• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DETECTIVE COMICS #27 found in attic

1,415 posts in this topic

Should the book ever be found to have been trimmed, it would indeed be dark publicity for the hobby, and news of the Det27 scam would surely be spread in the same massive way as its "find" is currently.

No way.

General news outlets are only in the business of posting these wild "found in attic" stories that appeal to their slope-headed readers, and if the book came back restored, it wouldn't even register, and the (cough) reporter would move on to the next "grandmother finds Picasso in yard sale" BS.

"Eide said if the book comes back and the grade says it has been restored, than McDevitt would have to pay him $1,000, and if the book comes back with a universal rating that it has been untouched, then Eide would pay McDevitt $1,000, which incidentally is the cost to have it graded."

Isnt $1,000.00 excessive cost for grading?

Yes.

2.5% of FMV indicates that a $1k fee would give a book worth $40k

Was it bought for $40k if so that is a restored price.

If unrestored cost would be much higher.

I believe it is capped at $1000 base on this from the fees and services page:

F.M.V. (Fair Market Value). Minimum Charge per book $110.00, Maximum charge per book $1000.00

http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/tab3.cfm?newsid=18904487&BRD=2280&PAG=461&dept_id=621559&rfi=6

This was posted in the Golden Age Forum. Definitely a Good read with more info about the book.

It's actually shocking that the mainstream media wrote a story that actually delved into the details of comic book restoration.

99% of the time it would be, "Bang ZOOM! Super Valuable Comic Found in Attic," then on to the next story.

I think whoever wrote the article already knew something about comics. Just FYI, I don't think that's the last paper who's going to interview Eide's -- nor do I think that people who know both stores are going to be giving Todd more credibility in resto detection than Eide's.

I should check my dorm attack and see if there are any nice tec 27s up there. Who knows?

You're in college and you spell attic "attack"??? doh! doh!

(that's a double-doh!)

Apparently spelling is his Achilles heel. ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I should check my dorm attack and see if there are any nice tec 27s up there. Who knows?

You're in college and you spell attic "attack"??? doh! doh!

(that's a double-doh!)

Apparently spelling is his Achilles heel. ;)

doh!

I don't think CGC would want to do anything to intentionally bring negative publicity to the hobby. :gossip:

We are supposed to look the other way because of publicity? (shrug) You are familiar with our PR record, right? lol

Look, if it is trimmed, it is trimmed. Apparent Label.

If it is not, it is not. Universal Label

(provided nothing else is done; unless it is that something deemed minor by CGC standards for a GA book-- no, I can't post those guidelines, so let's not go there & yes whatever is done would be put on the Universal Label.)

It is clear cut for CGC. (shrug)

I don't think CGC would want to do anything to intentionally bring negative publicity to the hobby. :gossip:

We are supposed to look the other way because of publicity? (shrug) You are familiar with our PR record, right? lol

(provided nothing else is done; unless it is that something deemed minor by CGC standards for a GA book-- no, I can't post those guidelines, so let's not go there & yes whatever is done would be put on the Universal Label.)

Which is precisely why a book like this ought to be graded and looked at. CGC will look at it not just for trimming but for other resto... and if it is in a Universal label, the book will only increase in value. It will also dispel any negative publicity and questions any buyer may have. Not only that, it is the best insurance policy Todd can make on the book at this time.

Bottom line, as I've said before, this is what CGC exists for to me.

if it is in fact trimmed, i wonder who trimmed it, when they trimmed it and why they trimmed it.

why would someone in today’s market with CGC resto check take such a huge risk by trimming the book, only to remove probably minor defects.

unless it had been trimmed years ago.

And the longer Todd goes without getting it checked by CGC the less chance there is of getting any restitution if warranted. Then again, there may be little chance of getting any money back anyway.

Ed

hello all...

as someone who has owned multiple copies of Detective 27 just in the last 6 months, I have a question...what is the basis for the book being trimmed?, that the Bob kane is cut off the bottom?

DC miscut tec 27 covers on a regular basis in 1939 (vertical miscuts, meaning top to bottom, not spine to right edge). In the last year, I have owned a copy with the full Bob Kane "sig" at the bottom, and one that was miscut just as this one (with more yellow at the top, and part of the BK sig cut off). Neither was trimmed.

Or, are we talking a spine to right edge trim, which you would need an expert to determine (not just sizing up against another same era comic)

gator

I think the comment was more around whether CGC would publicize what type of label they had placed on the book. Last time I had a book graded there wasn't an announcement in the paper.

And the longer Todd goes without getting it checked by CGC the less chance there is of getting any restitution if warranted. Then again, there may be little chance of getting any money back anyway.

Ed

Seems like hiring a lawyer and placing the payment in escrow pending a professional resto check would have been a wise idea.

As I read Todd's quotes, it's sounding as if he is whistling past the graveyard.

Even if it is trimmed, what's do we think a value is? Say it is a 5.0 restored - what kind of dollar value does a Detective 27 have in that case?

$40,000 range, max

gator

:whatthe:

you mean, you don't just wing it?

the idea that this book was determined to be trimmed merely by dint of its size bothers me. of course, that's the only reason given, possibly due to space constraints, but that just doesn't seem adequate to me, unless the book significantly smaller than it should be

if it is in fact trimmed, i wonder who trimmed it, when they trimmed it and why they trimmed it.

why would someone in today’s market with CGC resto check take such a huge risk by trimming the book, only to remove probably minor defects.

unless it had been trimmed years ago.

It probably was trimmed years ago (if it was) before trimming was more closely examined and it could pass without too much thought.

Poor 'Tec 27. Unless there were chips missing from the cover, I doubt the trimming even covered up much :(