• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Comic Addict's Confessional Room

361 posts in this topic

(shrug) I don't see what the big deal is. One should be able to enjoy their hobby guilt free as long as it doesn't interfere with family and job. Great ASM 59 btw. I need an upgrade, but I'm paying for other books at the moment...

It doesn't interfere with the job, but it does with family, as my better half ALWAYS has something better to spend money on than comics :sumo:

Thanks about the ASM BTW! (thumbs u

I used to collect comics as a child from the age of 8 until I was 14, when my stepfather threw away all 7,000 plus of them. That took me completely out of the hobby.

I think the REAL question here is...where did you plant step dad's badly beaten pipe-hitting corpse after you found out he thrashed your 7000+ comic collection?

Holy mess, I would have went frackin' ballistic.

dear caa,

i keep saying that'll i'll pay my credit card off and only use cash for my comics, but it hasn't happened yet. some book i gotta have always tempts me (like schommy's all winners 8 or rick's batmans).

sincerely,

detroit "i pay too much interest" mike

I did. That was the last straw on top of all the abuse I used to suffer at his hands. He did this right after my sister died, all the while giving me the "these things are a waste of money! They'll never be worth anything!" speech. Then my prized books, to include AF 15, ASM 1, FF 1 and much more - all became part of the Portland City Landfill Pedigree.

I ran away from home, never looked back after all of that drama and didn't go back to Oregon until 2005 when my Grandmother passed away.

My stepfather had a stroke a few years before that but (God forgive me) I didn't really care...:shrug:

dear caa,

i keep saying that'll i'll pay my credit card off and only use cash for my comics, but it hasn't happened yet. some book i gotta have always tempts me (like schommy's all winners 8 or rick's batmans).

sincerely,

detroit "i pay too much interest" mike

Yes! Someone FINALLY got the concept of the thread!!! Thanks Mike! :thumbsup:

I, too, am a CGC comic book addict. Yesterday I bought my 18th copy of Conan #1 in CGC 9.4 or higher. Do I feel better now that I have 18 copies instead of 17?...Nope. Am I now $560.00 more in the hole than I was before?...Yep. Even so, I will be bidding on the next copy I see. Why?....I am addicted.

I, too, am a CGC comic book addict. Yesterday I bought my 18th copy of Conan #1 in CGC 9.4 or higher. Do I feel better now that I have 18 copies instead of 17?...Nope. Am I now $560.00 more in the hole than I was before?...Yep. Even so, I will be bidding on the next copy I see. Why?....I am addicted.

No, you're just trying to corner the market on Conan #1's lol:baiting:

Thanks for making me feel immensely better about wanting to upgrade my Amazing Spider-Man 252 from a CGC 9.4 to a CGC 9.6 and keeping both, even though I have 3 NM raw copies of the book.

A pscyhology grad could write a thesis with this thread.

(excerpts from the rants of a comic nerd's psyche) :insane:

Dear CAA, My name is Thomas and I'm addicted to comics. It's been three days since I bought a comic :applause: but I'm feeling the withdrawls :sick:

I've been having difficulty lately with my collecting focus. It's easy to say in theory that I'm going to pace myself when purchasing books, especially with my wife keeping a close eye on me, looking for little signs that I may have a "problem" with comics. Yeah, RIGHT!! meh I keep seeing books I want to get but I can't afford them. I:luhv:ASM and FF but I can't afford ASMs so I decided to focus on FF. I am selling my ASMs in an effort to get ONE comic, (worship) FF #12 (worship) - one I KNOW I will be proud of for a long time. :acclaim:

I recently obtained a HG copy of #48. It was the attainable Grail I saved for three months to purchase. It satisfied me for awhile, hm but the thrill of taking it out and looking at it once a week is gone. Now I have to get it graded by CGC to rekindle that old flame. Regardless if I under or overgrade it, it will be MY FIRST SUBMISSION! :wishluck: I think I want to start submitting a lot of my SA's. But wait! That will take money away from actually BUYING other comics! The sheer irony of it! :frustrated:

Anyways, I feel better now! :grin:

- who says you need to pay a shrink!?! lol lol :insane:

Don't you get 3 free grading coupons if you get a cgc membership?

Yes, but what's your point? Three grading coupons stacked against 25-30 SA books that are good candidates for submission. meh That's just the FF's!

Top 10 excuses to your significant other to buy an expensive comic

10) I need to upgrade my current copy!

9) I need it to complete my run!

8) It's a 7 on the Gerbar Scale! :insane:

7) (Fill in Artist's Name here) did the artwork!

6) It's a "Key!"

5) It's my GRAIL! (worship)

4) It has historical significance!

3) I've NEVER seen one for this price! :whatthe:

2) It's going to be worth a LOT more someday!

1) Greggy has one!