• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

A big thank you to Bronzilla for hooking me up with this REH mini-grail. The cover story "Red Shadows " is the first appearrance of Solomon Kane. It also contains the story "The Vengence of Nitocris," which is the first published work of some guy named Tennessee Williams. Thanks JR! (thumbs u

WT8-28fc.jpg

:oWhoa, great book Theagenes! I had no idea about that one... (worship)

So does anyone else here collect the Wandering Star limited editions? I finally picked the first Conan volume awhile back was blown away at what a gorgeous book it was. I quickly started getting the others and think they are truly must haves for serious REH fans. With all due respect to Donald Grant, these are simply the best publications of Howard's work, both in presentation and content.

Well, I finally got the first of series, The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane, in the mail today. It is a gorgeous book with beautiful B&W illustrations and full color plates by Gary Gianni, and it's chock full of extras like postcards of the plates and an audio CD of the poem "Solomon's Kane's Homecoming."

SolomonKane02sm.jpg

SolomonKane01sm.jpg

SolomonKane03sm.jpg

I had the good fortune to purchase this volume from Gary Gianni himself. He is without a doubt one of my favorite current artists and I believe his in his work you can really see the influence of some of the great illustrators of the past like Frazetta, Foster, Wyeth and Pyle. I was excited when he offered to add a sketch - and the result just blew me away! How cool is this?

SolomonKane04sm.jpg

It is a gorgeous book

Geek :baiting:

Care to tell us more about the edition. How long ago were these released?

:applause:

I'm a proud geek! :)

If you're familiar with the new Delrey REH trade editions, these are the first editions from which those were printed. They contain all the stories in their most unedited form, including a number of fragments and drafts. No deCamp/Carter revisions. They are full of illustrations and well-made structurally. Scrooge, you would dig these - they are close as you get to having scholarly editions of his works.

The Solomon Kane book is the first in the series and came out in 1998. It was followed by Bran Mak Morn: The Last King, The Ultimate Triumph (stories on the bararism vs. civilization theme), Conan of Cimmeria Vol.1, and Conan of Cimmeria Vol. 2. The third Conan volume was never finished and Wandering Star ceased publication of the series for financial reasons.

Last year, Subterranean Press took up the series and published Kull: Exile of Atlantis. At first they said they were going to do Conan vol.3 but then announced that they couldn't for legal reasons. The reason became clear a few weeks ago when Wandering Star announced that they would be completing the long-awaited third Conan volume after all and it will be out later this year. Subterranean will do the rest of the series.

I'll post some pics of the other books tommorrow. (thumbs u

For the el cheapos in the crowd who just want to read this excellent, unaltered stuff, the Delrey books are top notch. You can get em at amazon, borders, etc.

For the el cheapos in the crowd who just want to read this excellent, unaltered stuff, the Delrey books are top notch. You can get em at amazon, borders, etc.

Yes, if you haven't read any Howard since you were a 12-year old voraciously digesting those dog-eared Lancers, you should really pick up the new Delrey trades and enjoy these stories the way the author really intended.

And if you like beautifully Illustrated limited editions (and aren't an el cheapo) pick up these:

WSGroupsm.jpg

:oOutstanding editions! :golfclap:

Approx how much were they, if you can share. :shy:

The prices are all over the map actually, from close to 1k for Solomon Kane to $75 for Ultimate Triumph (which I still need). There are several versions of each book as well. Here's a rough break-down:

The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane (Wandering Star 1998) - Illustrated by Gary Gianni

Leatherbound edition (50 signed/numbered copies) - $2000+?? Never actually seen one for sale. It wasn't sold to the public.

Publisher's edition (100 signed/numbered copies) - $800-1200

Regular Limited edition (1050 signed/numbered copies) - $500-800

The Ultimate Triumph (Wandering Star 1999) - Illustrated by Frazetta

Leatherbound Edition (100 numbered copies) - ??

Regular Limited Edition (1050 numbered copies) - $100-150

Trade Edition - $50-100

Bran Mak Morn: The Last King (Wandering Star 2001) - Illustrated by Gary Gianni

Leatherbound Edition (50 signed/numbered copies) - ??

Regular Limited Edition (1050 signed/numbered copies) - $125-175

Trade Edition - $50-100

Conan of Cimmeria Vol. 1 (Wandering Star 2002) - Illustrated by Mark Schultz

Leatherbound edition (50 signed/numbered copies) - $700-800

Artist's edition (100 signed/numbered copies) - $300-500

Regular Limited edition (1050 signed/numbered copies) - $150-200

Conan of Cimmeria Vol. 2 (Wandering Star 2004) - Illustrated by Gary Gianni

Leatherbound edition (50 signed/numbered copies) - $700-800

Artist's edition (100 signed/numbered copies) - $300-500

Regular Limited edition (1050 signed/numbered copies) - $150-200

Kull: Exile of Atlantis (Subterranean Press 2008) - Illustrated by Justin Sweet

Regular Limited Edition (1500 signed/numbered copies) - $75-125

Conan of Cimmeria Vol. 3 (Wandering Star, Forthcoming 2009) - Illustrated by Gregory Manchess

Leatherbound edition (100 signed/numbered copies) - $500

Regular Limited edition (1000 signed/numbered copies) - $200

Edited by Theagenes

This is one sweet thread. I'm working my way through off and on today.

I've only just recently been reading Conan. I started with the Dark Horse series, and then through reprints of the old Marvel issues. I always figured I'd stick with the comic versions of the stories until I read a few REH shorts on the flight to SDCC. Holy smokes, these stories kick ! Despite having read the same stories in comic form, I was completely immersed in the tales. Howard really knew how to create a compelling pulp story.

I've always been a big Edgar Rice Burroughs fan, so I'm surprised it took me 36 years to find Howard. doh!

And now that I'm reading the stories, I've decided to buy some issues, too. I've even started a thread in the WTB area. I think I'm hooked. (thumbs u