• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - TOS #39 and Hulk #1

17 posts in this topic

Another sweet deal I got back in late 90's from my LCM. Agreed to terms on the TOS, and got the Hulk thrown into the deal for extra $100.

Major issue with the TOS is corner crease in lower right part of the book - looking closely you can see it running diagonally thru W in "Were, thru F in Favorite and upward thru Iron Man's foot. Several small stress lines on spine, and upper left corner is pretty blunted.

TOS39-front.jpg

TOS39-back.jpg

Hulk1-front.jpg

Hulk1-back.jpg

So whatcha think...are either worthy of CGC submission?

Given that they both seriously key issues, their value can only be enhanced by grading and restoration checks.

Are you a Collector's Society member? If not sign-up, and get your 3 "free" grades for $99.

TOS 39 ~ 7.0 I think it can hold at 7.0 even with the crease.

Hulk 1 ~ 5.0 893applaud-thumb.gif

...and got the Hulk thrown into the deal for extra $100.

893whatthe.gif

I'll give ya $200 for it!!! thumbsup2.gif27_laughing.gif

Another sweet deal I got back in late 90's from my LCM. Agreed to terms on the TOS, and got the Hulk thrown into the deal for extra $100.

Wow... Unless you extremely overpaid for the TOS, what a great deal. Even in the late 90s, Hulk 1 in this condition was ~ a $1000 book.

TOS - 6.5. Sorry, can't go any higher with such a long crease on the front cover.

Hulk - 4.0. Presents slightly nicer, but back view shows the spine is heavily creased.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow... Unless you extremely overpaid for the TOS, what a great deal. Even in the late 90s, Hulk 1 in this condition was ~ a $1000 book.

TOS - 6.5. Sorry, can't go any higher with such a long crease on the front cover.

Hulk - 4.0. Presents slightly nicer, but back view shows the spine is heavily creased.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow! Nice books. Gotta agree with the zipperman here on the grades. The TOS 39 look a lot better than 6.5 but thats a big color breaking crease.

The Hulk #1 I think 4.0 is dead on.

I hope to own both of these some day.

The TOS #39 is very nice. It would hold a place of honour in my humble collection.

Hulk #1: I hesitate to suggest this because I am seeing only a scan but the top right of the front cover looks rather wavy as it descends towards the MC box. The stress (Marvel chipping?) to the right of the MC box could be evidence of where someone did a bad job of holding the comic during a trim. Once again, I am only seeing a scan so I don't want to unduly rain on a parade. Could be these early Hulks had bad cuts (like some early DD and late TTA).

Dennis

Major issue with the TOS is corner crease in lower right part of the book - looking closely you can see it running diagonally thru W in "Were, thru F in Favorite and upward thru Iron Man's foot. Several small stress lines on spine, and upper left corner is pretty blunted.

TOS39-front.jpg

TOS39-back.jpg

Hulk1-front.jpg

Hulk1-back.jpg

So whatcha think...are either worthy of CGC submission?

I'd say 6.0 on the TOS39 and 4.5 on the Hulk 1...

awesome looking TOS even with that crease.. depending on what you spent on that one alone you might have gotten a great deal.. but hulk 1 for 100$.. greatttt... Im with the others.. get these 2 graded just to make sure nothing has been touched up or anything.. makes the value much more regardless of grade (IMO)

Thanks to all for the comments - they pretty much confirmed my own thinking on the books. The package price for the two was $1k, and I was so taken with the TOS at the time that it wasn't until a couple of months later that I noticed the crease! 893censored-thumb.gifforeheadslap.giftonofbricks.gif But...the Hulk pretty much made up for the overpay (at the time) for the book.

FYI, all of my books are raw as CGC didn't exist at the time I was first collecting. Will most likely be joining and begin shipping off some books for grading...and these could be part of the first shipment. However, have to be careful as I don't want to go broke paying for grading fees!

Will post some more of what I consider my better quality books for comments...and thanks again for making me welcome here!! cloud9.gif

Thanks to all for the comments - they pretty much confirmed my own thinking on the books. The package price for the two was $1k, and I was so taken with the TOS at the time that it wasn't until a couple of months later that I noticed the crease! 893censored-thumb.gifforeheadslap.giftonofbricks.gif But...the Hulk pretty much made up for the overpay (at the time) for the book.

FYI, all of my books are raw as CGC didn't exist at the time I was first collecting. Will most likely be joining and begin shipping off some books for grading...and these could be part of the first shipment. However, have to be careful as I don't want to go broke paying for grading fees!

Will post some more of what I consider my better quality books for comments...and thanks again for making me welcome here!! cloud9.gif

welcome to the boards.... insane.gifthumbsup2.gif

5.5 on the TOS #39 and 4.0 on the Hulk #1.

5.5 is waaay too harsh on the TOS, particularly in the context of your 4.0 on the Hulk makepoint.gif Time for a refresher for you grin.gif