• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DETECTIVE COMICS #27 found in attic

1,415 posts in this topic

I think the publicity effect here has been greatly overstated. And to think that the whole country is abuzz because of this story is wishful thinking at best. We noticed it because we are paying attention to the subject matter. To 95% of the general public, they didn't see it or didn't pay attention. And by this time tomorrow, it will have cycled out of everything.

I think Todd is into the book to $100k +

Sounds like he may not have gotten the name and number of the original seller. Not sure about that.

Additionally, the trim likely would have been done years ago -- agree bottom edge is not the trimmed edge, and Eide's did not identify that edge as being the only trimmed edge.

Who'd he make the check out to? "Cash."

lol

Who said it was a check?

Presuming he has $100K available in cash, only a complete fool would execute a $100K+ transaction in cash.

Sounds like he may not have gotten the name and number of the original seller. Not sure about that.

Additionally, the trim likely would have been done years ago -- agree bottom edge is not the trimmed edge, and Eide's did not identify that edge as being the only trimmed edge.

Who'd he make the check out to? "Cash."

lol

Who said it was a check?

Presuming he has $100K available in cash, only a complete fool would execute a $100K+ transaction in cash.

I agree.

One other thing that should be mentioned:

When the original seller came in with the books and it was clear Eide's was not going to purchase them, Eide's offered the original seller a CGC form and explained that by getting this service done it could add thousands and thousands of dollars in value to a book like the Detective 27 and also make it much more liquid.

The original seller handed them the form back and said they had no interest in it at all. Guess more money isn't enticing to a "novice" and they didn't even need to read about it.

One other thing that should be mentioned:

When the original seller came in with the books and it was clear Eide's was not going to purchase them, Eide's offered the original seller a CGC form and explained that by getting this service done it could add thousands and thousands of dollars in value to a book like the Detective 27 and also make it much more liquid.

The original seller handed them the form back and said they had no interest in it at all. Guess more money isn't enticing to a "novice" and they didn't even need to read about it.

If they were legit, wouldn't they at least take it with them and read it...?

Eide's: “I think the book looks trimmed. If it is it will reduce it’s value form 200 grand to 40 grand. The only way you can tell for sure is to send it to CGC. Here is a form, would you like to submit it?

Seller: “let me think about it…….no”

I am very impressed at the amazing coverage this has gotten and the good news is that it will probably turn up hundreds of 10-cent hoards out of attics and basements and closets around the country. There probably won't be any monster books in there but it's like a reminder to go through your house and get the comics into the marketplace, which is what we all want.

Marc

There has been plenty of times that comics and other collectibles "discoveries" like this have come to public outside the hobby and I would say it hardly (like 99.9% of the time) it doesn't translate into more major discoveries. It may dredge out many beat up copies of run of the mill GA and SA because people think that anything from a certain era is worth something.

I usually get annoyed at big stories like this because the few outsiders it reaches it usually only fuels myths and ignorance. It is a good story for news organizations because it just like hitting a lottery jackpot and to them that is all it is. Rarely is it anything more than that. There are never any articles that follow that inform people about the hobby/industry or dispel any of the bad image comics have. I wish they would just stuff the rags to riches carp in the trash where it belongs.

With the ever increasing value of comic books, such as the Detective # 27, I think a group of expert comic book evaluators should come along and form some sort of unbiased GROUP to properly evaluate if a comic book has had restoration or not.

Then, maybe they could encapsulate it and give it a numerical grade. Not a bad idea I think.

Oh, wait....nevermind.

With the ever increasing value of comic books, such as the Detective # 27, I think a group of expert comic book evaluators should come along and form some sort of unbiased GROUP to properly evaluate if a comic book has had restoration or not.

Then, maybe they could encapsulate it and give it a numerical grade. Not a bad idea I think.

Oh, wait....nevermind.

Are you referring to that Oregon based company, PG something or other? lol

Even if it is trimmed, what's do we think a value is? Say it is a 5.0 restored - what kind of dollar value does a Detective 27 have in that case?

$40,000 range, max

gator

Probably slighty less - Metro have a potentially trimmed 6.0 at $47k

Anyone that buys a 100K book and doesn't get a photo id from the seller is either an insufficiently_thoughtful_person or thinks he is buying stolen property.Many states have specfic laws on purchases.In NY,you must get a photo id and hold property several days in case it turns out to be stolen.

And that is the fatal flaw in the story...

If it was truly an "attic find" and the seller didn't know anything about comics, wouldn't the seller have been absolutely thrilled with even $40,000?!? And why would he have passed on a third party appraisal?

The fact that the seller seemed insistant on a $200,000 value and appeared to avoid any appraisal leads one to think it wasn't truly a "freebie" found in an attic. All clues point to the prospect that this book was bought and paid for at some prior point in time.

Between old hands like Metro, Bedrock, Jon Berk, Moondog, Ciorac, Steve B. and a few others here, I'm surprised no one has positively identified this book already.

Even if it is trimmed, what's do we think a value is? Say it is a 5.0 restored - what kind of dollar value does a Detective 27 have in that case?

$40,000 range, max

gator

agreed, that is where I drew my comparision from (that, and the 4.0 trimmed copy heritage sold for $35k last summer)...

rick

And that is the fatal flaw in the story...

If it was truly an "attic find" and the seller didn't know anything about comics, wouldn't the seller have been absolutely thrilled with even $40,000?!? And why would he have passed on a third party appraisal?

The fact that the seller seemed insistant on a $200,000 value and appeared to avoid any appraisal leads one to think it wasn't truly a "freebie" found in an attic. All clues point to the prospect that this book was bought and paid for at some prior point in time.

Between old hands like Metro, Bedrock, Jon Berk, Moondog, Ciorac, Steve B. and a few others here, I'm surprised no one has positively identified this book already.

One of the articles said that the seller had a copy of Overstreet and had "researched" the Tec 27.

From what I have read at, http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/tab3.cfm?newsid=18904487&BRD=2280&PAG =461&dept_id=621559&rfi=6. It's almost as if this guy bought knowing it was trimmed, because he refuses to get it checked, and states that he has had "experts" look at this book and tell him otherwise. I think he paid alot of money for the book because he became highly excited at the fact he would be the owner that could get fame for making the sale public. The article linked above is worth the read and shows the fact of the FIRST comic book store the seller went to.