• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your all-time favorite Neal Adams Covers?

2,344 posts in this topic

Nice books!

Looking at the auction results, it appears that there is some weakness in the Adams' Batman/Detective market right now. I was tempted to go after a few of the books myself (especially the Bats #237) since the prices on some of the issues were much lower than what I received for my own copies last year. Is this a sign of the economic times, or that most of the Adams collectors have already filled their runs?

Nice books!

Looking at the auction results, it appears that there is some weakness in the Adams' Batman/Detective market right now. I was tempted to go after a few of the books myself (especially the Bats #237) since the prices on some of the issues were much lower than what I received for my own copies last year. Is this a sign of the economic times, or that most of the Adams collectors have already filled their runs?

I have been wondering about that market myself. I am currently leaning toward the economy being more of a factor if only because I have seen some "fairly" priced Neal A. books sitting for quite a while.

Nice books!

I have been wondering about that market myself. I am currently leaning toward the economy being more of a factor if only because I have seen some "fairly" priced Neal A. books sitting for quite a while.

where are they sitting? I'll go look at them. I've been known to collect an Adams cover here and there.

Nice books!

where are they sitting? I'll go look at them. I've been known to collect an Adams cover here and there.

Look around, but I believe they are sitting on their asses.

Nice books!

I just found one and bought it... :gossip:

Nice books!

(thumbs u Congrats! Honestly, it does take some looking around, timing (e.g. finding a listing whose price has been lowered before the other guy does), etc., ect., and you can find a "fairly" priced Neal A. book as I am certain you know better than I. "Fairly priced," of course, being a relative term based on the individual's finances for one thing. Anyway, congrats again and post a scan of the book when you are able.

Best!

Nice books!

(thumbs u Congrats! Honestly, it does take some looking around, timing (e.g. finding a listing whose price has been lowered before the other guy does), etc., ect., and you can find a "fairly" priced Neal A. book as I am certain you know better than I. "Fairly priced," of course, being a relative term based on the individual's finances for one thing. Anyway, congrats again and post a scan of the book when you are able.

Best!

I'll post it when in hand, a superstition I have.

When I first read your post, I actually thought you had some to sell. I re-read it after your post and can't figure out how I got lost, but oh well.

Yes, there are Adams books to be had if you look hard enough. I have bought two recently off of CLink and can't wait to show them. One was under priced, the other....maybe a tad high.

Nice Supes, Gernblaston. I have not followed the Adams' Superman market for a while, but a couple of years back they were dirt cheap compared to the Batmans/Tecs/GLs IMHO. This struck me as odd since the artwork is the same, and Supes is a top tier character.

Close, but according to GPA the all time high was $510 for a 9.4 copy way back in 2002. Another 9.4 sold for $500 in 2006, and there was a copy that fetched $490 in March of last year. Prices are all over the place on #233.

Nice Supes, Gernblaston. I have not followed the Adams' Superman market for a while, but a couple of years back they were dirt cheap compared to the Batmans/Tecs/GLs IMHO. This struck me as odd since the artwork is the same, and Supes is a top tier character.

Good observation.

My guess for the price difference in Adams' work on Supes as compared to Batman/Tec/GL is due to the impact that he had on the other titles. His work on GL, along with Denny O'Neil, was a real change for that title. Neal's work on Batman, I think, was somewhat of a defining moment for the Bronze age and most definitely rescued Batman from the Silver Age malaise :(

His work on Superman, while beautiful to behold (see Gernblanston's copies above as a great example of this), just doesn't have the same impact for me (and I'm a huge fan of DC, Superman, and Neal Adams). In only a few instances can I find something that really stands out. I will pay more for Adams' Superman covers, but not a lot more. However for Batman, I will pay a LOT more for Adam's work.

2c