• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified or Crapified?

312 posts in this topic

Needless to say, I'm still waiting.

Go play with Bug, as it's patently obvious you don't hold any other forum members to these standards.

Bug repeats the same "you gave it a 1.8" comment ad infinitum, greggy and co. converse in emoticons, banner leaps in from time to time to give me a shot, and you seem to think I need to improve my level of writing?

Take a look around you, this is wasteland of North America; comic-reading adults!!

I'm going to really muddy the waters here and stop bugging Joe for an Objectivist lecture, and actually join the discussion at hand.

How would a dealer (a good dealer in Joe's world, if that's even possible) describe the issue in question if they were selling it raw? 893whatthe.gif

AF #15 Pr?

AF #15 Looks FN, but missing 10 pages?

Say they were even both priced the same. Is one worse than the other? Is one more ethical?

The fact of the matter is, there are certain realms of the comic collecting hobby where a newbie should not venture, CGC or no CGC. This is one of them.

Alan

Needless to say, I'm still waiting.

Go play with Bug, as it's patently obvious you don't hold any other forum members to these standards.

Bug repeats the same "you gave it a 1.8" comment ad infinitum, greggy and co. converse in emoticons, banner leaps in from time to time to give me a shot, and you seem to think I need to improve my level of writing?

Take a look around you, this is wasteland of North America; comic-reading adults!!

(Sorry, back to the "higher level" Objectivist discussion. Everyone else just move along ... nothing to see here!)

If Bug, Greggy, Banner or any of the other forumites touch on a topic that I am interested in learning more about, I'll ask them about it. And I'll continue to ask them if they avoid answering it.

Seriously, Joe ... your viewpoint of life as a whole is so skewed from the norm that it has genuinely piqued my curiousity. And since I don't feel like slogging through the aforementioned Atlas Shrugged, I thought someone who prescribes to its teachings could at least give me a Cliff's Notes version of it. Ideally, I would like to debate a true-life Objectivist because that's always the best way to figure out a person's perspective, but that can come later.

Right now, just unconfuse me on where you're coming from. Whether or not CGC's grading of this book was correct or not is irrelevant when compared to the bigger picture.

Alan

I tried, but visiting hours were over.

Maybe they'll come back and see you tomorrow.

Bug, if you need any help with the art of humor, please let me know and I'll set up some classes.

I'll give you a free lesson: Humor must be both topical and logical. Now go back re-read your tired attempts above, and I'll mark down the mistakes you made.

1) To have an "invest in CGC" joke work, you've gotta hit someone who's kissing some serious CGC butt. As in banner, FF, yourself and some others. Using Del, Odin or myself as the recipient of the joke is pretty sad.

2) If visiting hours are over, that usually means the people you are going to see are locked up. If someone is going to visit said people, and the "visiting hours are over", that naturally assumes this individual is free to go and visit them, not vice versa,

So hitting someone back with a joke like "Maybe they'll come back and see you tomorrow" makes no sense and means you obviously have no spatial abilities or simply didn't take the time to read the original comment.

Now read these points, study hard and maybe you too can actually make someone laugh. No guarantees, but you will be light years ahead of your current effort.

All valid points, JC... however, you're missing a very important point:

Bug has no point. He doesn't even have an informed opinion on the matter. He's just going to be contrary to anything you say... (It's his special little manner of atoning for all of his previous dink-isms.)

Seriously, Joe ... your viewpoint of life as a whole is so skewed from the norm that it has genuinely piqued my curiousity.

If you think that a book with 10 pages missing equates to any form of a 6.0 grade, then I'm pretty certain who has the skewed viewpoint here.

It's a grift pure and simple, a way for CGC to get more books in, use mystery math to arrive at a grade for a comic that is only partially there, while administering the 0.5 hammer on less-important books.

I really want CGC to answer this:

If I carefully removed the inner 10 pages on a new, off-the-shelf copy of Ultimate Spider-man (keeping the rest of the book in pristine shape), would it come back with a Qualified NM grade?

