• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you guys collect?

93 posts in this topic

I am kind of working on basically complete high grade runs of all Silver Age Marvel and DC titles. I say kind of because I have most everything, and the stuff I don't have, I am not sure if I ever will finish (like a high grade AF #15, Hulk #1,etc). I have recently started collecting Gaines File Copy ECs in CGC 9.8. I think I have about 10 different now.

My favorite stuff is probably Amazing Spider-man, Neal Adams books, Superboy & the Legion, DC Horror, but I really like alot of the stuff that came out in the late 60s and early 1970s. Overall, I think that is one of the greatest eras ever in comics as far as talent, stories, and creativity.

Not really a fan of alot of the Golden Age stuff, but I do like the really early Superman and Batman appearances, and I will probably try to put a complete run of ECs together one of these days. Probably should start on that now, as I have alot in stock. I love alot of the GGA books especially the Kamen and Baker stuff, but those books are just mostly covers, so I haven't ever really pursued them.

Mid to High Grade Silver FF's and ASM's, although I'm more into ASM now and kinda burning out on FF. Original Art (mostly modern stuff though as I don't have the funds to play in the big kids sandbox).

Bronze and Copper keys, although not really into that as much as I used to be. Classic cover books.

Modern books, but more for reading than "collecting" (Vertigo stuff, All-Star Superman, Morrison Batman, Daredevil).

EC reprints (again, more for reading). Was into original EC's, but would rather spend my money on FF/ASM's above than low grade originals.

Want to thin out my collection really and just focus on keys and covers. confused-smiley-013.gif

hello all...

I am a Golden Age only kind of guy...

I tend to collect full runs from point a to point b, and all the "keys" (lower grade and restored fine by me)...

What I would like to finish in the next few years:

Detective 27-100

Batman 1-103

Superman 1-20

Captain America 1-75

MMC 2-92

WW 1-75

Captain Marvel Adventures 1-51

Whiz 1-25

Funny Stuff 1-79

Keen Detective Funnies (want all 24)

Amazing Man 5-25 (I think 25 is the last, have to get out my gerbers)

etc

and I like mosts 50's DC (like World's Finest, Sensation, etc)

gator

mostly ASM, currently working on my 9.8 Mcfarlane run. just trying to get them when i can.

started picking up moderns again. silver surfer requeim, walking dead, WW hulk, and x-men endangered species.

I have most of the superhero stuff I want, either in my collection or in stock, except for more 40s and 50s Batman appearances. So I'm mostly working on DC war books that have continuing characters (eg, Rock and Haunted Tank). I think I'm done with my 70s/80s genre books like Jonah Hex and MOKF. My biggest collecting goal is to actually sort everything this summer and get all my runs together, especially the last 25 years of Batman, Detective, LOTDK, Shadow of the Bat, etc. Those are all over the place.

Primary

DC war books of various types.

8.0 or better copies of 1st Issue Special # 8

Secondary

Richie Rich

Uncle Scrooge

High Grade Dream List (if money were no object)

DC War

AF 15

ASM 1-150 (whatever I'm missing + upgrades of mid and lower grade issues)

JIM 83-125

TOS (All Iron Man issues)

Thrilling

Exciting

Way too many other books to even think about right now.

Really gotten heavy into GA. Am looking to complete these runs over the next few years

Boy Comics 1-100

ME Ghost Rider 1-14 (incl. Tim Holt 11 for 1st appearance)

Other stuff not GA...

Daredevil 1-25 (done very well on this so far)

Silver Surfer (complete series - got issue 1 and then did nothing else so far)

Collection I'd like to start

9.8 Bloodshot (valiant) I want to get a 9.8 Rai #0, Bloodshot #1, and Bloodshot#6 and then go from there.

sloooowly trying to put together a HG (in the old sense of the word, not this newfangled 9.6 - 9.8 nonsense) run of MGA / Doom Patrol. Being a cheapskate of the highest order, it will be a long slog, since I can only get one slab/uber HG book at a time

Fiction House bondage covers

One EC title at a time (currently working on Tales from the Crypt, have finished Crime SuspenStories, Shock SuspenStories, and Haunt of Fear)

Superboy 184-225 in CGC 9.6/9.8 (damnable Rule of 25!)

Other things that may catch my eye.

Anything Zombie Related...

The Walking Dead Signature Series and 9.8 blue labels

Marvel Zombies CGC 9.8

Anything to do with The Evil Dead/Army of Darkness Trilogy and Bruce Campbell

Signed Horror Movie Posters

Horror Toys/Action Figures

And, of course, lots of bills and poopie diapers crazy.gif

First and foremost probably Kirby, all genres, publishers and eras. My general habits are a bit broad: Pre-hero Marvels, SA Marvels, BA Marvels and modern stuff like Tony Millionaire, Dan Clowes, Chris Ware and Rick Altergott. Plus, Atomic Age Horror as the budget allows. I’d collect Timelys too, but I’d be overextending myself at this point if I did, not to mention extremely limited to what I'd be able to afford.

