• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you not collect??

62 posts in this topic

i stay away from and have no interest in the following

- DC Comics

- romance

- western

- war

- most modern titles

i also co sign on the 9.8 theory. Unless its abolutly affordable or on a very key title i just wont pay the extra amount.

While I am not surprised most stay away from Romance and Western books, the aversion to War comics is really surprising. Have you guys tried War comics and know you don't like them or is it just based on prejudices and pre-conceptions towards that particular genre?

any book, that (I know for a fact) someone just bought last week, and is now trying to "flip" for a profit,.. when I see they bought it on Heritage, C-link, eBay, etc. and are now trying to make a profit by selling it on, Heritage, C-link, eBay, etc.. I don't buy it. I'm not talking about a book they bought a year or so ago, I'm talking less than a month.

While I am not surprised most stay away from Romance and Western books, the aversion to War comics is really surprising. Have you guys tried War comics and know you don't like them or is it just based on prejudices and pre-conceptions towards that particular genre?

Umm, we need to keep people away from war books, not encourage them to collect. poke2.gifgrin.gif

War - although I do enjoy the genre, it's just too late to get started now.

Romance - I fail to be able to channel greggy...even for one second!!! 893whatthe.gif

Funny Animal - except Barks or Kelly

Copper Independents - Plenty of glut in that Black & White glut.

Everything else is fair game. takeit.gif

westerns, but do read the new lone ranger and hex.

wait i love the old jonah hex so scratch that

romance, no wait i love anything matt baker drew

war , spoon it!!! sgt. rock is the man!!!!!

i wish i could be cool and say i did not read moderns, but i have too.

ohh i do not collect funny animal cartoon books. if i find them in a box i just bought i give them to kids.

it is just funny to me to watch a 6 yr old destroy a 30 year old bugsbunny book.......

Romance - I fail to be able to channel greggy...even for one second!!! 893whatthe.gif

Funny Animal - except Barks or Kelly

Copper Independents - Plenty of glut in that Black & White glut.

takeit.gif

Moderns (aside from a couple of independent titles)

Funny animal (never got into it)

Richie Rich, Archie, Little Lulu, etc. (see above)

Copper Age (read them when they were new)

Most GA (need to get into a higher tax bracket)

Magazines (collected for awhile and got it out of my system)

Most OA (see GA)

Angelo

It's just a personal perference. I don't like War movies, War games, real wars with other nations, the band War, that old song 'War, what is it good for...absolutely nothing', or War comics.

I like looking at the covers though when October sells them.

I don't collect GA titles of the heroes I like...but that's mainly financial. If I was stupid rich, I'd be all over some of that stuff.

Don't collect a lot of current titles either - only about 10 books on my pull list.

Really don't collect anything that's not in my post in the 'what do you collect' thread. smile.gif

I am somewhat selective in the drek from the last 20-25 years I am willing to purchase. The bulk of it does not appeal to me at 5 cents a book. I just don't want the clutter. I'd take it for free with the intent of giving it away.

Bronze and earlier, price is always a factor.

Classics Illustrated -- the edition/HRN thing is also too confusing to me, of course, if I see some classics with 10 cent covers in a dollar box I would definitely grab a few! My mother would buy them for me when I was a kid and thought they were ok. No Junior classics for me?

10 cents non Disney/Warner (I am fond of Bugs, Daffy and Porky) funny animal needs to be really cheap with a few other exceptions.

That's really it. I'm game for anything if the price is right, although some 70s reprint books have no appeal. I probably wouldn't pay cover price for later Marvels Greatest or Marvel Tales and the rest of them. For whatever reason, I lose interest when the cover price is more than 25 cents.

Anything I'm not personally interested in ... even if it's a key and at a crazy low price ( exceptions apply, but is the general case )

Archie - never interested, see above statement, I don't know why some people are so screwy.gif for Archie, but I guess the same could be said about my tastes as well

Basically anything that doesn't have webs, an X in the title, adamantium, or hot chicks with weapons cloud9.gif

For you or because they're out of reach? I think they'll still have a way to go if a successful Sgt Rock movie were made.

BTW, I don't collect nothing.

(I'll pick up anything that catches my eye that I can afford)

While I am not surprised most stay away from duck books, the aversion to duck comics is really surprising. Have you guys tried duck comics and know you don't like them or is it just based on prejudices and pre-conceptions towards that particular genre?

anything newer than Copper Age.

anything older than Golden Age.

any - and i mean ANY - Silver Age Marvels. SA Marvels are the Led Zep of comics. Sure they're great, but sooooooo overplayed.

any cover that explains in a word balloon what is happening on the cover. thus, every SA issue of any title with a member of the Superman or Batman universe in it, excepting JLAs. special mention for "Great Scott" or "I am now in danger because of x" covers

Stuff that does not interest me (for the most part):

War Comics

Westerns

Modern "Horror"

Spider-man

Most any character or team that has multiple titles (I will pick some up if the creative teams interest me though)

Archies

Bendis books ... for the most part.

Variants (again for the most part I do pick up the odd one here and there if it is on a title I collect or I like the art)

Anything with Byrne or Liefield's name on it (what little I do own with name on it is mostly to finish runs or because the creative team he hired was actually good)

I would have to say there is an awful lot I don't collect or probably never will but I only have so much time and money. I do feel I have a fairly diverse range though.