JC- Is your whole problem the fact that you think a 6.0 green label will sell for more than if it was graded a 0.5 blue label? I'm beginning to think a green label may be even less attractive to most people than a PLOD.

There is a big big difference between the price a 6.0 blue and 6.0 green will bring.

Bug has no point. He doesn't even have an informed opinion on the matter. He's just going to be contrary to anything you say... (It's his special little manner of atoning for all of his previous dink-isms.)

I'm starting to see this pretty clearly. I'm gonna start a few "The Earth is NOT Flat" threads and see what "evidence" he brings to the table to disagree with my opinions.

893naughty-thumb.gif You're still skirting the issue, Joe. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Ummm, please see Bug's responses above for a definition of this term...

He's dancing around likea broken record, spouting the same gibberish, and not even thinking about the topic at hand.

I want to see one sane reason for grading a comic with 10 PAGES missing a 6.0, based on what is left?

You keep puking the same gibberish and moronic responses over and over and then try to accuse others of it. That makes sense.

I'll be glad to give you numerous reasons for grading this book a qualified 6.0 just as soon as you give us one valid reason why you think this book should grade as a straight 1.8 Good-. 27_laughing.gif

He's dancing around likea broken record, spouting the same gibberish, and not even thinking about the topic at hand.

I want to see one sane reason for grading a comic with 10 PAGES missing a 6.0, based on what is left?

You keep puking the same gibberish and moronic responses over and over and then try to accuse others of it. That makes sense.

I'll be glad to give you numerous reasons for grading this book a qualified 6.0 just as soon as you give us one valid reason why you think this book should grade as a straight 1.8 Good-. 27_laughing.gif

See? thumbsup2.gif

What seems odd to me is that someone who doesn't care for the way that CGC does it's business is always compelled to come back to their forum. Do you think it's your moral duty to try to warn people of the evil empire?

I tried, but visiting hours were over.

Maybe they'll come back and see you tomorrow.

Bug, if you need any help with the art of humor, please let me know and I'll set up some classes.

I'll give you a free lesson: Humor must be both topical and logical. Now go back re-read your tired attempts above, and I'll mark down the mistakes you made.

1) To have an "invest in CGC" joke work, you've gotta hit someone who's kissing some serious CGC butt. As in banner, FF, yourself and some others. Using Del, Odin or myself as the recipient of the joke is pretty sad.

2) If visiting hours are over, that usually means the people you are going to see are locked up. If someone is going to visit said people, and the "visiting hours are over", that naturally assumes this individual is free to go and visit them, not vice versa,

So hitting someone back with a joke like "Maybe they'll come back and see you tomorrow" makes no sense and means you obviously have no spatial abilities or simply didn't take the time to read the original comment.

Now read these points, study hard and maybe you too can actually make someone laugh. No guarantees, but you will be light years ahead of your current effort.

All valid points, JC... however, you're missing a very important point:

Can't we get you a little troll mascot uniform to wear? Something in pink and fitted for a lady in the crotch area should fit you nicely.

QUALIFIED sounds more like trying to pass off some junk as brand new.

It's amazing that they can accomplish that with full disclosure about the missing pages right there on a different colored label.

Full disclosure would be to call the book what it really is. A .5 . Not a "could be" 6.0 if it wasn't missing 10 pages.

This is what I believe CGC should of done in this case....

Grade the book .5, note 10 missing pages and note that the remaining pages are in 6.0 condtion. Then that would be full disclosure.

Every time I've looked at a QUALIFIED graded book, I look at it like its a lesser book trying to be passed off as a better book. Not once have I seen a QUALIFIED book that deserves the grade given. I say call it like it is. Don't mask the actual condition with some "WHAT IF" grade. And that in effect is what a QUALIFIED grade is. A "WHAT IF". What if the book wasn't missing 10 pages? 6.0 then? Your guess is as good as mine. But if CGC says the remaining pages are in 6.0 condition, then they probably are. But no way is the book a 6.0 as is. Qualified or not. This has to be a big mistake on CGC's part. They should really re-think the QUALIFIED grading. I don't think QUALFIED grading is helping anyone.