In Golden Age, I have 3 main focuses:

Nedor Schomburg war covers. I have about a third of them at this point. Can't get enough of this stuff.

fightingyank5.jpg

exciting31.jpg

I also collect Superman. I have issues 10-20, and plan to work backwards from there.

superman16.jpg

superman17.jpg

Action Comics have always been a favorite of mine. I have 50-63 complete, and am now working backwards to #30. I've picked up 31, 37, 40, 43, & 45.

action31.jpg

action43.jpg

In Silver Age, I've been very slowly piecing together an 80 Page Giant run(all 56 books), mostly raw, but a few slabbed. I'm not working too hard on this run, as the Golden Age stuff eats up most of my comic money.

80pagegiant9.jpg

action334.jpg

For some inexplicable reason, I also collect Lois Lane. I'm now complete on issues 37-60, except for #57, all in high grade.

loislane46.jpg

loislane56.jpg

In Bronze Age, I collect Adams Batman, Detective, B&B, and Strange Adventures.

batman237.jpg

detective400.jpg

I also collect Adams covers from the Copper Age, which I think are sometimes overlooked.

flash246.jpg

superman317.jpg

I also keep up on Moderns, but mostly in trade form.

I collect / read a lot of stuff I guess:

Main Goal: Finishing my Synchronic Collection for March 1952.

I am working on some other character runs:

Airboy in Air Fighters & Airboy

American Eagle in Prize Western Comics

Johnny Thunder in All-American Western

Senorita Rio in Fight Comics

and I am toying with a complete pre-Code Atlas War Comics run (not all war books just the title War). Yup Dale, all those books in the other thread you think people are screwy.gif to collect. That's me!

Also collecting:

Comics & Comic Strips History: Mags (CBM, CBA, AE, TJKC, Hogan's Alley, ...) and Books

Comic Strip Reprints: You name it, I probably have it or am buying it.

OTR: I have many shows themselves and books about OTR

Pulps: their history and my reading main focus is: The Shadow, G-8, Doc Savage, The Spider, any WWI Air Ace story, Detective Fiction Weekly, ...

Carl Barks: Have all his Scrooge and 80% of his 10-pagers in WDCS

Moderns: still read and enjoy them every month (including European material)

Fiction: I have a penchant for Women Sleuths and gravitate to them as well as Crime Fiction from the '30s.

Non-Fiction: I will read many History books. Some of my favorite subjects are: British Empire and its involvement from Africa (colonization) to Central Asia (the Great Game), Captains of Industry, US Presidents, European political figures of the 18th and 19th Century, ...

I've just completed my SA/BA run of Phantom Stranger with the help of many of the board members.

I'm also working on SA JLA and GL as well as V2 of Firestorm (Fury/Nuclear Man).

Been debating the Iron Man Silver Centurion armor run and Haunted Tank as well.

Really loved Haunted Tank when I was a kid.

I mostly collect HG (cgc 9.8 white) Marvel BA books with some creeping into the SA and some in the CA.

I've also begun to collect late 60's early 70's DC Horror titles as well as some Batman and Brave and the Bold issues. Have to say I love the Neal Adams covers. For these books, I've only been buying raw books with nice eye appeal in the 8.0+ range (give or take).

I also have a huge Mad collection. Once I get around to slabbing all of my 23 comic sized issues, I think I will begin upgrading when I can. Would love to have an 8.0 run of the comics. After that, I may begin on my magazines, but what a project that would be 893whatthe.gif

initially i was all over the place. just trying to build up a large diverse collection including ga, sa & ba.

recently i have become more focused. i am trying to complete a few ba runs.

asm 102 - 150

avengers 93 – 120

mtu 1 - 20

conan 1 - 24

tod 1 – 20

i am pretty close to finishing up on all of those. i am also collecting d.c. 52 page books. which will probably take me a lot longer to complete.

I'm currently working on a run of Action Comics from #40 to #50, of which I still need, #'s 42,45,47,49 & 50. been kinda tough to find these in grades between 4.0 and 8.0. (except for uber high grade copies such as Nearmints Rockford copy of Action #45).

also collecting certain Superman issues,.. of which I only have 3 so far, #11, #14, #24.

once I complete these goals, I'd like to get a few GA Batman and Detective's.

I'd also like to get certain EC issues,.. just a great line of books they had.

also like you Dale, I am a fellow Kentuckian acclaim.gif that alone should be worth a 10% discount when I visit your booth at Chicago con, right ???893crossfingers-thumb.gif