• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

I was bidding on a few....I was also at work when they all ended so I missed the fireworks but I am glad to see they all brought relatively strong prices. The Pep #34 was beautiful...The seller was super nice and sent me a slightly more detailed list of all the Peps. I think the #28 went for a decent price. Now is someone can please find me a low grade #34 I will gladly pay oodles of cash for it...I am sure the line is not short though haha!! Congrats to anyone who landed those that was fun to see them all go at a no reserve auction format.

I only got one Corey, and no need to wait till it's in hand to share. It was the Pep 49. A little rough around the edges and a loose center wrap, but ... well, I wanted it. :)

Gino I had my eye on the 34 like everyone else, but was out of that way early. It was the Pep 26 I was chasing, but tapped out around $3700.

I'm not sure how much money was left on the table by not slabbing or HA-ing. hehe

Shane had a great format, he had them ending on the perfect day and time, no conflict with any other auction house. He had pics of front and back - though not high res which in a way probably helped (up for debate). He was super communicative when asked, and even when he wasn't asked - supplying all the great issue by issue detail to us individually. The BP with HA is a P.I.A. We pay it because we have to, but I hate it. That said, it does oddly make it justifiable for me to drop 535 on the book I bought cause I know I would have had to get it for 380ish sans BP to pay the same price on HA.

Edited by GoldenPRGuy

I only got one Corey, and no need to wait till it's in hand to share. It was the Pep 49. A little rough around the edges and a loose center wrap, but ... well, I wanted it. :)

Gino I had my eye on the 34 like everyone else, but was out of that way early. It was the Pep 26 I was chasing, but tapped out around $3700.

I'm not sure how much money was left on the table by not slabbing or HA-ing. hehe

Shane had a great format, he had them ending on the perfect day and time, no conflict with any other auction house. He had pics of front and back - though not high res which in a way probably helped (up for debate). He was super communicative when asked, and even when he wasn't asked - supplying all the great issue by issue detail to us individually. The BP with HA is a P.I.A. We pay it because we have to, but I hate it. That said, it does oddly make it justifiable for me to drop 535 on the book I bought cause I know I would have had to get it for 380ish sans BP to pay the same price on HA.

I don't follow these as closely as you folks, but I was surprised at how high some of the prices were. He didn't exactly run head-to-head with HA because the HA auction had ended before these closed. But still, you do wonder whether some potential bidders didn't participate -- or didn't participate as fully as they might have -- if he had run the auctions a week earlier.

Given the prices HA got yesterday, it's hard to believe he wouldn't have gotten more if they had been graded and put in that auction. But who really knows?

I don't follow these as closely as you folks, but I was surprised at how high some of the prices were. He didn't exactly run head-to-head with HA because the HA auction had ended before these closed. But still, you do wonder whether some potential bidders didn't participate -- or didn't participate as fully as they might have -- if he had run the auctions a week earlier.

Given the prices HA got yesterday, it's hard to believe he wouldn't have gotten more if they had been graded and put in that auction. But who really knows?

Valid point, Tony. And you're right, who really knows... but I will clarify with regard to the HA auction, it wasn't a very heavy Archie/MLJ showing, so while an Archie/MLJ buyer could be any GA collector (like you, sir), for those who psychotically collect/hoard all that is Archie/MLJ, my focus was no where but eBay last night.

There are definitely books that I would have bid much higher on if had they been in a blue label slab rather than raw. I have a hard time rolling the dice on multithousand dollar books...

The #38 seemed like a good deal compared to others in the range, is it more common, or did someone score? Nice Schomburg cover.

Pep 29 has a Schomburg cover and it went for a high price. Don't know about Pep 38. They all went for a lot of money but I thought it was due to crazy Archie fans.

8520670929_19b2e0da1a_c.jpg

The two on the right are coverless.

Cool books BB, the Pep 20 and BR 21 are still on you want list. :cloud9:

Great opinions and observations all around guys. Got most of the usual MLJ guys to opine( wonder what Steve, Robot Man, Xavier, and Frisco think if they were following). These books like some other publishers out there( Fox, Harvey, to name a few)are still finding the ceiling for some issues because they rarely come to market unlike key or sought after issues by DC and Timely that sometimes come up every other auction and bidders can kind of gauge where it's gonna end up usually based on recent sales.

Will more copies surface as word gets out what they are bringing? Who knows.

But it's probably safe to say 'Pep' followed by 'Zip' and maybe 'Jackpot' are the top three titles in that order I think.

Edited by Sagii

Now There's a Zip Comics #32 CGC 8.0 on eBay from Sparkle City (classic Nazi skeletons cover). All the good stuff coming up at one time. This is the second highest graded after the Mile High. So glad i have this one already (a lowly 4.5, but i lover 'er). :cloud9:

Wonder where this one will hammer?