• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could choose 1 comic book

57 posts in this topic

This is sort of a hypothetical.

Here are your options:

All unrestored:

Any Action 18 up - Most VF or better

Any Detective 31 up - Most VF or better

Some are NM or better, however, you don't know what the average grade is, at least not at the moment. Not OO.

You can only choose 1, maybe 2 books. Which one(s) do you go for?

The best war covers (Actions) ?

The scarcest books in high grade?

The hottest books on the market (early Tecs)?

Pedigree copies?

The highest graded early books?

Are there no Marvel Mystery or Captain America in this hypothetical collection?

If your choices are Action 18 and up, or Detective 31 and up, I'd think the best book would be 'Tec 31. With the runner-up being 'Tec 38.

So far:

2 votes Tec 38

1 vote Tec 31

1 vote Tec 33

2 votes earliest Action/Detectives with nicest page quality and least amount of oxidation.

Most everyone would pick high grade early Tecs over high grade early Actions? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

QUOTE// Most everyone would pick high grade early Tecs over high grade early Actions?

With the exception of Action 1 , you are correct.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Everyone would agree that if the Tecs are just as nice as the Actions, that I should just look at the Tecs?

This was my gut as well. My instincts, not that it's rocket science, was to go for the Tec 31, 33, 35 first and of course the 38 if it's high grade. Any disagreements?

No NM Actions in the high teens or twenties that would supplant the Tecs?

Brent

quote//No NM Actions in the high teens or twenties that would supplant the Tecs?

No, and the reason being the important history of the Actions is all wrapped up in one book, Action comics # 1, While the important history of the Tecs is spread out amongst a number of early books...1 , 27, 33, 38 for example.

quote//No NM Actions in the high teens or twenties that would supplant the Tecs?

No, and the reason being the important history of the Actions is all wrapped up in one book, Action comics # 1, While the important history of the Tecs is spread out amongst a number of early books...1 , 27, 33, 38 for example.

Understood, so it would be best to concentrate on the Pre-Robin Tecs, especially the keys.

You know, when I read this, I thought you were nuts. But then I took a quick look at the post-#18 Actions and you're absolutely right. All the really great iconic war covers seem to have been on Superman, not Action. There doesn't appear to have been any significant first appearances or other developments in Action, and starting at #18 means I can't pick one of the great O'Mealia covers either.

I'm not sure why Action # 23 in highest grade isn't showing up on anyone's list...I still feel this is a sorely underappreciated book.

If I had to pick two books, I would go with Tec 31 and Action 23.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif It may be underappreciated, but if you had a VF copy of Action #23 and a VF copy of Tec #35, which one would you take?

The census shows that Tec #35 is a much more scarce book in HG.

I'm not sure why Action # 23 in highest grade isn't showing up on anyone's list...I still feel this is a sorely underappreciated book.

If I had to pick two books, I would go with Tec 31 and Action 23.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif It may be underappreciated, but if you had a VF copy of Action #23 and a VF copy of Tec #35, which one would you take?

The census shows that Tec #35 is a much more scarce book in HG.

#35, #35, #35,......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif......#35!!!!