• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man no.1

17 posts in this topic

Dear All

1st time I've posted in this particular section - but I've recently been blessed with this copy of ASM no.1.

I'm very interested in what the experts here think....

Should I get it graded?

Hope these pictures are big enough...

asm1front.jpg

asm1back.jpg

many thanks

Ewan

Always slabbed a key worth over $1000 before selling.

Some fool just paid over $1000 for a 1.0 CGC ASM 1 so some people like to throw big money at a slab.

Yours is one of those accursed pence copies though... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Still best to get it slabbed imo.

I'm thinking 2.5, but it is the UK/pence edition so it will not command the same value as the USA edition (I do not know exactly, but I would guess if a US 2.5 would command, say, $1500 in today's market (latest GPA info), then this would command at best 50% of that. Of course, the market would be truncated, as many, such as I are not interested in the UK version.

As Dan&Son advise, if you're not going to sell it, xlnt advice to keep it unslabbed for at least awhile to peruse for yourself and show your friends...

Many thanks guys

I must admit, I originally saw it as a 3.5 or even 4.0 - but I guess the lower right corner is pretty creased. So lets say 3.0... hey I'm not complaining I got this from an angel.

With the benefit of seeing it closely it does have great eye-appeal (so I like "pretty") and it's the first Silver-age key I've owned so it's quite special to have.

The PENCE marking is probably more of a detraction for US collectors (and I can appreciate why) but I don't think it should be devalued by 50%. But we'll see - as usefully, there's a very similar copy to mine selling on ebay right now...

PENCE SPIDEY

...which is already at £400 / $800 with 2 days to go.

What's a 3.0 worth?

Many thanks guys

I must admit, I originally saw it as a 3.5 or even 4.0 - but I guess the lower right corner is pretty creased. So lets say 3.0... hey I'm not complaining I got this from an angel.

With the benefit of seeing it closely it does have great eye-appeal (so I like "pretty") and it's the first Silver-age key I've owned so it's quite special to have.

The PENCE marking is probably more of a detraction for US collectors (and I can appreciate why) but I don't think it should be devalued by 50%. But we'll see - as usefully, there's a very similar copy to mine selling on ebay right now...

PENCE SPIDEY

...which is already at £400 / $800 with 2 days to go.

What's a 3.0 worth?

Per GP Analysis (all US CGC versions)

CGC 3.0 most recent sale $1776 July 2007 (very patriotic bid!)

last 90-days average (6-sales) $1627.67

last 12-months average (15-sales) $1552

Assume probably at least a third higher sales price for CGC vs RAW...so assume if it's a 3.0 raw then likely US sales price would be in the $1100 range (I used the 90-day average)...perhaps a UK version would go for sim price in UK...but significantly cheaper Stateside I believe...

Strong 3.0.

I have a quick question. Why is there such a resistence to Pence copies? Most are printed at the same time, as far as I've heard. Is it just preference? Or uninformed collectors? Something else? I'm just curious. I like the idea of being able to buy a key Pence copy that I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise...

Strong 3.0.

I have a quick question. Why is there such a resistence to Pence copies? Most are printed at the same time, as far as I've heard. Is it just preference? Or uninformed collectors? Something else? I'm just curious. I like the idea of being able to buy a key Pence copy that I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise...

IMO it's just "not the same"...don't have a jingo-istic attitude or anything but if I'm going after a set to me it's all the same thing...not a pence copy here, a german copy there, etc. If I found a copy at a garage sale or something for example I'd sell it and go after "the real deal"...

Strong 3.0.

not 'merkin . . . :grin: