• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DETECTIVE COMICS #27 found in attic

1,415 posts in this topic

I don't think CGC would want to do anything to intentionally bring negative publicity to the hobby. :gossip:

We are supposed to look the other way because of publicity? (shrug) You are familiar with our PR record, right? lol

Look, if it is trimmed, it is trimmed. Apparent Label.

If it is not, it is not. Universal Label

(provided nothing else is done; unless it is that something deemed minor by CGC standards for a GA book-- no, I can't post those guidelines, so let's not go there & yes whatever is done would be put on the Universal Label.)

It is clear cut for CGC. (shrug)

I think the comment was more around whether CGC would publicize what type of label they had placed on the book. Last time I had a book graded there wasn't an announcement in the paper.

Adam is correct. I wasn`t implying that CGC would not identify trimming if they found it. I was just saying they wouldn`t publicize it in the way they might publicize the slabbing of a universal 9.4 Tec 27.

For all future clarifications of any of my statements on these boards, please direct all inquiries to my press agents Adamstrange or Scrooge. Thank you. :cool:

I don't think CGC would want to do anything to intentionally bring negative publicity to the hobby. :gossip:

We are supposed to look the other way because of publicity? (shrug) You are familiar with our PR record, right? lol

(provided nothing else is done; unless it is that something deemed minor by CGC standards for a GA book-- no, I can't post those guidelines, so let's not go there & yes whatever is done would be put on the Universal Label.)

I think the comment was more around whether CGC would publicize what type of label they had placed on the book. Last time I had a book graded there wasn't an announcement in the paper.

Adam is correct. I wasn`t implying that CGC would not identify trimming if they found it. I was just saying they wouldn`t publicize it in the way they might publicize the slabbing of a universal 9.4 Tec 27.

For all future clarifications of any of my statements on these boards, please direct all inquiries to my press agents Adamstrange or Scrooge. Thank you. :cool:

Press Agent, now? And last week I was just a toadie.

hello all...

as someone who has owned multiple copies of Detective 27 just in the last 6 months, I have a question...what is the basis for the book being trimmed?, that the Bob kane is cut off the bottom?

DC miscut tec 27 covers on a regular basis in 1939 (vertical miscuts, meaning top to bottom, not spine to right edge). In the last year, I have owned a copy with the full Bob Kane "sig" at the bottom, and one that was miscut just as this one (with more yellow at the top, and part of the BK sig cut off). Neither was trimmed.

Or, are we talking a spine to right edge trim, which you would need an expert to determine (not just sizing up against another same era comic)

gator

Good question. I think what it boils down to, is that this book was supposedly inspected by Eide's before being shopped to Todd. They felt they could detect trimming on the book when they inspected it first hand. Not sure of all the reasons they felt his way, but they also felt it might have "other" things done to it as well.

Todd obviously feels differently.

As I understand it, they have even offered $1,000 to Todd if he grades it and it doesn't come back restored, so whatever their reason, they feel very confident in it.

I don't believe any of us has inspected the book first hand and I know that I cannot tell anything from the scan, so most of the chatter here is just speculation back and forth from the heresay of those who have seen the book.

A good resolution would be CGC getting a look at the book.

Press Agent, now? And last week I was just a toadie.

I guess Michael didn`t send you the memo. You`ve been promoted. :golfclap:

So is everyone here more or less agreed that the "found in the attic" story used by the original seller is probably BS? I agree with joecollector that the resto/trim factor won't effect the value of the publicity generated, but if it turns out that the critical "oh, wow!" element of the story itself is really just a hoax...that might not be good...

As I read Todd's quotes, it's sounding as if he is whistling past the graveyard.

The more I read his quotes, the more it sounds like he knew exactly what he was getting into, figuring the value of fame and publicity and then having the residual value of a book that would eventually be labeled restored. Either that, or he's the biggest chump the hobby has seen in ages. :eek:

As I read Todd's quotes, it's sounding as if he is whistling past the graveyard.

