• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what yrs, make what age?

37 posts in this topic

Start of the Copper Age should be in 1979 with Daredevil 158 or 1981 with Daredevil 168.

1990-1998 should be referred to as "The Enamel Age." Did anyone in a 1990's comic ever do anything besides grimace or scream?

Maybe the 1990's could be called - Over Sized Anatomy Age

Kinda rolls off the tongue !

41088-B1186009B.jpg.d9b8d1571649074e6e2a92bc1a8ed400.jpg

i am kinda new to all the thing comics other than i collect certin comics and number1s.

what yrs would be what so i kan join in and show off some comics :)

gold

silver.........age :)

please and thank you!

It all varies depending on what type of comics you like and many people will have a different take on it.

Try fitting Dilbert, Liberty Meadows, Modesty Blaise, Maus, Blankets, Tintin and Barefoot Gen into an age schema. It’s not easy.

I prefer to use decades. It just seems, well less silly than the growing list of age titles and the broad range of comics that refuse to be shoehorned into them.

Some rhetorical musings..

When was the Golden Age of Batman?

When was the Golden Age of Tintin?

When was the Golden Age of Peanuts?

When was the Golden Age of Underground Comics?

When was the Golden Age of Web Comics?

Earl.

Golden Age of UG's would probably start in 1963 with Bode's "Das Kamfp" (most will think it was 1962, but after reading an interview with Frank Stack I've found this isn't the case as he said he started writing "Jesus" in 1961 but that Shelton didn't print it until 1964), until the end of 1972 or start of 1974? Though some could say that the First print of Zap #1 could be considered the start on 25 February 1968, making the Platinum age of UG's from May 1963 until Feb 1968 which I prefer.

Here's some stuff I've been keep track of regarding that era of UG's...

May 1963 - Vaughn Bode’s Das Kampf (1st print) (100 or so copies).

1964 - the Adventures of Jesus (Frank Stack “Foolbert Sturgeon” started drawing it in 1961) (1st print) Approx. 50 (42) copies. 2nd print said to have been made in 1963, but not possible in that year, done later (1965?).

[Fall] 1964 - God Nose (1st print, 1,000 copies).

1965 - Joel Beck’s Lenny of Laredo.

1965 - Berkeley Barb starts.

1966 - Joel Beck’s The Profit.

1967 - Vaughn Bode's student pubs (Syracuse, NY) incl. Cheech Wizard & The Machines.

1967 - Yarrowstalks #1.

Spring 1967 - Snide #1.

near end of 1967 - Momma-Daddie (published by Don Dohahue)(almost all copies burned by owner of printing plant).

*25 February 1968 - Zap #1 (1st print by C. Plymell & D. Donahue, approx. 4,500-5,000 copies, but approx. 500 issues were destroyed in the Mowry Opera House fire). Some say 1,500 – 4,000, but D. Donahue has copies of records showing 4,000 copies sold to Bob Rita of Third World Distribution on Haight Street in San Francisco, but I don’t think this includes the copies sold on Haight Street by Dana and Robert Crumb.

*(…two months later) June 1968 - Zap #1 (2nd print by D. Donahue w/ approx. 5,000 copies “…paid for in advance by legendary Berkeley bookseller Moe Moscowitz on behalf of friend Don Shenker” (Print Mint) – D. Donahue from Blab! #3 in 1988.)

*June/July 1968 - Zap #2 (1st print w/ est. 5,000 copies by Print Mint).

*July? 1968 - Zap #2 (2nd print w/ est. 4,500 copies by Print Mint).

*July 1968 (Don Fiene “Checklist” states about Dec.) - Zap #0 (1st print by D. Donahue w/ est. 5,000 copies). "ZAP #0 and ZAP #2 came out at roughly the same time. Maybe the same week, who knows?…" - Don Donahue via e-mail 14 April 2007.

1968 [December] - Bijou Funnies #1 (1st print).

1968 - Feds 'n' Heads #1 (1st print).

*October 1968 - Snatch #1 (1st print (-3rd) by D. Donahue with 800 copies). (but has been quoted as coming out shortly after Zap #3?)

*2nd half [December] 1968 - Zap #3 (1st print by Print Mint).

*Dec. 1968/January 1969 - Snatch #2 (copyright 1968) (1st-3rd prints by D. Donahue).

(February 1969 - Print Mint “officially” takes over printing Zap?)

