• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified or Crapified?

312 posts in this topic

What grade would you give it in its current state?

Overstreet has stated many times that comics with missing panels, ad pages, pin-ups, etc. cannot grade higher than VG.

And...what grade would you give it if we took it, crumpled it up into a ball, took a box cutter and sliced the cover and interior pages up a bit, and then smeared dog all over it?

Ummm, that's why we have VG-, G/VG, G, G-, Fair and Poor.

Overstreet has stated many times that comics with missing panels, ad pages, pin-ups, etc. cannot grade higher than VG.

And...what grade would you give it if we took it, crumpled it up into a ball, took a box cutter and sliced the cover and interior pages up a bit, and then smeared dog all over it?

He was talking about the book that's missing 10 pages. 893naughty-thumb.gif

You would grade it VG in it's present state?? confused.gif

He was talking about the book missing 10 pages. 893naughty-thumb.gif

You would grade it VG in it's present state??

And your point is? Read the above comments once again.

1) comics with missing panels, ad pages, pin-ups, etc. cannot grade higher than VG.

2) that's why we have VG-, G/VG, G, G-, Fair and Poor

1) comics with missing panels, ad pages, pin-ups, etc. cannot grade higher than VG.

My point is.......why don't you answer the question that he asked?

What would you grade it in it's present state???.......and what grade would you give it if we took it, crumpled it up into a ball, took a box cutter and sliced the cover and interior pages up a bit, and then smeared dog all over it???

You're dodging the question. 893naughty-thumb.gif

What would you grade it in it's present state???.......and what grade would you give it if we took it, crumpled it up into a ball, took a box cutter and sliced the cover and interior pages up a bit, and then smeared dog all over it???

1) 1.8 Good-

2) 0.5 - Poor

How can you give a 6.0 to something that's not there? Like I said before, I lost sealed multi-pack books, can CGC give them a Qualified 9.8 - Book Missing slab?

Once you move beyond the "MVS clipped", "Detached Centerfold", "Detached Cover" disclaimers that the Qualified Grade was supposed to address, and into the Twilight Zone of giving Qualified 6.0's to books with 10 PAGES MISSING, then anything is possible.

One other point I found quite amusing upon reflection.

Anyone remember the CGC acolytes on here hammering stckwzrd1 for all his zany auctions where he describes an obviously flawed comic as:

"An easy 9.6 if you disregard the detached cover..."

He's a natural for the CGC Qualified Grading Program.

I can just imagine what banner, donut and the boyz would do to stckwzrd1 if the guy listed this AF 15 as "Fine or better condition, quality mid-grade key... but there are 10 pages missing..."

He'd be hammered all over the boards, but if CGC does it, somehow that makes it better for some fanboys on here.

"What would you grade it in it's present state?"

1) 1.8 Good-

32nd edition of Overstreet Price Guide (don't have the new one or the grading guide)

Good (Gd) (1.8-2.5)

A copy in this grade has all pages and covers, although there may be small pieces missing inside; the largest piece allowed from front or back cover is a 1/2" triangle or a square 1/4" x 1/4". Books in this grade are commonly creased, scuffed, abraded, soiled and may have as much as a 2" spine split, but are still completely readable. Often paper quality is low but not brittle. Cover reflectivity is low and in some cases completely absent. The grade can have a moderate accumulation of defects but still maintains its basic structured integrity.

Has this changed??? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Joe - I suggest you buy a grading guide. Comic books in Good "...have all pages and covers, although there may be small pieces missing...centerfold may be lose or detached." Any book with a missing panel (panels, pin-ups, ad pages, story pages, etc.,.) is not better than Fair.

1) 1.8 Good-

2) 0.5 - Poor

After 5 pages of posts, you finally step up to the plate and answer Supa's question of what you think the grade is on this book, missing 10 pages, and you say it's a "Good-"!?!?!? I'm ROFL on that one!! Sorry bub, but the correct term for this book is "incomplete", which is below poor. I think your grading skills need to be "qualified"! 27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gif

Good (Gd) (1.8-2.5)

A copy in this grade has all pages and covers,

Nope, and it looks like I'm less strict than OS with these freak-show, half-books. But not matter what way you look at it, givng it a CGC 6.0 with any label is outlandish.

It's like the comic book version of Ghost, where Steve faces his destiny and communicates with the lost pages of that AF 15.

Sorry bud, but the correct term for this book is "incomplete", which is below poor. I think your grading skills need to be "qualified"!

Not "bud"........"bub". 893naughty-thumb.gif

You're right, when in Rome...

Good (Gd) (1.8-2.5)

A copy in this grade has all pages and covers,

Nope, and it looks like I'm less strict than OS with these freak-show, half-books. But not matter what way you look at it, givng it a CGC 6.0 with any label is outlandish.

Couldn't one also argue the point that giving a book with 10 pages missing a straight grade of 1.8 Good- is also outlandish? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

After 5 pages of posts, you finally step up to the plate and answer Supa's question of what you think the grade is on this book, missing 10 pages, and you say it's a "Good-"!?!?!? I'm ROFL on that one!! Sorry bud, but the correct term for this book is "incomplete", which is below poor. I think your grading skills need to be "qualified"! 27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gif

You're laughing at me? You're laughing at me?

You are the guy who is so pleased with CGC giving this same half-comic a 6.0 numerical grade on a Qualified label. How in God's grean earth is that better?

If it's a Fair, then give it a Fair.

I was just trying to be nice, but if you think it should be graded a Fair (CGC 0.5) then why all the pandering to CGC?

You're laughing at me? You're laughing at me?

You are the guy who is so pleased with CGC giving this same half-comic a 6.0 numerical grade on a Qualified label. How in God's grean earth is that better?

If it's a Fair, then give it a Fair.

I was just trying to be nice, but if you think it should be graded a Fair (CGC 0.5) then why all the pandering to CGC?

This was the whole point of FF asking the questions:

Technically, both books would be "Poor"......but that doesn't accurately reflect the book in each scenario. CGC reflects that with it's "qualified" grade with a different colored label and gives full disclosure about the book. Seems reasonable to me.

The closest grading category I've found to cover this in the 2002 Grading Guide is one called "Coupon Cut," and the first grade that doesn't say "none allowed" is Fair 1.0. Going back to the 1992 guide, the highest grade that mentions interior pieces are allowed to be missing is GD34 to GD25.

The 2002 OGG also has a defect category called "Readability." For the Fair 1.0 grade, this category says "generally preserved to difficulty"; the grammar seems bad on that but I interpret it to mean that some story elements might be missing but you can still "generally" read the story. For the Poor 0.5 grade, it says "multiple pages missing." The 1992 Guide pretty much jibes with this, saying that in Fair readability is preserved but in Poor it is not.

It's rather clear that this Amazing Fantasy 15 fits both the 1992 and 2002 Overstreet descriptions for Poor.