• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: The Office

52 posts in this topic

Love the US Office. Haven't watched the British version. One of these days I'll get around to it. I almost never rent movies though, so it might prove difficult. Will be especially tough to get the woman to Netflix it seeing as she hates the US version (says it's too stupid) and doesn't like/get British humor. :(

Anybody have a copy I can borrow? :grin:

Watch the real Office. The original BBC show. (thumbs u

There is only one Office - the British one :sumo:

The Brits do make some good sitcoms. :thumbsup: I enjoy Coupling. It's a much better version of Friends than Friends ever was.

Both versions are great, and at first I liked the British one better. But over the past 2 years the US version is hands down my favorite "sitcom" ever. I know it's not hip to say (It's like saying you like Green Day over the Ramones) but I like the newer US version better now (yeah, I know the Ramones are from the US, maybe I should have said The Clash).

William

The UK version is hard to understand. Dang, I need to learn English.

I watched the British version with the subtitles on. It makes it easier to pick up on the slang and the things that may otherwise slide by. (thumbs u

Overall, the America version is quite good, but it's been dumbed down a bit IMO to make it more friendly to the "lowest common denominator" type crowd. The US version retains some of the edge of the UK version, but not a lot.

The British version is more dark and sardonic. Yes, the characters are more real and less "Hollywood" as someone else stated. David Brent (aka Michael Scott) is more likely to induce cringing and an uncomfortable chuckle than a belly laugh. That type of uncomfortable humor does not set well with the 30 million hairdressers and soccer moms who prefer formulaic pablum like Friends.

The UK version is hard to understand. Dang, I need to learn English.

I watched the British version with the subtitles on. It makes it easier to pick up on the slang and the things that may otherwise slide by. (thumbs u

Me too, and also, the DVD (1st or 2nd season, I forget which) comes with an 'English-to-English dictionary'. I do like the US version, too, based on the few episodes I've seen, but it is a different type of humor.

The British version is more dark and sardonic. Yes, the characters are more real and less "Hollywood" as someone else stated. David Brent (aka Michael Scott) is more likely to induce cringing and an uncomfortable chuckle than a belly laugh.

Especially in the 2nd season, when he really starts losing his grip. You feel so bad for him, you almost can't watch.

That type of uncomfortable humor does not set well with the 30 million hairdressers and soccer moms who prefer formulaic pablum like Friends.

Thank you. I thought I was the only person in America who despised 'Friends'.

English subtitles on a show in English? lol

Like the typical Londoner got everything that came oozing out from Rab C Nesbit... (shrug)

I loved the original BBC series, rank it with Fawlty Towers and the second Blackadder series as the best thing ever on TV and I really wanted to hate the US version.

But I must admit I love it to bits as well, the first series was the weakest, due to them trying to adapt the original scripts, but when the leash on the series was loosened it became a really funny show. I think Steve Carrel does a wonderful job and most of the second stringers are in fact more fleshed out than in the original series.

It's better not to compare both shows as they are both different beasts, but both work

The Brits do make some good sitcoms. :thumbsup: I enjoy Coupling. It's a much better version of Friends than Friends ever was.

Never seen 'Coupling', but I love British comedy as well. 'Allo Allo' is a great show that sometimes tried too hard and beat the same jokes to death, but when it's hitting on all cylinders, it's probably the pee-your-pants funniest thing I've ever seen on TV. 'Red Dwarf', too, always cracks me up - even my wife kinda likes it.

"I have your medical results, unfortunately I have to allow for the fact that you cheated on your eye exam."

"Well, I admit I might have taken a peek, Kryten, but I'm a competitive man, always have been. That's what's made me what I am today."

"We're all perfectly well aware of what you are, sir."

English subtitles on a show in English? lol

Some characters seemed to mumble alot and the enunciation was not really clear... (Finchy babbling to Brent for instance) makes it especially difficult when they are using unfamiliar slang terms.

With the subtitles I found that I didn't have to replay certain scenes to "catch" what they said.

That type of uncomfortable humor does not set well with the 30 million hairdressers and soccer moms who prefer formulaic pablum like Friends.

It's you and me against 249,999,998, buddy. :grin:

I watch the American version, and love it too. I have a dry enough sense of humor that I'm pretty sure I'll take to the British version as well--and I'm usually such a purist about these things, that it's odd I haven't yet--but just haven't gotten around to checking it out.

Steve Carell is terrific in the boss role. I've seen bits of the British one and I can understand why people prefer the subtlety of the David Brent character--but for me Steve Carell really nails the very "American" personality of the dim-bulb middle manager who has been promoted past much more competent people, and who thinks he is everyone's best friend when he's really a laughingstock. He reminds me eerily of a guy I worked for when I was right out of college. The supporting cast of the American version is terrific, too--they are really developing it well, and mining a lot of humor from the various personality types.

It's you and me against 249,999,998, buddy. :grin:

Make that 249,999,997.

Has Extra's made it over the pond yet ?

I like both versions of the show, as well as Extras. All of it lol funny.

Has Extra's made it over the pond yet ?

I like both versions of the show, as well as Extras. All of it lol funny.

I agree. Extras is great too, I hope we get a third season. Ricky Gervais could peel a grapefruit and it would crack me up.