• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best LCS Experience?

22 posts in this topic

We have a thread about bad LCS experiences. How about good ones? Feel free to name names for deserving shops/owners.

My LCS is A-1 Comics run by Brian Peets. The other day I was in to look at some Fiction House comics and we were discussing purchases from a specific dealer at the local convention three days previous. Brian mentioned that he had some books missing pages and asked if I had counted the pages in the books I purchased. I had checked the centerfolds, but Brian said some books were missing ad pages not near the centerfold.

After telling him I'd check the books when I got home, he said, "Let me know if the books are missing pages and I'll fix it for you."

I said, "But I didn't buy the books from you."

He said, "I know who sold them. I'll make sure you get your money back."

my LCS is great. sure, they don't know what mylar 2 or 4's are (they do have mylars tho), their back issue selection is mostly '85-present, BUT they are extremely friendly, will find newer issues for me (they had a copy of the current green lantern series, #19, but it had a blunt corner, so they ordered a mint copy for me, and are ordering the marvel zombies homage to cap. america comics #1), and will hold books for months if need be (they're holding the sketch cover to all star batman #1, which they have listed at $40). i can also bargain with them on some items, and actually, they have some silver-bronze age books that don't look beat to shhit (and i've noticed they get new books in from time to time). i get a %15 discount also. nothing extraordinary, just glad to have an LCS that isn't run by ashholes. and they're only 1 mile away (plus the local train not only stops by my house, it stops almost right out front of their shop)

i can also give them a list of what i'm looking for, and they will try to find it. their trade selection is great, their statues are great, and they have a nice selection of posters and toys.

Here's my regular conversation with the LCS owner:

ME: Got any Silver Age boards?

HIM: Nah. (sometimes "Yeah")

ME: Moderns sure suck, don't they?

HIM: Yeah, but they help pay the bills.

The best LCS I've known was Lost Dutchman's Comics in Phoenix, run by Blake somebody. The entire store was long boxes filled with back issues of every comic. Everything was priced half off OSPG. Even his good stuff behind the counter! I bought some real gems at half off. Unfortunately, Blake committed suicide a few years ago. Now, Phoenix is left with a very poor selection of LCS's. All modern junk with Yu Gi Oh cards, Heroclix, etc. I think the days of the great SA/GA LCS stores are almost gone. At least converted to online.

I love living back in the great Northeast as I have three LCS that I frequent (and there are others I choose not to...) where as when I was stationed in Kansas, I had to drive over an hour to get to the closest comic shop with backissues.

So... if you're in the greater Hartford, CT area, check these places out:

Legends of Superheroes (Waterbury, CT): Great back issue selection (cause really, that's all that matters isn't it?-), all comics priced off OSPG, and while they don't bargain on prices, the grading is exceptionally conservative so buying those expensive issues from them is the way to go!

The Eye Opener (Newington, CT): Another shop with great back issue selection. Most of the stuff isn't priced, but they also base prices off of the OSPG. Grading is a little more subjective here, BUT (and this is the clincher) they will work out some really great deals for you. Aside from the occasional new release, I've never paid retail on a comic from them.

Omni Comics (Bristol, CT): Okay, mainly newsstand issues here, but he has been slowly building a back issue collection. The thing is that the owner is always making some fantastic sales with his back issues too (i.e. 50% off OSPG) so stopping by here once a week is always 30+ minutes a week well spent.

I should also put a shout out to a store out in Rocky Hill, CT- Heroes & Hitters. A classmate of mine from my graduate program owns the place, and it's a really nice looking shop with plenty of new and back issues. It's a little further out of the way for me which is why I don't get to go there as often, but definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

I love living back in the great Northeast as I have three LCS that I frequent (and there are others I choose not to...) where as when I was stationed in Kansas, I had to drive over an hour to get to the closest comic shop with backissues.

Legends of Superheroes (Waterbury, CT): Great back issue selection (cause really, that's all that matters isn't it?-), all comics priced off OSPG, and while they don't bargain on prices, the grading is exceptionally conservative so buying those expensive issues from them is the way to go!

The Eye Opener (Newington, CT): Another shop with great back issue selection. Most of the stuff isn't priced, but they also base prices off of the OSPG. Grading is a little more subjective here, BUT (and this is the clincher) they will work out some really great deals for you. Aside from the occasional new release, I've never paid retail on a comic from them.

Omni Comics (Bristol, CT): Okay, mainly newsstand issues here, but he has been slowly building a back issue collection. The thing is that the owner is always making some fantastic sales with his back issues too (i.e. 50% off OSPG) so stopping by here once a week is always 30+ minutes a week well spent.

I should also put a shout out to a store out in Rocky Hill, CT- Heroes & Hitters. A classmate of mine from my graduate program owns the place, and it's a really nice looking shop with plenty of new and back issues. It's a little further out of the way for me which is why I don't get to go there as often, but definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

Been to all of them. A particular thumbs up for The Eye Opener. I've bought some great stuff there over the years at more than reasonable prices.

My best friend's shop, Legion, is the 21st Century version of Floyd's Barber Shop. Always a good time hanging out with a bunch of goofballs talking comics, politics and whatever. All we need is a pool table and it would be perfect!

Yeah, they most recently made "contributions" to my McFarlane ASM run and my 40s ASM run. grin.gif

I would love to get a chance to go down into his basement below the store- apparently it's chock full of back issues. cloud9.gif

My LCS is Paradise Comics here in Toronto. I'd had problems with other stores in the area screwing up my pull list (which honestly is very small) every week. Peter contacted me on these very boards to help out with a Stan Lee book and I never looked back. Great people all around.

Kudos to those guys. In addition to being helpful they're a good bunch of guys just to talk to as well. Completely turned my opinion of the comics scene in this city.

I live in Bristol,Is Omni Comics on Farmington Ave? Haven't been to the others yet,went to Fables in Southington though, not a bad place.

I would love to get a chance to go down into his basement below the store- apparently it's chock full of back issues. cloud9.gif

Art, the owner, used to have 25/50 cent sales and would let folks go through boxes in the basement. cloud9.gif

Yeah, I'd suggest you get down there ASAP too since he just picked up a small collection last weekend with lots of great gems. I was there Monday morning at 9am on my way to do some research and decided to stop in. A little more than I've got on hand, but the prices are still good and nice pile of stuff.

Yeah, I'd suggest you get down there ASAP too since he just picked up a small collection last weekend with lots of great gems. I was there Monday morning at 9am on my way to do some research and decided to stop in. A little more than I've got on hand, but the prices are still good and nice pile of stuff.

Which store, Omni or Eye Opener?

I would love to get a chance to go down into his basement below the store

Yeah, just where I want to go - the basement of a comic collector. 893whatthe.gif

gossip.gif Have him go down the stairs first. gossip.gif

I would love to get a chance to go down into his basement below the store

Yeah, just where I want to go - the basement of a comic collector. 893whatthe.gif

gossip.gif Have him go down the stairs first. gossip.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Omni. Off the top of my head they copies of Incredible Hulk 102, Marvel Spotlight #5, Fantastic Four 49, Submariner #1, as well as a beautiful looks FF 12. Based on what I saw, it looks like he's pricing most around VG though most will probably grade around VG/FN. Worth a look if you're in the area.