*February 1969 - Zap #0 (2nd print by Print Mint).

February 1969 - Feds 'n' Heads #1 (2nd print).

*[April] 1969 - Jiz #1 (1st print)

*April 1969 – Motor City Comics #1 (1st print) (by May 1969, 80,000 copies of the first 4 (#0-3) of Zap had been printed/sold.) H. Pekar *June 1969 - O-Zone Comics #1 *[July] 1969 - Zap #4 (1st print) [The first printing has slightly heavier cover stock and the top staple is 2 5/16" from the top edge. …a cover price of 50 cents, no copyright notice, regular cover stock, and the top end of the top staple is 2 11/16" from the top edge of the book, …that makes it a 2nd printing.] – D. Donahue via his listing through ApexNovelties for Zap #4 (2nd print)] “By the time Zap #3 and #4 were published sales were as high 50.000 copies each for the first printing (subsequent printings increased that number into the six figures).” Steven Heller (2000)

*25 July/August 1969 – Big #1 (1st print)

[spring] June 1969 - Mom's Homemade Comics #1 (1st print).

1969 - Bogeyman #1 & 2.

Sept. 1969 - Bijou Funnies #2 (1st print) Jay Lynch stated that Don Donahue was printing Bogeyman #1 or 2 when this was printed.

(“between Jiz and (July 1970)” - Cleopatra (1st print)

*November 1969 – Despair (1st print) *Fall 1969/Jan. Feb. 1970 – San Francisco Comic Book #1

Jan. 1970 - Mom's Homemade Comics #2.

*February 17 1970 – Motor City Comics #2 (1st print)

by 1st Earth day April 1970 - Slow Death Funnies #1 (1st print).

July 1970 - It Ain't Me, Babe.

*July 1970 (Fire at Apex Novelties loft, S.F.) - (1969 copyright).

Jan. 1971 - Home Grown Funnies (1st print).

01 Feb. 1971 - Freak Brothers #1 (1st print).

Feb. 1971 - Mom's Homemade Comics #3.

July 1972 - Tits and (bleep)s #1 (1st print).

Aug. 1972 - Wimmen's Comix #1 (1st print).

I'd go with 1982 for the start of the Copper Age : Wolvy Mini

I'd agree with this and have always considered 82' to be CA....even though CGC has 1982 included in their BA #1 registry set.

I never get too bothered with people blurring the lines by a year or two either way (mainly cause depending on the source, it can be confusing), but it really bugs me when I see books like the 1990 Spider-Man #1 being listed in the BA or SA sections. :screwy:

Being a traditionalist, I would stick with Golden, Silver, Bronze, Copper....instead of decades. Part of the fun is in this hobby is speculating about start and stop issues of particular "ages".

My vote for the end of the Bronze age and the beginning of the Copper Age would be more along the lines of when Direct Sales copies started showing up in late 70's or early 80's. (Surely someone knows this date). I would also possibly go with establishing it with the advent of Pacific Comics which in my mind was representative of the movement to establish more independence for artists and writers.

Being a big Neal Adams fan, I would vote for his work on Batman or Detective as the beginning of the Bronze Age. I really thought he redefined Batman and made it much better. However, I am intrigued by Flaming Telepath's thoughts on using the horror storyline in comics as a possible start time. If there was a definite intent by the Comics Code Authority to relax some standards for content and the horror comics were the first to take advantage of this, then this could be a good definining date.

This is an interresting thread though!

It's more detailed that this, but here's the basic breakdown:

Golden Age - 1939 - 1955

Silver Age - 1956-1969

Bronze Age - 1970 - 1980

Copper Age - 1981 - 1990

Modern - Who Cares?

Starting the Silver Age at 1956 (with Showcase #4) is just plain revisionist history . . . particularly when everyone knows it really started in 1961 (With FF #1).

Thus, you really do need an intermediary (Atomic Age) between Gold and Silver, post-war isn't enough . . . thoughts anyone?

Conan #1 is the only true focal point for the start of the Bronze Age, period. Farouk Green Lantern - he always was, and always has been a second-tier title.