Seriously, Joe ... your viewpoint of life as a whole is so skewed from the norm that it has genuinely piqued my curiousity.

If you think that a book with 10 pages missing equates to any form of a 6.0 grade, then I'm pretty certain who has the skewed viewpoint here.

Can we get a banging head against the wall graemlin in here?

Joe, I don't give a rat's 893censored-thumb.gif about this book or how it was graded. Again, I said I want to know your viewpoint of life. Last time I checked, holding an opinion on the grade of a comic book did not constitute one's life!

For the last time: How do you correlate your black & white view of the world with all of the morally ambiguous problems and issues that seem to pop up on a daily basis? And I'm talking about life in general here, not comic books!

Alan

What seems odd to me is that someone who doesn't care for the way that CGC does it's business is always compelled to come back to their forum. Do you think it's your moral duty to try to warn people of the evil empire?

Says the lad who has taken it upon himself to pledge allegiance to whatever cause is in opposition to JC's. (Granted, that may be all of them...) You need a drink to wash down that bitter irony, Bugling?

So now your'e insulting every "adult" that reads comic books as the "wasteland of North America"? Or are you insinuating that this board is the wasteland? If so, why do you hang out here 24/7 until you decide (yet again) to "...leave the asylum in the hands of the reprobates..." (or whatever other witty analogy you come up with)?

I really want CGC to answer this:

If I carefully removed the inner 10 pages on a new, off-the-shelf copy of Ultimate Spider-man (keeping the rest of the book in pristine shape), would it come back with a Qualified NM grade?

Joe....you keep asking this same assinine question over and over again....and this is the THIRD TIME IT'S BEEN ANSWERED IN HERE.

You said earlier:

"I think the real question should be "What if the 10 pages were missing from a Ultimate Spider-man #22?

CGC 0.5 "

Steve Borock replied:

WRONG, it would receive a Qualified grade to reflect the "look" of the comic book.

Joe.....seriously.....you need to get your money refunded for that lobotomy, because you got hosed.

I'm starting to see this pretty clearly. I'm gonna start a few "The Earth is NOT Flat" threads and see what "evidence" he brings to the table to disagree with my opinions.

This coming from the person that does nothing but spout anti-cgc rhetoric in here on a daily basis......along with his sidekick, Khaos, knealing steadfastly in front of him.

Full disclosure would be to call the book what it really is. A .5 . Not a "could be" 6.0 if it wasn't missing 10 pages.

Grade the book .5, note 10 missing pages and note that the remaining pages are in 6.0 condtion. Then that would be full disclosure.

Every time I've looked at a QUALIFIED graded book, I look at it like its a lesser book trying to be passed off as a better book. Not once have I seen a QUALIFIED book that deserves the grade given. I say call it like it is. Don't mask the actual condition with some "WHAT IF" grade. And that in effect is what a QUALIFIED grade is. A "WHAT IF". What if the book wasn't missing 10 pages? 6.0 then? Your guess is as good as mine. But if CGC says the remaining pages are in 6.0 condition, then they probably are. But no way is the book a 6.0 as is. Qualified or not. This has to be a big mistake on CGC's part. They should really re-think the QUALIFIED grading. I don't think QUALFIED grading is helping anyone.

I hear ya, and providing both grades ("actual" and "qualified"), as well as the notation of defects, would be the best scenario. In any event, I hope you take the time to vote in the "Qualified" Grade Poll and let your voice be heard! At this point, those agreeing with Joe and I are in the majority with the voting standing at 22-13 in favor of the use of the Qualified Grade.

See? thumbsup2.gif

Seriously.....pink.....with mabe the word "troll" on the back. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

QUALIFIED sounds more like trying to pass off some junk as brand new.

It's amazing that they can accomplish that with full disclosure about the missing pages right there on a different colored label.

The whole "point" of the qualified label is that it's not a universal label. It signifies that if not for the defect listed on it, this book would grade at a 6.0. I can see the point you make for calling it a Qualified 6.0 with a stipulation that it would be a 0.5 with the defect factored in. But I think the qualified grade makes much more sense than just slapping this book in a blue label and calling it a 0.5.