• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

That was awesome. It is the first of it I have ever seen! Anyone know how many Crom adventures were printed and where???

Why the blond hair? Clearly the same world as Conan, I guess he did not want to get sued by using a black haired Cimmerian.

Loved the Tower and the Lions...clearly this guy had read his Howard. Though Conan would never go to the city jail "meekly".

Oustanding post award of 2008 goes to Theagenes! :takeit:

Edited by Comicsarefun

Thank you!! Maybe we should start a post specifically to show case storys that the average joe might never have a chance to read. You know the storys that have never been reprinted and probbly never will be. We could take turns scanning storys from comics of all Genres.

It would be a continuing on line comic book.

Would that work?? Any thoughts??

I don;t have Strange Worlds #1, but I do have Out of This World Adventures v01n02, a pulp with comics inside... Here's "Crom in... The Spider God of Akka!"

Cimm

Awesome Cimm! I have a B&W reprint of the third Crom store that was published a few years ago, but I've never had a chance to read the second. Thanks for posting this. :applause:

In answer to ComicsareFun's question, there were only three Crom stories. I believe this a complete listing of their publishing history:

June 1950 - Out of This World #1 - "Crom the Barbarian" (1st Crom story)

July 1950 - Out of World Adventures (pulp) #1 - reprints "Crom the Barbarian" (1st Crom story).

August 1950 - Out of This World #1, 2nd printing (No month on cover, different back cover) - reprints "Crom the Barbarian" (1st Crom story).

November 1950 - Strange Worlds #1 - "Spider God of Akka" (2nd Crom story)

December 1950 - Out of this World Adventures (pulp) #2 - reprints "Spider God of Akka" (2nd Crom story)

April 1951 - Strange Worlds #2 - "The Giant from Beyond" (3rd and final Crom story; not Giunta art)

Thank you!! Maybe we should start a post specifically to show case storys that the average joe might never have a chance to read. Would that work?? Any thoughts??

Sounds great to me. I have a complete Savage Sword and Savage Tales digital archive to draw from.

RedNails from Savage Tales 2,3 is live in the Mag forum. I'll try n' post Frost Giant's Daughter later tonight.

If anyone has a favorite Savage Sword story lemme know and I'll see about compiling it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2635567#Post2635567

Thanks RedRaven!

FYI: Marvel did an outstanding, beautiful full color comic sized reprint of BWS' Red Nails in the early '80's on Baxter paper.

Red Nails was probably the Conan high water mark for Barry in full length comic form.

RedRaven, I think it's a cool idea but reproducing an entire copyrighted story on a commercial website is probably not fair use. :eek:

Most of the Avon material like the Crom story is public domain now, but anything owned by Marvel is not.

That said, I have to agree with Bill, Red Nails is BWS at his best on Conan. Dark Horse also did a nice color reproduction recently, but I think I prefer the original B&W as it was intended for Savage Tales - his intricate linework doesn't get lost. Great story!

RedRaven, I think it's a cool idea but reproducing an entire copyrighted story on a commercial website is probably not fair use. :eek:

I'm not gonna debate fair use cause honestly I am not sure what exactly that means beyond my limited reading on it. Hopefully no one has a problem with it but I'll gladly yank the scans(if Arch doesn't first) if it becomes an issue. Until then enjoy!!!

I'm not gonna debate fair use cause honestly I am not sure what exactly that means beyond my limited reading on it. Hopefully no one has a problem with it but I'll gladly yank the scans(if Arch doesn't first) if it becomes an issue. Until then enjoy!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it! :cool:

But it would very, very, very bad if you were to also post the original, uncensored B&W Frost Giant's Daughter by BWS from Savage Tales 1 (as opposed to the censored sans-nipples color version from Conan 16). That would be very bad. Just sayin... :whistle:

lol (thumbs u

If I dont get it posted tonight I will by the end of the weekend. I need to revise the javascript to handle multiple stories within the same viewer. Right now it's limited to a single compilation.

Okay time to give the Conan thread its periodic :bump:

Well, as everyone knows, the first Conan prototype in comics was the Starr the Slayer story by BWS in Chamber of Darkness 4 (April 1970)..... or was it?

Hey, I just bought a copy of Chamber #4 from our own DKB! :cloud9:

Great :bump: BTW, Theagenes! A fantastic looking book, By Crom! ;)