• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what yrs, make what age?

37 posts in this topic

i am kinda new to all the thing comics other than i collect certin comics and number1s.

what yrs would be what so i kan join in and show off some comics :)

gold

silver.........age :)

please and thank you!

It's more detailed that this, but here's the basic breakdown:

Golden Age - 1939 - 1955

Silver Age - 1956-1969

Bronze Age - 1970 - 1980

Copper Age - 1981 - 1990

Modern - Who Cares?

It's more detailed that this, but here's the basic breakdown:

Golden Age - 1939 - 1955

Silver Age - 1956-1969

Bronze Age - 1970 - 1980

Copper Age - 1981 - 1990

Modern - Who Cares until around 1998?

Fixed it for you. (thumbs up

bronze 1970 to 1985?

No way. The Bronze Age definitely ended around 1979-81, depending on the book.

The Overstreet guide said a couple years ago when discussing the copper age that it started in 84-85 whenever Secret Wars came out.

The Overstreet guide said a couple years ago when discussing the copper age that it started in 84-85 whenever Secret Wars came out.

And OS can kiss my cold Canadian hass!

Seriously, as many others have stated, this stupid change was just a scheme by dealers to make their POS early-80's drek into saleable "Bronze Age" books.

And just for the record, OS also stated that the Bronze Age started with ASM 121, a stance that virtually no one on here, or in the hobby at large, supports. The main contenders are GL/GA 76 or Conan #1, both of which OS totally disregarded.

Seriously, as many others have stated, this stupid change was just a scheme by dealers to make their POS early-80's drek into saleable "Bronze Age" books.

And just for the record, OS also stated that the Bronze Age started with ASM 121, a stance that virtually no one on here, or in the hobby at large, supports. The main contenders are GL/GA 76 or Conan #1, both of which OS totally disregarded.

Or House Of Secrets #92, maybe? confused-smiley-013.gif

It certainly wasn't ASM #121.

awsome replies all! i have always loved comics and have had a store of a collectin when i was younger but had to sell for schooling :( now i am back on my #1s and have ALOT of catching up to do.i didnt even know i could have a comic graded till i started with coins and joined the collectors society :) i also collect cells from cartoons :) mainly smurfs but some heithcliff and grafield also :)

now i have a idea of what i need to search for in the ages :) thanks all :)

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=3601&si=124

DC's first hugely successful relaunch came 4 1/2 years before the Crisis (and by the same creative team) with the New Teen Titans. A few months later, Marvel gave us the "Days of Future Past" storyline in X-Men which opened the Pandora's box of alternate X-futures and the title started becoming the complex world we know and love. That same month, Frank Miller took over the writing of a title he'd been drawing for a year or two and started the classic Daredevil/Elektra/Kingpin/Bullseye saga that opened the door to gritty drama in super-heroes. Those three titles created the popularity of teenagers, mutants, and ninjas that would later inspire a terrapin parody. Six months later John Byrne began his run on Fantastic Four. So my vote for the start of the Copper Age is 1981.

Kirk Mills

Start of the Copper Age should be in 1979 with Daredevil 158 or 1981 with Daredevil 168.

1990-1998 should be referred to as "The Enamel Age." Did anyone in a 1990's comic ever do anything besides grimace or scream?

F. T. : Why HOS #92? Would this be due to first relaxed code restrictions horror issue? If so, interresting thought for start of the Bronze Age.

Start of the Copper Age should be in 1979 with Daredevil 158 or 1981 with Daredevil 168.

1990-1998 should be referred to as "The Enamel Age." Did anyone in a 1990's comic ever do anything besides grimace or scream?

yes... I was able to shave by looking into the reflection of the foil covers like a mirror...

F. T. : Why HOS #92? Would this be due to first relaxed code restrictions horror issue? If so, interresting thought for start of the Bronze Age.

Yeah, that's part of it. Also, the Bronze Age was very much the 'horror age'...WWBN, Frankenstein, Ghost Rider, Son Of Satan, Tomb Of Dracula, Swamp Thing, Man-Thing, Man-Wolf, Morbius, HOM, HOS, Ghosts, Unexpected, all the Marvel magazines...and on and on and....

And although HOS and HOM had started down this path already, Swampie was the first recognisable character/hero to usher in the Age.

Said it before, but I believe the Copper Age should start with the first Marvel limited series "Marvel Super-Hero Contest of Champions" (not only was it Marvel's first limited series, but it a limited series that put most of the major, and not so major, Marvel Universe characters together in one series. Though not as successful as then next big series that changed a lot of comic sales for that time, the "Secret Wars"). CoC was in June 1982 (Yes, I know DC had their first out in 1979 "World or Krypton and then "Untold Legend of Batman"), Wolverine started Sept. 1982. Would work well timing wise, but most probably would disagree...

A good end point would be the comic market crash around early to mid '90's (Eclipse went out of business and around that time Valiant had the Unity series I think). Yes, I know the start of the previous Ages started with events in Comics and not their publishing, but with time things change and so does ways to measure (horsepower use to be measured differently also, that's way a '67 'Vette with a 427 was said to have more HP then than what that same engine would be rated now).

I'm still a big fan of using the decades... because it doesn't require any explanation.

Sure the Golden Age spans multiple decades,

but who doesn't consider a 1930s comic as "different"

than a 1940s comic, which is "different" than a 1950s comic?

If I say that I collect "early Atomic Age" books then that's just begging for more detail,

and the "more detail" that's needed is the date.

Does anyone need extra explanation if I say I collect "comics from the mid-1940s"? Problem solved.

The 1960s are clearly Silver Age, but they're also the 1960s.

Which is easier to explain to someone who doesn't know?

I think "1960s" is a BETTER explanation than "Silver Age" if I'm talking to a non-collector.

The world recognizes "Silver" as 2nd place... do Silver Age collectors

really feel like they collect "2nd place" (second rate) comics?

I'm sorry "Silver Age" fanatics, but the Olympics have taught the world what "Silver" means.

Unless you consider your hobby "#2" behind Golden Age, you shouldn't brag about "Silver" to a non-collector.

The 1970s are Bronze Age, but they're also the 1970s.

Just like "Silver" at #2, "Bronze" would be #3. Like it or not, everyone knows the Bronze is third.

Are Bronze Age comics "third best"? If so, then why bother even collecting them...

...and especially true for the easy use of decades is more recent decades.

The 1980s are the 1980s... they have their own "flavor".

Do they need to be "Copper"? Why? That's not even a "medal".

What is the first thing someone who doesn't know what the "Copper Age" is will ask you?

"Copper Age... what years are the Copper Age?" Why not call it the 1980s?

The 1990s have their "stigma" or whatever, but everyone knows what is meant by "comics from the 1990s".

2000-present... duh.

Surely there's tradition around "Golden Age" and "Silver Age", but tradition doesn't mean "common sense".

With the introduction of Bronze, Copper, Platinum, Victorian, etc., etc.,

it makes more and more sense to just talk about dates.

It's a clearer explanation in general,

it makes more sense to non-collectors,

it makes perfect sense to beginning collectors,

and it takes away the confusion of "second best" (Silver) and "third best" (Bronze).

Regardless of what books you pick to start the Bronze Age, or to end the Copper Age,

you're really picking dates for an age... and then having to explain it as dates again later.

Why don't we just cut out the middle step?

::insert olive branch here::