• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever feel like you're ALWAYS the 2nd highest bidder?

32 posts in this topic

I was bidding on some silver age comic lots recently on ebay, and just get so frustrated. It seems that so often I am the 2nd highest bidder. There is always one person that bids more. Not the same person, it's a different person every time, but there is always one jerk who puts in a higher bid. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I am a sniper, I bid with 10 seconds to go, and am often the highest bidder for all of 5 seconds before someone bids more.

If not for this one other person every time, I'd be picking up stuff at great prices.

Here are 4 recent examples of me being 2nd highest bidder:

I bid $105 and lose, the next highest bid is $88

I bid $61 and lose, the next highest bid is $29 (yes, half what I bid)

I bid $32 and lose, the next highest bid is $22

I bid $102 and lose, the next highest bid is $40 (yes, $40 - if not for the one guy that bid more than me, I would have won these for $41 on a $102 bid).

The last one really hurt, it was for some ASM silver age comics, guide was probably $150, I thought I had them with my $102 bid, but no, there is always that one guy that bids more and prevents me from stealing them for $41. Christo_pull_hair.gif

So frustrating. I assume others have similar stories to tell?

But your data is flawed because it ignores all the other people who sniped, but didn't hit an actual bid.

It happens to me all the time. A book sells for $60, I snipe at $58.89, but it wasn't enough to register as a bid. But if that last guy doesn't bid, mine (or a hundred others) come in hard.

So ignore that "next-highest bid" as it usually doesn't mean a thing.

It still feels like I either win the auction or someone is bumping me out. Either are very few reasonable bidders or I just pick items were its me or me and some other azz who beat me. I can't remember a time where I sniped $50 and the comics sell for $100.

I was bidding on some silver age comic lots recently on ebay, and just get so frustrated. It seems that so often I am the 2nd highest bidder. There is always one person that bids more. Not the same person, it's a different person every time, but there is always one jerk who puts in a higher bid. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I am a sniper, I bid with 10 seconds to go, and am often the highest bidder for all of 5 seconds before someone bids more.

You're calling other people a jerk because they do the same thing you do?

And then you complain about not getting good deals?

Sorry... but I don't really have any sympathy here. If you want the item, put in a higher Max Bid on your snipe.

Just bid $1,000,000 and I bet you'll start winning more of these close ones. You can then sit back and enjoy watching all those jerks and *spoon* flail away trying to snipe you in those final seconds, but failing miserably like the scum suckers they are. poke2.gif

Seriously though, I feel your pain and I think we've all been there before. Just remember, for every auction you win, there is another poor sap, who feels just like you do now. It's all relative... we live by the sword and die by it, so I wouldn't take it so hard or personal.

Totally agree with you scheradon. Sometimes, you get on a good hitting streak and your winning everything. Other times, you're getting beat out for a weak straight.

i bid what i think is the right price for any given book. if i get sniped so be it. the same damn book will be on there tommorow. i will get mine it just takes time.

also a sniper spooning about getting sniped. HAHAHAHAHAHA

also a sniper spooning about getting sniped. HAHAHAHAHAHA

no, my complaint was that there was always "that one guy" that seems to bid more than me. I outbid 10 people, but there's always some fool willing to overpay I guess.