• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is FF # 2 a Silver age "Key" book ?

57 posts in this topic

I agree - The fact that they are the first and last FF 10-centers and the only two costumeless FF books makes them both SA keys in my mind, Skrull or no Skrull!

(....and for djpinkpanther67 to consider all FF's 1 thru 12 as keys is perfect, since that's exactly my run of early FF's !!)

FISH

Early Kirby FFs are all Keys and desirable...esp. #'s 1-13...#2 isn't a key in the sense like #1,4,5-which have origins and major 1st appearances of major FF villains that would continue in the run of the title.....but #2 is still EARLY and is the 2nd App. of the FF (last non costume book), and last 10 center....

Skrulls=MAJOR VILLIANS IMO

Early Kirby FFs are all Keys and desirable...esp. #'s 1-13...#2 isn't a key in the sense like #1,4,5-which have origins and major 1st appearances of major FF villains that would continue in the run of the title.....but #2 is still EARLY and is the 2nd App. of the FF (last non costume book), and last 10 center....

i think this summarizes the case for "Keyness" quite well............

I, on the other hand, don't think of it, as such. even though i bought them all off the rack, number's 1 and 2 will always appear a bit amateurish looking to me. not quite superhero looking and not as cool looking as most of the pre-hero marvels up til that time. it wasn't until the 3d issue that things really got underway. and what can you say about #'s 4 & 5, except the Marvel age was underway...... :acclaim:

Bump

I always considered FF2 as a key. Ditto to everything PrimeTime said about FF2 as part of early Kirby repertoire. It is the second Marvel SA hero book, the skrulls were and still remain significant villain in the Marvel Universe as recent as a few months ago (Kieron has them in new Iron Man).

Part of a the def of a "key" is price/demand. FF2 is about $2k for a nice higher mid-grade copy (not cheap) and I have seen g/vg copies fetch 700-800. The pocket book votes would suggest FF2 as important and more $$ than issue 3 or 4.

People consider Avg 54/55 or IM 55 a key for a 1ap of Villian. Using that premise, I think Skrulls are way beyond significance of Ultron or Thanos. Now, if a new FF movie was to have Skrulls, I think that would push the price a little, but only because FF2 is tough to locate and already more $$ than most can afford, so I doubt you would get the price run up as on cheaper and common issues like Avg54/55.

When I resumed collecting back issues after a several year hiatus, FF2 was on my top 5 want list and took about a year to locate nice mid-grade @ guide.

Part of a the def of a "key" is price/demand.

Pet peeve alert!!!

"Key" means important, not desirable or expensive. Oxygen is key to our survival, but it has nothing to do with price. The death of the Waynes is key to Batman's creation, because without it Batman would never have come to be. A "key" comic is one that is important, either because of something in the story (a new plot point, a new character, whatever) or something with the comic itself (first artist on his signature character, first issue from a publisher, classic cover, etc.).

If a comic is valuable and becomes worthless, or vice versa, it has zero effect on its "keyness."

Pet peeve alert!!!

"Key" means important, not desirable or expensive. Oxygen is key to our survival, but it has nothing to do with price. The death of the Waynes is key to Batman's creation, because without it Batman would never have come to be. A "key" comic is one that is important, either because of something in the story (a new plot point, a new character, whatever) or something with the comic itself (first artist on his signature character, first issue from a publisher, classic cover, etc.).

If a comic is valuable and becomes worthless, or vice versa, it has zero effect on its "keyness."

+1

Pet peeve alert!!!

+1

-1 :baiting:

Sorry couldnt resist.

So your criteria doesnt have any room for "demand" or "desirability" as far as the degree or "keyness" of a "key" ie from "mega to the minor"? Is this along the lines of popular convention or direct from Overstreet? I personally am not hard line on this, as I think FF#2 is a key just on other criteria alone, but seems you should not dismiss this element. I was pointing out that even if it is a minor key, enough people appreciate it as "key" at some level is evident by its high price tag. Avg 55 could be argued to be a key prior in 2012, but no one cared and to your point, its value was not why it was a key. I think my post was trying to substantiate the pecking order of FF2 against the other early FFs. Ie.. FF3 has costumes, but 2 has Skrulls. Who is to say which is more important? They both have elements to mark them as keys. Any way my 2cents.

Pet peeve alert!!!

+1

Sorry couldnt resist.

So your criteria doesnt have any room for "demand" or "desirability" as far as the degree or "keyness" of a "key" ie from "mega to the minor"? Is this along the lines of popular convention or direct from Overstreet? I personally am not hard line on this, as I think FF#2 is a key just on other criteria alone, but seems you should not dismiss this element. I was pointing out that even if it is a minor key, enough people appreciate it as "key" at some level is evident by its high price tag. Avg 55 could be argued to be a key prior in 2012, but no one cared and to your point, its value was not why it was a key. I think my post was trying to substantiate the pecking order of FF2 against the other early FFs. Ie.. FF3 has costumes, but 2 has Skrulls. Who is to say which is more important? They both have elements to mark them as keys. Any way my 2cents.

Sure, there's often a correlation between price and "keyness," but no causation in that direction.

Pet peeve alert!!!

+1

Sorry couldnt resist.

Sure, there's often a correlation between price and "keyness," but no causation in that direction.

Yes, demand or desirability can imo be part of the criteria that makes a book a key. But I think that the first criteria that makes a book a key is the importance of the book itself as Speedy-D stated earlier.

The Skrulls are a major villain throughout the Marvel universe, constantly used in various titles for myriad reasons. Definitely a "key", probably along the lines of the 1st Kang or the 1st Watcher...not major, but definitely fits the definition.

IMO!

Dan

FF 2 is the kind of key issue that connects #1 (major key) to #3 (less major key) and all subsequent stories, key or otherwise, that follow...

ff2.jpg

FF 2 is the kind of key issue that connects #1 (major key) to #3 (less major key) and all subsequent stories, key or otherwise, that follow...

ff2.jpg

..... this is cheating, Rich...... as ALL Curator copies, no matter what the issue, are keys. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u