• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what defect on a mid-grade comic do you find MOST annoying?

51 posts in this topic

Personally I find the subscription crease to be the defect that annoys me most on mid-grade silver age comics. I just hate it.

I would rather have minor writing on cover, or a spine split, or a small piece of the back cover missing......... but I cannot stand looking at subscription creases for some reason. I always look to replace those copies as soon as another one comes along.

What about you?

Besides the obvious major defects like pieces of the cover missing, is there one type of defect that you just hate?

Not fond of the subscription crease either, makes it harder to read the book and you are reminded of it on every page. If there's a large piece out of the cover...once you start reading it, you think about the story and not about the cover...but sub creases :pullhair:

I also hate it when people sell books with descriptions like "Solid books, nice color, F to F+ but with a sub crease".... subscription crease always = VG :makepoint:

Browning. Doesn't matter how structurally preserved a book is, it still looks near death when it's toasted like an old newspaper left too long in a hot garage.

Ditto on Fazy's comments on tanning/ageing and musty smell ..

There seems to be no premium or attention attached to nicely preserved "fresh"books with nice quality (supple) paper that have the ususal handling defects (dog ears, small tears, spine wear/creasing) and those having the same flaws with old reaking, tanning covers/pages. Guess thats why some call books "average, used VG" versus "nice VG" copies ..

Rodent nibbles...yuck...bug scat...ewwww.

Moisture damage (warping and stains, not so much the rusty staples)

Detached cover. (Not so much the centerfold. One popped staple is OK.)

Used book store stamps, (I'm looking at you, Bonnett's)

Full cover color breaks. (One white line all the way up and down.)

Date stamps, (Right in the face, argh.)

Re-pricing in grease pencil, re-price stickers, (I'm looking at you Zayre's)

Bad wrap.

I love it when some kid has written their full name neatly somewhere inobtrusively.

Or creatively doodled over the art in the book, creating their version of "Evil Superman".

Plus adding their own snarky dialogue. Perhaps filling out a coupon hilariously.

popped staple.

+1

+2

especially on an otherwise VF/NM ish book. doubly especially when the seller fails to inform you of same prior to the purchase