The more I read his quotes, the more it sounds like he knew exactly what he was getting into, figuring the value of fame and publicity and then having the residual value of a book that would eventually be labeled restored. Either that, or he's the biggest chump the hobby has seen in ages. :eek:

Like I said earlier...

eggonface.gif

So is everyone here more or less agreed that the "found in the attic" story used by the original seller is probably BS? I agree with joecollector that the resto/trim factor won't effect the value of the publicity generated, but if it turns out that the "oh, wow!" element of story itself is really just a hoax...that might not be good...

The NDC store in the mall near me almost always has little or no traffic, and there's not much in that store that interests me. I can't speak for the other stores as I've never been there.

I think Todd is into the book to $100k +

Sounds like he may not have gotten the name and number of the original seller. Not sure about that.

Additionally, the trim likely would have been done years ago -- agree bottom edge is not the trimmed edge, and Eide's did not identify that edge as being the only trimmed edge.

He seemed pretty happy in the video clip.....I wonder if he'll post up another clip down the road if the book ever gets CGC'd.

I hope for him it isn't trimmed and Eides is wrong, but where there's smoke

Sounds like he may not have gotten the name and number of the original seller. Not sure about that.

I cannot imagine him not getting their info, I mean there is no possible way in h-e- double hockey sticks he could not have asked their info on such a large transaction with so much at stake.... is there?

What makes you think that he didn't?

Ze-

Does anybody want to take a stab at the actual publicity value here? Someone said $50,000 but I

thing that was just throwing a figure out there. Now it would probably cost well more than $50,000 for this kind of coverage but I'm not so sure it's worth $50,000. It's not like having this one book and the publicity will make ND a major GA player or something. So not much benefit there. It seems to me that the big benefit is to him locally, from the local media. Remember the That's Entertainment blog from the guy in Worcester? He mentioned how back in the 80s he bought a Captain America #1 and immediately called the local papers and that paid off in a lot of new customers and collections. So I see a local benefit, for sure. But comics are more specialized these days, it seems. Ie, in the 80s more people cared. Running a store was more lucrative, I think. Conventions were a bigger deal too. There are lots of internet buyers but it's hard to get a good local concentration for your store or con.

I am very impressed at the amazing coverage this has gotten and the good news is that it will probably turn up hundreds of 10-cent hoards out of attics and basements and closets around the country. There probably won't be any monster books in there but it's like a reminder to go through your house and get the comics into the marketplace, which is what we all want.

Marc

Additionally, the trim likely would have been done years ago -- agree bottom edge is not the trimmed edge, and Eide's did not identify that edge as being the only trimmed edge.

Who'd he make the check out to? "Cash."

lol

Who'd he make the check out to? "Cash."

lol

Who said it was a check?

Does anybody want to take a stab at the actual publicity value here? Someone said $50,000 but I

thing that was just throwing a figure out there. Now it would probably cost well more than $50,000 for this kind of coverage but I'm not so sure it's worth $50,000. It's not like having this one book and the publicity will make ND a major GA player or something. So not much benefit there. It seems to me that the big benefit is to him locally, from the local media. Remember the That's Entertainment blog from the guy in Worcester? He mentioned how back in the 80s he bought a Captain America #1 and immediately called the local papers and that paid off in a lot of new customers and collections. So I see a local benefit, for sure. But comics are more specialized these days, it seems. Ie, in the 80s more people cared. Running a store was more lucrative, I think. Conventions were a bigger deal too. There are lots of internet buyers but it's hard to get a good local concentration for your store or con.

I am very impressed at the amazing coverage this has gotten and the good news is that it will probably turn up hundreds of 10-cent hoards out of attics and basements and closets around the country. There probably won't be any monster books in there but it's like a reminder to go through your house and get the comics into the marketplace, which is what we all want.

Marc

if it turns out it's been trimmed the good publicity will become bad publicity