• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified or Crapified?

312 posts in this topic

That's a foolish statement. "Poor" is "Poor". As it stands, it wouldn't even say that, it would only say "0.5". To call a "0.5" a "6.0" because the COVER is nice is misleading in the extreme.

Give the full disclosure for why it gets a "0.5"... but don't polish that turd and try to tell me that it's better than it actually is because it's "Qualified." Poor is Poor. Deal with it.

Who's trying to tell you it's better than it actually is? They gave it a Qualified lable (not Universal) and stated that 10 pages were missing. The cover and the rest of the book, including the complete Spider-Man story, are in 6.0 condition. That seems to offer FAR more information about the book than simply slapping it in a Universal label 0.5 holder, even if it did mention that 10 pages were missing. That would tell absolutely nothing about the condition of the incomplete book that is there. Why not tell what the apparent condition of the incomplete book is with a qualified label and full disclosure and let people decide for themselves?

Bug, if the book is missing TEN PAGES... if TEN PAGES are TORN or CUT OUT from the book, then it is in POOR condition. That IS the condition. "Poor." The rest of the book is virtually irrelevant as that is about as severe a defect as a book can have. Again, you all are missing the point: Comics are for READING.

A "Qualified" grade is absurd. Where does it stop? How does one decide what deserves to be "Qualified" and what doesn't? This copy of X-Men #1 that I have would be VF+ if some schmoe hadn't set his coffee mug on it and left a big brown ring on it... should that be "Qualified"?

Why do we need a special label and grade? Put on the label "Poor: 10 pages missing" (and for the acutely retarded: "AFFECTS STORY"). Why the special grade? Just for specs and grins? Why the special label color? Just a failed attempt to make an otherwise unsellable book more marketable? (Note: a "FAILED attempt")

And why does CGC care if a book sells after they grade it? Because if their graded books sell, then what are you going to do? HAVE MORE GRADED so YOU CAN SELL MORE! That's why they care, !

That's a foolish statement. "Poor" is "Poor". As it stands, it wouldn't even say that, it would only say "0.5". To call a "0.5" a "6.0" because the COVER is nice is misleading in the extreme.

Give the full disclosure for why it gets a "0.5"... but don't polish that turd and try to tell me that it's better than it actually is because it's "Qualified." Poor is Poor. Deal with it.

Who's trying to tell you it's better than it actually is? They gave it a Qualified lable (not Universal) and stated that 10 pages were missing. The cover and the rest of the book, including the complete Spider-Man story, are in 6.0 condition. That seems to offer FAR more information about the book than simply slapping it in a Universal label 0.5 holder, even if it did mention that 10 pages were missing. That would tell absolutely nothing about the condition of the incomplete book that is there. Why not tell what the apparent condition of the incomplete book is with a qualified label and full disclosure and let people decide for themselves?

Bug, if the book is missing TEN PAGES... if TEN PAGES are TORN or CUT OUT from the book, then it is in POOR condition. That IS the condition. "Poor." The rest of the book is virtually irrelevant as that is about as severe a defect as a book can have. Again, you all are missing the point: Comics are for READING.

A "Qualified" grade is absurd. Where does it stop? How does one decide what deserves to be "Qualified" and what doesn't? This copy of X-Men #1 that I have would be VF+ if some schmoe hadn't set his coffee mug on it and left a big brown ring on it... should that be "Qualified"?

Why do we need a special label and grade? Put on the label "Poor: 10 pages missing" (and for the acutely retarded: "AFFECTS STORY"). Why the special grade? Just for specs and grins? Why the special label color? Just a failed attempt to make an otherwise unsellable book more marketable? (Note: a "FAILED attempt")

And why does CGC care if a book sells after they grade it? Because if their graded books sell, then what are you going to do? HAVE MORE GRADED so YOU CAN SELL MORE! That's why they care, !

I get it.

You don't like the QUALIFIED label. tongue.gif

What remains of the book is in 6.0 condition. That's why the qualified label was created. I know you naysayers will scream until your lungs bleed that it's only about the bottom line.....but this book in this condition seems to be more desirable to many people than an equally graded 0.5 copy that has a split cover, mildew, brittleness, varnish and oil stains, AND pages missing. Defects which are ALL allowed "in quantity" in poor grade. I know which copy I'd prefer if given a choice.

It wouldn't make sense to put a "Poor" label on the book and then specify "10 pages missing". That still wouldn't tell about the condition of the rest of the book and provide vital information to people that are obviously interested in a nice copy of this book regardless of the missing pages. That would be providing LESS information......NOT more.

And what's the point of your last paragraph? So what? We all know CGC is a business. People are SUPPOSED to have confidence in CGC grades and want to buy CGC books. That's sort of the whole point. Hello......is this microphone even on?

What remains of the book is in 6.0 condition. That's why the qualified label was created. I know you naysayers will scream until your lungs bleed that it's only about the bottom line.....but this book in this condition seems to be more desirable to many people than an equally graded 0.5 copy that has a split cover, mildew, brittleness, varnish and oil stains, AND pages missing. Defects which are ALL allowed "in quantity" in poor grade. I know which copy I'd prefer if given a choice.

It wouldn't make sense to put a "Poor" label on the book and then specify "10 pages missing". That still wouldn't tell about the condition of the rest of the book and provide vital information to people that are obviously interested in a nice copy of this book regardless of the missing pages. That would be providing LESS information......NOT more.

And what's the point of your last paragraph? So what? We all know CGC is a business. People are SUPPOSED to have confidence in CGC grades and want to buy CGC books. That's sort of the whole point. Hello......is this microphone even on?

I'm hearing you Bug..... makepoint.gif

Qualified label allows a person who is looking for a nice looking book to buy it at a large discount so they can have their favorite cover or one that they remember from a childhood. If there was no such thing, and everything was just tossed into a pit between .5 and 2.0, they'd have to run through ALL the auctions to see if there's one with the look of, for example, a 6.0

Not saying I do that, or that EVERYONE does that. Just saying that's one of the aspects of the qualified label that I could see as justified.

Brian

Another reason might be that someone is looking for nice parts to piece together a decent copy. If someone had a nice coverless interior for this AF#15, then this might be the book for them to create a much nicer copy than they could afford otherwise.

Same thing if someone has a copy that's missing the cover and maybe the first few wraps of the interior. Another scenario where people might be interested in a qualified 6.0 when they wouldn't otherwise give a 0.5 blue label copy a second glance.

confused-smiley-013.gif where's my Qualified?

Hint: It's not an AF #15...

I think it's pretty obvious the only person this Qualified 6.0 grade helps is the submitter/seller. Maybe he paid a ton for the incomplete book and cried to CGC?

That's pretty obvious, but there's another angle that keeps coming up. Before CGC, dealers paid big bucks for some comics that may not be up to CGC's new standards for whatever reason. So they get the Qualified grade as a side bonus.

It's similar to Overstreet allowing foxing/fungus growth on comics up to NM, as there are many Golden Age pedigrees that were paid $$$ for, and no one wants to hurt the dealers who want to resell them.

It's pretty obvious you are missing the following point:

INCOMPLETE, POS BOOKS WITH 10 PAGES MISSING SHOULD NOT EVEN BE IN CGC SLABS!!!