in hopes of straightening out that bend?

or to go a little further, I have stacks of raw books in mylars one on top of another sitting on shelves in my basement, do you consider this a form of unwilling pressing?