• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could choose 1 comic book

57 posts in this topic

I'm not sure why Action # 23 in highest grade isn't showing up on anyone's list...I still feel this is a sorely underappreciated book.

If I had to pick two books, I would go with Tec 31 and Action 23.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif It may be underappreciated, but if you had a VF copy of Action #23 and a VF copy of Tec #35, which one would you take?

The census shows that Tec #35 is a much more scarce book in HG.

And I didn't realize Tec #33 was so pricey in the guide. Would anyone take a #35 over a #33 in the same grade?

I'm not sure why Action # 23 in highest grade isn't showing up on anyone's list...I still feel this is a sorely underappreciated book.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif It may be underappreciated, but if you had a VF copy of Action #23 and a VF copy of Tec #35, which one would you take?

And I didn't realize Tec #33 was so pricey in the guide. Would anyone take a #35 over a #33 in the same grade?

I think I would have to take the #35...although the origin issue is a great thing to have there is something so intriguing about the 3 classic covers from the early tec run (29,31,and 35)

Perhaps I'm committing sacrilage here, and I'm probably alone on this, but put me down as someone who thinks that Detective # 35 is highly overrated.

Its a god awful cover more deserving of being on Popular Comics then Detective Comics. Batman holding a gun on an interior panel? That's nice. Start of batman as the permanent cover star in the title? Okay. Hyperdermic cover? Kinda interesting if it didn't look like a third grader drew it. I'm not sure why Tec 31 and 35 are even mentioned in the same breath.

But really, its got scarcity for it, and little else, cause I just can't see the other merits being all that significant.

Now, Action # 23....there's a book. 1st appearance of Superman's arch nemesis, and arguably one of the greatest villains in Comics history. Yet, for the most part, it has yet to "breakout" in the minds and, more importantly, pocketbooks of collectors.

Not me Brent, I'd take the 33 all the way.

Perhaps I'm committing sacrilage here, and I'm probably alone on this, but put me down as someone who thinks that Detective # 35 is highly overrated.

Its a god awful cover more deserving of being on Popular Comics then Detective Comics. Batman holding a gun on an interior panel? That's nice. Start of batman as the permanent cover star in the title? Okay. Hyperdermic cover? Kinda interesting if it didn't look like a third grader drew it. I'm not sure why Tec 31 and 35 are even mentioned in the same breath.

But really, its got scarcity for it, and little else, cause I just can't see the other merits being all that significant.

Now, Action # 23....there's a book. 1st appearance of Superman's arch nemesis, and arguably one of the greatest villains in Comics history. Yet, for the most part, it has yet to "breakout" in the minds and, more importantly, pocketbooks of collectors.

I will agree with you that the art on 35 isn't that great....and maybe I am only speaking for myself….but that is part of the appeal to me. The way batman is drawn is like watching clips of the Simpson’s on the Tracy Ullman show. To me it shows some experiment with a character who would become arguably the greatest (and coolest looking grin.gif) hero of all time.

I do agree that #23 is a very underrated and undervalued book!

All the really great iconic war covers seem to have been on Superman, not Action.

I couldn't disagree more...

Okay, I`ll grant you 40 and 63.

Tim, what are you considering the iconic Superman covers? When I think iconic, I think Supes #14 & #24, which are more patriotic than war-themed.

Don't get me wrong, I think Supes #17, #18, & #23 are great covers, but would they be considered "iconic" Superman covers?

Then I guess it would just come down to which copy is higher grade/has better preservation.

Then I guess it would just come down to which copy is higher grade/has better preservation.

Perhaps. But the true "stud" book of the two is the 33. 35 is "in vogue" right now, and has been before, but it is based on the cover. 33 has an awesome cover, and mucho bang for your buck on the inside. 27 and 33 go together like cake and ice cream. cloud9.gif

35 is "in vogue" right now, and has been before

Very true!

I agree that as a comic in and out 33 is a far superior piece! I would still rather OWN a copy of 35 because of the cover and how obscure this books is, in many ways, compared to any other Tecs.

Its also great to have what’s in style poke2.gif

Perhaps. But the true "stud" book of the two is the 33. 35 is "in vogue" right now, and has been before, but it is based on the cover. 33 has an awesome cover, and mucho bang for your buck on the inside. 27 and 33 go together like cake and ice cream. cloud9.gif

So what you're really telling me is that hypothetically, I buy the 33 and 35. Flip the 35 and keep the 33. cloud9.gif

Wait, I forgot about the 31, how does that play in? sumo.gif

Think I'll keep my eye out for an Action #23 in San Diego. I'd love to find a sharp 6.0 copy. cloud9.gif

Think I'll keep my eye out for an Action #23 in San Diego. I'd love to find a sharp 6.0 copy. cloud9.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

So what you're really telling me is that hypothetically, I buy the 33 and 35. Flip the 35 and keep the 33.

Wait, I forgot about the 31, how does that play in?

I would take the #33 (which I own) over the #35 (which I still need to buy).

#31 vs #33 a harder choice.

In slabbed form #31 is prettier. To read the #33.

I think it depends on the price. If you are talking about buying either the 33 or the 35 for the same price, definitely the 33. But if you're talking about paying the same % of guide for each book, definitely the 35. The 35 will sell for multiples of guide, where the 33 probably won't. If this is purely hypothetical and the value doesn't matter at all... I'd probably take the 33 out of the two. But the 'Tec 31 over both.

There are definitely some neat Actions that would be really great to look at in high grade (19, 23, 40, etc) but nothing that would trump a high grade 'Tec 31, 33, or 35.

Personally, if I came across a collection like this... high grade copies of the two best runs in comics... I'd try to buy everything. acclaim.gif

I think it depends on the price. If you are talking about buying either the 33 or the 35 for the same price, definitely the 33. But if you're talking about paying the same % of guide for each book, definitely the 35. The 35 will sell for multiples of guide, where the 33 probably won't. If this is purely hypothetical and the value doesn't matter at all... I'd probably take the 33 out of the two. But the 'Tec 31 over both.

There are definitely some neat Actions that would be really great to look at in high grade (19, 23, 40, etc) but nothing that would trump a high grade 'Tec 31, 33, or 35.

Personally, if I came across a collection like this... high grade copies of the two best runs in comics... I'd try to buy everything. acclaim.gif

I wish that were possible.

It's all in relationship to guide. So I guess I get more bang for my buck with #35. Then #31, then #33. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's all in relationship to guide. So I guess I get more bang for my buck with #35. Then #31, then #33. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, if its all in relation to guide, the 'Tec 35 and 'Tec 31 are definitely the two books to go after. In high grade, either one of them would sell for considerably over guide. Especially the 35.