• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America 1 CGC 8.0: a cautionary tale

48 posts in this topic

This book has bone-white pages. I'm not sure why the top came out darker.

I'm sure I might cry some about the grade I get but, if it comes back with white pages,

I'll be happy.

action81inside.jpg

This did not happen with The Fortress.....the greatest comic book holder of all time. ( for sale to the general public )

Steve

Steve-

No disrespect, but I am sorry to say that If the fortress is put together TOO TIGHT (Not enough of the white middle pieces put in) there is too much pressure on the comic and it can then split the cover and or pages frown.gif. I have seen this MANY times even before CGC and it is why I stopped using them when I was a collector. Too many added and the book will slide anound as well.

Also, when we get a restored book sent to us in a fortress, we ALWAYS call the customer and explain that if we take it out of the fortress and there is arcyrlic color touch on the cover, it may stick to the fortress film touching the book and may come off once it is lifted off the comic 893whatthe.gif. We always ask for an email to confirm that the submitter understands this and gives us a release to remove the comic from the fortress prior to grading.

These are 2 of the few reasons, when starting CGC, we stayed away from the fortress concept.

Oh, and BTW.......keeping a comic in a fortress long enough with enough pressure, presses the book, so please disclouse how long your comic has been in the fortress when selling it or you are not an upstanding collecter in the community stooges.gif27_laughing.gif

This did not happen with The Fortress.....the greatest comic book holder of all time. ( for sale to the general public )

Steve

Also, when we get a restored book sent to us in a fortress, we ALWAYS call the customer and explain that if we take it out of the fortress and there is arcyrlic color touch on the cover, it may stick to the fortress film touching the book and may come off once it is lifted off the comic 893whatthe.gif. We always ask for an email to confirm that the submitter understands this and gives us a release to remove the comic from the fortress prior to grading.

hello all...

I can attest to this...I sent in an AA 16 restored, in a fortress, and got a call to confirm it was ok for them to remove (I think that was the book, might have been a different one, maybe a tec?, honestly can't remember, but I do remember the call)...

gator

Oh, and BTW.......keeping a comic in a fortress long enough with enough pressure, presses the book, so please disclouse how long your comic has been in the fortress when selling it or you are not an upstanding collecter in the community stooges.gif27_laughing.gif
sign-funnypost.gif

What is this pressing of which you speak? I have never heard mention of it and would like as many people to weigh in as possible, hopefully leading to a full blown argument with mud-slinging and name calling and such. Then maybe this thread will ultimately be shut down....oh wait, it has happened already? Well then, nevermind!

I'm sure I might cry some about the grade I get but, if it comes back with white pages,

I'll be happy.

action81inside.jpg

What number is that Action?

I'm especially fond of stories that have scenes that take place at circuses, carnivals or amusement parks. laugh.gif

Steve

Steve-

No disrespect, but I am sorry to say that If the fortress is put together TOO TIGHT (Not enough of the white middle pieces put in) there is too much pressure on the comic and it can then split the cover and or pages frown.gif. I have seen this MANY times even before CGC and it is why I stopped using them when I was a collector. Too many added and the book will slide anound as well.

ahhh...I see....and what if a Fortress is not too tight, and not too loose, and it's securing an unrestored book, so color touch sticking to the holder is not an issue......then would you say was it a great holder ??

(Don't get me wrong Steve...I am very happy with the CGC holders...I couldn't make a better one....just curious 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

Steve

What is this pressing of which you speak? I have never heard mention of it and would like as many people to weigh in as possible, hopefully leading to a full blown argument with mud-slinging and name calling and such. Then maybe this thread will ultimately be shut down....oh wait, it has happened already? Well then, nevermind!

sign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gif

action81inside.jpg

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

OH MY GOD!!

WHERE ARE YOUR GLOVES!?!?

poke2.gif

Seriously though, having your comic stick to the inside of a fortress would make for a very bad day.

I also wonder if the Cap was in a fire proof safe?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

action81inside.jpg

OH MY GOD!!

WHERE ARE YOUR GLOVES!?!?

poke2.gif

I use Dawn dish soap! Besides, my gloves are covered with bar oil. lithium grease and pine pitch. grin.gif

Steve

Steve-

These are 2 of the few reasons, when starting CGC, we stayed away from the fortress concept.

I've had this happen too. A book had the pages split from the inside out. It wasn't with a Fortress, but the same principle applied (too much pressure).

Good old mylar for me.

Steve

Steve-

No disrespect, but I am sorry to say that If the fortress is put together TOO TIGHT (Not enough of the white middle pieces put in) there is too much pressure on the comic

Also, when we get a restored book sent to us in a fortress, we ALWAYS call the customer and explain that if we take it out of the fortress and there is arcyrlic color touch on the cover, it may stick to the fortress film touching the book and may come off once it is lifted off the comic

Holy Moly......bring back The Fortress!!!!

when you buy and use the holder you get as a bonus 2 of Matt Nelson's services for free......pressing and resto removal !!!! acclaim.gif

The PQ might have suffered but CGC has been overly hard on some GA books/grades lately.
I have noticed this as well. I was beginning to think I was the only one. I have also found that, they have tightened up on page quality. I have a good test book for page quality the next time I submit.

Perfect. My CMA #1 will be arriving in Sarasota this week. frustrated.gif

Steve

hello all...

I can attest to this...I sent in an AA 16 restored, in a fortress, and got a call to confirm it was ok for them to remove (I think that was the book, might have been a different one, maybe a tec?, honestly can't remember, but I do remember the call)...

gator

Thank goodness I just keep my comics wrapped in aluminum foil. tongue.gif

Steve

hello all...

gator

Thank goodness I just keep my comics wrapped in aluminum foil. tongue.gif

I heard Johnson wax paper was better poke2.gif

Steve

Steve-

No disrespect, but I am sorry to say that If the fortress is put together TOO TIGHT (Not enough of the white middle pieces put in) there is too much pressure on the comic

Also, when we get a restored book sent to us in a fortress, we ALWAYS call the customer and explain that if we take it out of the fortress and there is arcyrlic color touch on the cover, it may stick to the fortress film touching the book and may come off once it is lifted off the comic

Holy Moly......bring back The Fortress!!!!

when you buy and use the holder you get as a bonus 2 of Matt Nelson's services for free......pressing and resto removal !!!! acclaim.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif