• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

The "Detective 38" for the Shield and Pep Comics , a very tough book (especially in grade) - this copy is pedigree quality:

100_1069.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship) you've been holding out on me :D

I'm sure you see this book on my want list in my signature line. HA designated it one of the rarest MLJ's, and I've been wondering if any Boardies had a copy. CC has two copies coming up in June. I will take home one or the winning bidder(s) will pay dearly lol

:cloud9:

Edited by Sagii

HA designated it one of the rarest MLJ's...

Probably true - it's the only copy of Pep 11 that I've personally ever seen.

I'm sure you see this book on my want list in my signature line.

:shy:

You may be interested in this book, as well - I bought this in a Blue label non-descript slab and it was a pleasant surprise when I cracked it out to learn it is a Larson (some edge foxing, white pages, slight glue on spine, name is erased under "BLUE"):

23cdb153-a310-4e20-b003-96728b416cad_zpstg4zvbki.jpg

[EDIT: jbcomicbox has the Larson copy, this apparently is not one despite all the indicators]

Edited by sacentaur

You may be interested in this book, as well - I bought this in a Blue label non-descript slab and it was a pleasant surprise when I cracked it out to learn it is a Larson (some edge foxing, white pages, slight glue on spine, name is erased under "BLUE"):

:ohnoez::ohnoez:

Incredible! That cover is so kick ( I love the fact you have to look really closely to notice its a train cover. And the knife in the back....

Ok, ok, 'You da Man!!' ^^ x2

:ohnoez::ohnoez:

Incredible! That cover is so kick ( I love the fact you have to look really closely to notice its a train cover. And the knife in the back....

Ok, ok, 'You da Man!!' ^^ x2

2 Very cool books right there!!

Here's a group shot (two dozen books) from a mini-geekfet going back several years now, including some pedigrees in the mix like Larson, Allentown, Hawkeye, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and San Francisco (note: I no longer own the Zip #9/Allentown copy)

000_0202.jpg

Here's a group shot (two dozen books) from a mini-geekfet going back several years now, including some pedigrees in the mix like Larson, Allentown, Hawkeye, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and San Francisco (note: I no longer own the Zip #9/Allentown copy)

000_0202.jpg

Knew I should check back in before I turned in?. That is SOME collection! Were/are all those yours? Super group shot sir! (thumbs u

The "Detective 38" for the Shield and Pep Comics, a very tough book (especially in grade) - this copy is pedigree quality:

100_1069.jpg

Beautiful Pep's Steve!

000_0202.jpg

Beautiful books Steve. I love the cover on that 32... It's nice to see pics of a book, gives you a better idea of the book's structure than a scan does sometimes...

000_0202.jpg

Beautiful books Steve. I love the cover on that 32... It's nice to see pics of a book, gives you a better idea of the book's structure than a scan does sometimes...

Ok, first of all WOW! Great shot. They all look like they are in amazing shape! I've wanted to do a group shot for so long, but I can't figure out how to do it in a way that would actually capture it all. Thanks for sharing!! :applause:

Edited by GoldenPRGuy

The "Detective 38" for the Shield and Pep Comics, a very tough book (especially in grade) - this copy is pedigree quality:

100_1069.jpg

Holy C--! That is an insane copy. I went to pull mine out and it actually took me a second to confirm I was holding my 11. The colors on yours and the colors on mine are no where near one another! (worship)

I always thought I had a nice looking copy ... not so much anymore.

Pep%2011_zpsulrqditp.jpg

100_1069.jpg

Holy C--! That is an insane copy. I went to pull mine out and it actually took me a second to confirm I was holding my 11. The colors on yours and the colors on mine are no where near one another! (worship)

I always thought I had a nice looking copy ... not so much anymore.

Pep%2011_zpsulrqditp.jpg

I want to be a member of this club! :cry:

Cool book of course sir! :applause:

That is SOME collection! Were/are all those yours?

Yes - just a random selection of books for the gathering.

Allentown:

100_1058.jpg

You have really got this thread jumping my friend! :applause: Love that train cover too. Many great covers in the Pep run!

That is SOME collection! Were/are all those yours?

Yes - just a random selection of books for the gathering.

Allentown:

100_1058.jpg

Whoa! Some sensational books!

Many great covers in the Pep run!

Agreed - the Pep run is just loaded!

5139a6ac-5b1b-4e7f-930d-6e7b41ec401f_zpskihqsv9j.jpg

Love the Hangman's noose. I'll see if i can find something you many not have to post, but that's not looking too good lol

Why do you think Pep's appear to be scarce? Would you say, that is really the case, or locked in collections and 'overlooked' so long for more high profile publishers that people 'forgot' they had them, but now that they have a respectable (and growing)following, they are surfacing?

Many great covers in the Pep run!

Agreed - the Pep run is just loaded!

5139a6ac-5b1b-4e7f-930d-6e7b41ec401f_zpskihqsv9j.jpg

It just keeps going! Thanks for bringing these out ... very impressive books! I have 'em all, but only a handful at that quality level. Keep them coming! :popcorn: