• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where did your avatar come from?

533 posts in this topic

Brock Sampson, from The Venture Bros., giving the mummy a good boot in the marbles. it's a metaphor for my life.

i'm hoping that one day i will get to play the Brock part

In addition to comic books, I am also a fan and collector of urban vinyl designer toys. One of my favorite designers of vinyl toys is an illustrator named Huck Gee. My avatar is taken from his signature skull illustration used in many of his toy designs.

I have really been enjoying the where did you name come from thread, but it got me to thinking. Some folks may not be familiar with the avatars we use.

Mister Jack by James "Jimmy" Switherton.

The Naughty Adventures of the Vivacious Mr. Jack

"For many who understand and fully recognize the awe and impact of comic book history, James Swinnerton’s Mr. Jack is said to be the first fully-realized funny animal. This refers to the fact that he was created to have hands, walk upright and be almost completely human from the neck down, even though he resembled a tiger-like creature.

A couple years into the strip, individual personalities began to appear from the pack of tigers. One in particular stood out over all the rest - Mr. Jack. His character was a stylish but vulgar gentleman who was a womanizer to no end. Even though Mr. Jack was married, the vows of holy matrimony did not stop him from always prowling and keeping an eye out for any good looking female in the neighborhood.

During that time, Mr. Jack was a horrible example for young children and was the target of many protests. During the early 1900s, Mr. Jack was moved to the sports section of the newspaper so men could still enjoy the scandalous behavior of Mr. Jack but so women and children would come across him less often"

Jack (Vivacious)

61312_139109_1.jpg

Senorita Rio. I stole the artwork from a website for an artist who stole the image from Lilly Renee who drew it on the cover of Fight Comics #39.

And now that I've said that, I'll probably change to Phantom Lady or back to Sky Girl sometime soon.

GGA! :banana:

Close up of Robert Kirkman's Invincible as a zombie, done by series artist Ryan Ottley for fun and turned into a limited edition signed and numbered print entitled "The Invincible Dead" which was released by Image at the 2007 San Diego Comic Con.

2007_Convention_Print_3.jpg

I like it because it's a cool piece, reflects my two favorite regular series (Invincible and the Walking Dead), and he also looks like how I feel when I attend cons on successive weekends.

I own the original art as well:

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=306444&GSub=13710

Gargantus from the cover of STRANGE TALES #85. I love a good bathysphere cover!

Bill

I think we need a bathysphere cover thread! :banana:

Mine's the cover to Tales of Suspense #8: "Monstro, the Menace From the Murky Depths!"

It's tough to beat a killer giant octopus cover! :cloud9:

Gargantus from the cover of STRANGE TALES #85. I love a good bathysphere cover!

Bill

I think we need a bathysphere cover thread! :banana:

Mine's the cover to Tales of Suspense #8: "Monstro, the Menace From the Murky Depths!"

It's tough to beat a killer giant octopus cover! :cloud9:

Monstro is cool alright, but Gargantus could kick his squid arse any day :grin: