• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BREAKING NEWS! Batman #1 CGC 9.0 sells for $300,000!!!

256 posts in this topic

exactly...my point...sometimes all the money in the world means nothing if something is not available for sale :)

Rick, just out of curiosity, what do you think would be more fun: going after a run that you can complete in less than a year, or going after a run that could only be completed after 5 or more years of patient and determined searching?

exactly...my point...sometimes all the money in the world means nothing if something is not available for sale :)

Rick, just out of curiosity, what do you think would be more fun: going after a run that you can complete in less than a year, or going after a run that could only be completed after 5 or more years of patient and determined searching?

Good question! we are waiting Gator :whatev:

depends... are you GUARANTEED that you will complete th erun in 6 years? If so Id go for the harder more satisfying run. Otherwise, might as well go for the doable run. Assuming its the completeion thats the goal, NOT the searching.

depends... are you GUARANTEED that you will complete th erun in 6 years? If so Id go for the harder more satisfying run. Otherwise, might as well go for the doable run. Assuming its the completeion thats the goal, NOT the searching.

But are there really any runs that could not possibly be completed in 5 or more years? Even Adventure 1-39, perhaps the most difficult run, could be completed if neither grade nor cost were factors. From what I know of Gator, those are not factors that would prevent his attempt.

true and true. I guess its not such a simple b and w question for me. I think the easy HG run is not a challenge; but Im not too excited about the prospect of searching for 5 years and ending up with 3 or 4 fairs and G-minuses just to secure a spot in a run. Neither is my "collecting speciality". : )

but, overall, if I HAD to choose, I suppose Id settle for the low grade beaters in hopes of upgrading someday.

hello all....

again, we are looking at this from "our" perspective.... we have no idea if a mutil multi millionaire was not the buyer, to whom $300,000 is just an afterthought?....

I agree it is a very strong price to pay relative to historical prices paid , but a book is worth what someone is willing to pay, and someone was obviously willing to pay that.... and, a batman #1 in 9.0 is very scarce (only 3 have surfaced, and even if 10 more were to, that is still a small number)

rick

It is all relative.If you have Bill Gates money what would it matter?I know if I had that much money the highest graded copies of Detective 1-26 would be mine.

Its hard enough just getting Tec 1-26 :frustrated:

:pullhair:

At some point the not for sale becomes for sale.Excuse me if im mistaken.But didnt JB sell of some of his collection as needed for tuition etc?When you have had a book for 20-30 years sometimes it is time to sell.Didnt David Anderson reaquire the MH Detective?I seem to remember something about that.

Dennis

hey RHG....

I find them both rewarding, but I am by nature a completionist, and most folks will agree, I am not very patient when it comes to comics collecting :) though, I guess I could be...I start something, and it tends to drive me crazy till I can complete...sometimes, like on the Batman run, I will make it a little more challenging (all unrestored 6.0 avg or better)...sometimes, like on Tec run, take what I can get, and worry about upgrading later...

that said, I have determined that 2008 is the year of the Centaur for me...do I expect to complete...no way...there are so many books that folks like Win have been after for years, and they have never been available for sale...but, I will approach this with patience, because realistic expectation demand it...

luckily, I am not a high grade guy (though I love that you and folks like Bedrock are, because I can enjoy your books too, and appreciate a whole different kind of collecting!)... I love restored books, I love nice presentable low grade books, I even like high grade (though I don't actively search to buy them)...I just love collecting comics :)

rick

hey RHG....

I find them both rewarding, but I am by nature a completionist, and most folks will agree, I am not very patient when it comes to comics collecting :) though, I guess I could be...I start something, and it tends to drive me crazy till I can complete...sometimes, like on the Batman run, I will make it a little more challenging (all unrestored 6.0 avg or better)...sometimes, like on Tec run, take what I can get, and worry about upgrading later...

that said, I have determined that 2008 is the year of the Centaur for me...do I expect to complete...no way...there are so many books that folks like Win have been after for years, and they have never been available for sale...but, I will approach this with patience, because realistic expectation demand it...

luckily, I am not a high grade guy (though I love that you and folks like Bedrock are, because I can enjoy your books too, and appreciate a whole different kind of collecting!)... I love restored books, I love nice presentable low grade books, I even like high grade (though I don't actively search to buy them)...I just love collecting comics :)

rick

Sounds good. Good luck with the Centaurs. (thumbs u

hey RHG....

rick

Sounds good. Good luck with the Centaurs. (thumbs u

Good Luck, RHG, on your 25 year quest. :foryou:

Good Luck, RHG, on your 25 year quest. :foryou:

If I can just outlive the people who have the books I need. :wishluck:

My problem as well. :sorry:

that said, I have determined that 2008 is the year of the Centaur for me...

:popcorn:

Is it too early for 2008 predictions??

Mine:

Centaur's will go up in price. :baiting:

doh!