The Bronze Age ends earlier than anyone allows. Stretching it to 1980, ignores everything that was going on in the marketplace. I'd go with 1976 when direct market editions, poor QP, and barcodes arrived on the scenes - We, as collectors, left the hobby in freakin' droves. sumo.gif

...with the advent of Pacific Comics which in my mind was representative of the movement to establish more independence for artists and writers

Agreed with that fact, but still think the limited series did more for the market than the independent titles. But didn't PC basically start with Captain Victory in August 1981 making it not that different than June of 1982. Strengthening the fact that Copper should begin in early 1980's.

Very good article on Pacific Comics:

http://www.sdreader.com/php/cover.php?mode=article&showpg=1&id=20040819

It's more detailed that this, but here's the basic breakdown:

Golden Age - 1939 - 1955

Silver Age - 1956-1969

Bronze Age - 1970 - 1980

Copper Age - 1981 - 1990

Modern - Who Cares?

Starting the Silver Age at 1956 (with Showcase #4) is just plain revisionist history . . . particularly when everyone knows it really started in 1961 (With FF #1).

Thus, you really do need an intermediary (Atomic Age) between Gold and Silver, post-war isn't enough . . . thoughts anyone?

Conan #1 is the only true focal point for the start of the Bronze Age, period. Farouk Green Lantern - he always was, and always has been a second-tier title.

The Bronze Age ends earlier than anyone allows. Stretching it to 1980, ignores everything that was going on in the marketplace. I'd go with 1976 when direct market editions, poor QP, and barcodes arrived on the scenes - We, as collectors, left the hobby in freakin' droves. sumo.gif

So you're suggesting that PPSS 1 is a Copper Age book?

50 Cent #II (1st): That was a good article and I could definitely vote for Dazzler #1 being the first Copper Age comic as it was first direct distribution only comic targeted for "collectors" and yet providing comic shops with a way to load up inventory of a "sure" collectors' issue. As you can tell, comics died in the early '80s for me and I consider all after that to be . - and Dazzler was definitely , , , !

Divad: I could kinda go your way with a '70s date for ending the Bronze Age, but there is no way I could leave the Avengers' storyline in 168(?)-177 or the Fantastic Four 190 - 200 storyline out of the Bronze Age which occurred in the late '70s. Conan #1? Surely ye jest!

Conan #1? Surely ye jest!

Yeah, the first comic book appearance of a major character, which went on to win many awards and was the best-selling book at Marvel for years, paved the way for the anti-hero blitz in the early-70's, as well as proving the licensed characters could sell and be critically acclaimed....

vs.

Neal Adams work on Batman.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well, then Dazzler #1 was released March 1981.

But tons of stuff happened in 1981 to break up the old BA and usher in the CA, of which Dazzler #1 was only a small part.

Everything from Miller taking over the writing on Daredevil to Byrne quitting X-Men and doing everything on Fantastic Four. Marvel Fanfare in early 1982 was HUGE news back then, and had far more effect on the biz than Dazzler.

Conan #1? Surely ye jest!

Yeah, the first comic book appearance of a major character, which went on to win many awards and was the best-selling book at Marvel for years, paved the way for the anti-hero blitz in the early-70's, as well as proving the licensed characters could sell and be critically acclaimed....

vs.

Neal Adams work on Batman.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey, never said that I was completely objective about this.... but I gotta put Neal in this discussion somewhere. :)

But I am warming up to the idea of a non superhero title(s), whether it be one of the "horror" series or Conan, defining the start of the Bronze Age.

The Bronze age is much older apparently.

ATHENS (Reuters) - Roadworks in southern Greece have unearthed a rare Mycenaean grave thought to be well over 3,000 years old and containing important burial offerings including a gold chalice, the culture ministry said on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Archaeologists said it appeared to be the grave of a local military official and was the first time a single grave had been found with such a combination of objects -- including a bronze and gold sword, and a bronze spear point, knife and pot.

Pottery found in the grave dated it to around 1,200 BC

"It included one dead body in a fetal position, whose bones had disintegrated," the ministry said in a statement. "But the burial offerings are in very good condition and especially important."

The Bronze Age grave, found near the town of Agrinio in the Peloponnese, measures 1.48 by 0.78 meters (yards) and is made with limestone slabs.

Maybe the pottery was a family heirloom that was passed down for centuries before finally being buried with the military officer because he didn't have any family survivors...

Then that pottery wouldn't really properly date that grave...

Or maybe someone dug up an old grave to bury this military officer in it and saw the old pottery in it already and just left it because they thought it was nice and threw out the bones...