• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your ONE-OF-A-KIND CGC SS books, or lone top census CGC SS books!
19 19

4,449 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2022 at 1:23 PM, docgo said:

A little off topic but I don’t think everything he mentioned is true. Has CGC ever guaranteed a slab would retain its grade thru a signing? Certainly sounds incorrect to me (shrug)

(my bad...should have read the entire post and used the expression "Good points"...)
I don't believe CGC (or any facilitator) has ever expressly guaranteed a grade will remain the same for any signing / reholder.
Perhaps CGC's official verbiage has been refined / updated throughout the years to expressly state that they DO NOT guarantee same grades?
Which could leave some to believe that there was a likelihood that the grade will stay the same as it was never expressly stated...
Perhaps new warnings were created ala "don't iron clothes while wearing" after much feedback from customers?
I don't know.

I had no idea when I sent it in that this would end up as the only 9.8 SS version of this, but I loved the book, and love Tini Howard's writing, so I jumped at the chance to get this signed last year. It's even better with the caption she added (for free) and the Knull label. 
The hard part is I'm really tempted to send it in for a Peach Momoko signing, but I don't think I'll risk the grade. 

860760226_PhotoDec1653604PM.thumb.jpg.70191cfb15870cb7325492a2236f6f9a.jpg

Edited by Jason Goldman-Hall

On 3/14/2022 at 2:50 PM, BDubs said:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #16 CGC Signature Series Kevin Eastman 9.8 Only one and I believe only one blue label as well. 
CGC Serial Number: 1024865005
9/88
Mirage Studios

16.jpg

I found this exact copy in a dollar box in Tennessee and got it signed.  Good to see it again!  :whee:

Question for the SS Braintrust -

Just wondering if anyone has ever had to submit an insurance claim for a one-of-a-kind / 'irreplaceable' CGC comic.
Specifically, how did you work out FMV?

Knock on wood this isn't something I would ever have to deal with, but my anxiety got the best of me so wanted to find out if there is a benchmark for a situation like this.

After some discussion in the general comics thread I reached out to my insurer Collect Insure.
The person that responded to me stated to use eBay completed sales to determine FMV.
As there are no comps (or recent comps) for some books I was directed to Metropolis Comics to see how they determine FMV in this situation.
(I am still waiting for someone from Metropolis to get back to me)

Below is Collect Insure's "Less Paperwork and Red Tape" commitment once I am able to determine the FMV of the items.
Unlike homeowners insurance, we do not require a schedule or appraisal for most items; however, you are responsible for maintaining your own inventory for insurance purposes (in the event of loss).
The only exceptions are individual items or sets valued over $25,000 apiece, which would have to be scheduled.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Troy Division

On 4/8/2022 at 1:59 PM, ClemsonChuck said:

This one is actually still a work-in-progress that began over a decade ago. All that remains now is a long-overdue Greg Rucka signing. Then my coup de grâce will finally be complete!

0408211341.jpg

A multiple signature book is always awesome.  You’ve got to roll the dice multiple times.  Doing so and maintaining a high grade is impressive!  Love it!  That said… I think it goes in the infinite signatures thread…

Sometimes, a reminder of the rules is a good thing.  Here are the rules for this thread, as taken from the OP in the very first post:

So here are the rules for posting books in this thread:

1. The book must be the only Signature Series book for that particular issue on the census.

2. You may post your book if there are other SS copies on the census only if your copy is the highest and only graded copy. So if there are a couple SS 9.4's and you have the only SS 9.8, then you could post it here.

3. Please refrain from posting signed and sketched books as we all know that type of thing is one of a kind, plus there's another thread for that.

3a. You may post a SS signed and sketched book if it is the only SS book, or single highest graded SS book.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, BDubs said:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 6 Second Printing Signature Series
Signed and Sketch by Peter Laird, Steve Lavigne and Eric Talbot on 5/4/13.

4621893_Full_Obv.jpg

My old book!  I got personally got all those signatures.  :cloud9: