• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified or Crapified?

312 posts in this topic

So a Green label is more "aesthetically pleasing" than a Blue label? Or is it that the number "6.0" is more aesthetically pleasing than its ugly, ugly counterpart nasty ol' "0.5"?

A book missing ten pages "doesn't even fail the reading function"? You're saying this because it's an older, "important" book, eh?

I meant the book itself is more aesthetically pleasing than a beat-to-[!@#%^&^] Poor typically would be...but since you love stereotypes...I know you were trying to paint me as someone fixated on a label, so I'll ignore it.

A book missing ten pages "doesn't even fail the reading function"? You're saying this because it's an older, "important" book, eh?

Why did you quote PART of what I said out of context? You changed the meaning of what I actually said.

Ignore what? I'm wondering what aesthetic value you're referring to? Surely your own eyes can distinguish between a .5 and a 6.0? I really wasn't trying to "stereotype" you... I just wanted you to clarify your statement. How does the aesthetic value change as the label changes?

And as far as the last part, I thought I was going along with what you were saying. confused-smiley-013.gif

Because he's a troll, FF........that's what he does.
I thought that it was your job? devil.gif

Shhhh. Bug's trying to pretend like he has something to say.

Personally, I would prefer to listen to hear ablue talk than to attempt to read through all this tripe in this whole thread. Should have ended over 100 posts ago! thumbsup2.gif

Shhhh. Bug's trying to pretend like he has something to say.
Personally, I would prefer to listen to hear ablue talk than to attempt to read through all this tripe in this whole thread. Should have ended over 100 posts ago! thumbsup2.gif

I kept going because I've been wanting to explore how incomplete books should be graded for a few years now, and I thought this would be a way of doing it...but it all went to pot. I'm not totally satisfied with the way Overstreet or CGC grade them, but I haven't figured out a better alternative yet.

Boy...you guys made me scroll (not read) more than 60 posts on this thread! thumbsup2.gif

Tricked ya! I know what you mean though, being on the east coast there's usually a plethora of "new" 40-50-60 post threads awaiting my perusal in the am. Unfortunately, many times they go like this:

mad.gif

893frustrated.gif

893whatthe.gif

sumo.gif

Sometimes if I'm lucky they're like this:

Troll!

Foolio!

Fokker!

confused-smiley-013.gif

I've got a funny Hulk cartoon/comic to post in the am to lighten things up, so for now I bid a good 'night to foolios and fokkers both!!

Because he's a troll, FF........that's what he does.
I thought that it was your job? devil.gif

No.....my job is to troll the troll. 893frustrated.gif

Yo...the Water Cooler is up North...TROLL! sumo.gif

WOW!!

It's been over 2 hours since this thread got a post. Could it be it's on the verge of dissipating into the ether of yesterday...?

Don't hold your breath, bunky! Not while I'm here. grin.gif

Seriously, I wanted to read the WHOLE VAN DAMME THING before giving any kind of educated, thought-out (wannabe) opinion. And let's not forget that's what all this boils down to- opinion, or more concisely, perspective.

Short & sweet: Label should say something like 6.0-0.5 or 6.0/0.5("otherwise/actual" wording optional) with the notation of the 10 missing pages. Blue label/green label...It is incredibly obvious the purpose of the different colors is purely marketting, and it works! Kudos to CGC in that respect.

But when it comes to full disclosure, how about a separate burnt mango label signifying an Incomplete; use for parts or displaying cover ONLY category.

And everyone is throwing around the term "BOOK"...is it really? To me, a book contains a story: beggining, middle, ending. Ok, so now it's an "Incomplete book" that does STILL retain value.

There's been 19 pages of 'actual grade' versus 'perceived (what if) grade' discussion with a bit of light-hearted, rib-tickling, elbow-nudging, wink-wink good-natured BODY SLAMMING thrown in for good measure. Both sides make valid points. But I believe it comes down to CGC riding the fence with this qualifying nonsense trying to please too many at once; and in this particular case they've stumbled.

Now who wants a piece 0' me!!!!! mad.gifmakepoint.gifmad.gifmakepoint.gifmad.gif

Rick

Eat my shorts, Porkchop. sumo.gif
Blow me '! flowerred.gif

Let's talk about the qualified label.

Thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, I like that idea about having both grades on there.... but I think it should be ".05/6.0'! sumo.gif

Seriously, I do. I still don't agree with the Qualified idea, but that's as good an idea as I've seen so far. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Keep qualified for signatures/names, obtrusive date stamps (wax or pen) on cover.

Create a new label for ALL INCOMPLETES would be the best solution, but until the logistics of that are worked out, if ever....

If a page or coupon/stamp is missing AND it affects the STORY - then deem the book incomplete. In general, if the aforementioned scenario is taken into consideration, whther key or common, then blue label it if it is low grade and green label it if mid to high grade. If it is a common book then value becomes irrelevant and blue or green labelling it will not affect its potential. The dilemma comes when it is a key issue where some folks would possibly want it for parts.

If the missing page/coupon doesn't affect the story, I could accept the gReen Qualified label with the higher grade (would be a X.X if not for...) and graders note re: the flaw

Kill me now... shy.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif