• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just found Out A Box of My Comic Books Were Stolen!

28 posts in this topic

But it is a very unique box of comics so if anyone tries to see it to you, or has tried to sell it to you in the past, please post here or PM me.

The box contained a 90% complete set of the 1960s reprint series Top Comics in 9.4 or higher, plus doubles, triples and quadruples of most of the books in high grade. I know they are not worth much in terms of what could have been stolen, but they were really hard to collect in super high grade, took me forever to collect and because I am a bit of an eccentric, my favorite part of my collection.

For those who don’t know, Top Comics was a reprint series which included 1-4 issues of varying titles including Zorro, Flipper, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Each book is identifiable by the red or green or blue band across the top which reads "Top Comics."

There were about 120 comics in the box - it was stuffed full and even included about 3-5 of the original bagged "Fun Packs" of 5 comics.

Each of the comics was in a matching "Fun Yet" regular bag with two backing boards for the best copy and a single board for the undercopy. Each bag was sealed with two horizontal pieces of tape. The bags may or may not have had their issue number written on the back of their bag in red or green sharpie.

Some of the high grade doubles had their bags marked "CGC" in red or green sharpie. These were the ones destined for, you guessed it, slabbing.

As to when they were stolen, I'm not sure. I have not gone through my collection in a while so it could have been a while ago, perhaps when we moved in January, though perhaps even longer. I have no idea if they were stolen by one of my moving men, by a handyman, by one of our legion of babysitters, a house sitter or what. I have now gone through 400 boxes of collection and doubles looking for them. Twice. And my collection is very neatly ordered.

To answer your questions:

Yes, I am going to let all my LCS’s know.

No, I didn’t have insurance.

Here is a picture of what a Top Comic may look like. These are not pictures of the actual books, just ones I “borrowed.”

f9926a1e.jpg

1418146588.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss. I had a break-in a few years back and the thieves made of with alot of stuff including one long box of comics. Insurance replaced most of them ... that I knew for sure were in the box but I realized this year that another run of books was in that box that was stolen and now it is too late to get insurance to fix that frown.gif

very sorry to hear about the theft.

why don't you place a wanted to buy comics ad on craigs list looking for those comics and see if anything turns up?

Great idea! I'll do it!

why don't you place a wanted to buy comics ad on craigs list looking for those comics and see if anything turns up?

Great idea! I'll do it!

Plan it before you do it, though. Your phone number and/or address might be recognizable. Arrange alternative ones. Same with an email address. Also decide what course of action you'll take should something come of it and you end up staring at your missing box in front of who knows who. Just a thought. smile.gif

Great idea! I'll do it!

Plan it before you do it, though. Your phone number and/or address might be recognizable. Arrange alternative ones. Same with an email address. Also decide what course of action you'll take should something come of it and you end up staring at your missing box in front of who knows who. Just a thought. smile.gif

Shoot them between the eyes

Great idea! I'll do it!

hm...you sound experienced. hail.gif

Plan it before you do it, though. Your phone number and/or address might be recognizable. Arrange alternative ones. Same with an email address. Also decide what course of action you'll take should something come of it and you end up staring at your missing box in front of who knows who. Just a thought.

Get a friend to list it on a different city in a different state. That might "smoke him out". Worth a try.

I dislike thieves to the extreme. That is wording it nicely.

CAL the COP sumo.gif

Not to be a killjoy... but what are the chances that you still just missed it and that it'll turn up one day?

Are you saying you have 400 long boxes in one place and arranged in some sort of order?

Are they labeled?

I mean, if your stash is organized, would this be the best box to take?

suspect appears to be a black male between 4 to 8 ft in height........

Gary Coleman?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Most likely suspect right now for sure!

Though I would pay good money to see him lug a long box out of someone's house at getaway speed! insane.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Great idea! I'll do it!

If you ask greggy nicely he might shoot them between the cheeks for you.....

Great idea! I'll do it!

If you ask greggy nicely he might shoot them between the cheeks for you.....

ewwwwww!

suspect appears to be a black male between 4 to 8 ft in height........

Gary Coleman?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Most likely suspect right now for sure!

Though I would pay good money to see him lug a long box out of someone's house at getaway speed! insane.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

greggygarycopy.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif