• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

So come on, who won the Weird Tales with the first published Conan story on the last Comiclink auction hm? I was beat by $40 :(

Meanwhile, picked up a pile of pence copies for a tenner. They'll make perfect reading copies :)

conanspence.jpg

I came in second place and was winning for a while at the end. Beat last second as expected. Thought it would hit $500.

Pulps definitely seem to bring in more on the auction sites as opposed to ebay. A much nicer copy than this one went for $500-600 a few months ago on ebay and I really wish I had gone after it, but I was tapped at the time. This issue and other key pulps have really done well at heritage the last few years. It's great to see Clink getting in on the pulp action.

On a related note, I was surprised to see that 1927 Amazing Stories Annual didn't make reserve. That is a super rare book.

i'd like to complete my run, i think i have practically everything 100 and below as well as the last 20-30 issues, it's just that some of the stuff in like the 130s - 200 wasn't very good and i'm loath to spend money on it

ditto on savage sword

no interest, for whatever reason, in King Conan, even though I basically have the set

I thought Conan 175-205 was some of the best stuff, actually.

i'd like to complete my run, i think i have practically everything 100 and below as well as the last 20-30 issues, it's just that some of the stuff in like the 130s - 200 wasn't very good and i'm loath to spend money on it

ditto on savage sword

no interest, for whatever reason, in King Conan, even though I basically have the set

yeah original stories, wasn`t Roy Thomas rehashing and adapting Robert Howard stories.

yeah original stories, wasn`t Roy Thomas rehashing and adapting Robert Howard stories.

hmm, well maybe i'll revisit this issue. somewhere during the 60 cent cover price era, which is I guess before 175, I sensed something of a drop-off, maybe resting on it laurels. when did big john buscema get off the book? didn't sal take over? if it was Sal, maybe that explains my dislike, I just didn't like anything he did in the 80's for the most part.

Hi

Enjoyed reading this thread and thought you all might enjoy looking at this copy I have in my hands.

weirdtales1932.jpg

I have a few other REH pulps, but this is, I think, one sweet copy of a very hard to find pulp!

Tracey Heft

Wow! That is an incredible copy! :o(worship)

That red spine is sweet!

hmm, well maybe i'll revisit this issue. somewhere during the 60 cent cover price era, which is I guess before 175, I sensed something of a drop-off, maybe resting on it laurels. when did big john buscema get off the book? didn't sal take over? if it was Sal, maybe that explains my dislike, I just didn't like anything he did in the 80's for the most part.

The art did drop off in the 160-175 range, I agree. Once the Semieks and Isherwood team started, the art was phenomenal. 175-200 featured the Devourer of Souls storyline, which was, IIRC, the longest single Conan story. Whole thing had a kind of Dungeons and Dragons feel to it, which I loved at the time.

Roy Thomas did not exclusively adapt REH stories, but the original ones he did were in keeping with the original pulps.

The art did drop off in the 160-175 range, I agree. Once the Semieks and Isherwood team started, the art was phenomenal. 175-200 featured the Devourer of Souls storyline, which was, IIRC, the longest single Conan story. Whole thing had a kind of Dungeons and Dragons feel to it, which I loved at the time.

Roy Thomas did not exclusively adapt REH stories, but the original ones he did were in keeping with the original pulps.

During his run on the title, Thomas was more or less trying to follow the chronological order of the Conan mythos. After he left, the stories eventually began to stray under other editors, almost like random RPG adventures. I didn't care for that approach so much, I wanted the staff to adhere more to the REH background. 2c

Earlier in this thread we had an fun Elric/Moorcock discussion so I thought I'd post a few cool recent Elric related arrivals.

Elric first appeared in print in 1961 in issue 47 of the British digest Science Fantasy:

ScienceFantasy047fcsm.jpg

Another early Elric cover/story from early 1962:

ScienceFantasy055fcsm.jpg

Later in 1962, the first Elric book The Stealer of Souls was released. This is the true UK first edition. The unsold copies of this print run were shipped to the US with the shilling price clipped from the dj and replaced with a price sticker in US$ and the name of the US publisher stamped on the title page. Because of this, the original unstamped, unclipped UK version is fairly scarce.

StealerofSoulsfcsm.jpg

Earlier in this thread we had an fun Elric/Moorcock discussion so I thought I'd post a few cool recent Elric related arrivals.

Elric first appeared in print in 1961 in issue 47 of the British digest Science Fantasy.

Later in 1962, the first Elric book The Stealer of Souls was released. This is the true UK first edition. The unsold copies of this print run were shipped to the US with the shilling price clipped from the dj and replaced with a price sticker in US$ and the name of the US publisher stamped on the title page. Because of this, the original unstamped, unclipped UK version is fairly scarce.

Wow, I did not know any of that -- interesting info there, Theagenes! :grin:

(thumbs u

We all know what that is Tracey!! Very nice!!

(thumbs u

hm what is that? First REH Weird Tales?

ALL of us don't know...

Does anyone have a list (or link) of all the Weird Tales with REH/Conan Covers/Stories in em?

I'd love to delve into collecting some pulps, Gnomes, and REH Grants.

Who published that Rare REH Skull-Face book?

(thumbs u

First appearance of Conan (in "The Phoenix on the Sword") :gossip:

Grail of Grails for a Conan/REH collector

ALL of us don't know...

Does anyone have a list (or link) of all the Weird Tales with REH/Conan Covers/Stories in em?

You know I haven't seen a comprehensive list anywhere of all of REH's publications. I'll try and put one together and post it in this thread - it would be useful for me as well. The Weird Tales stories are faily easy to list, but some of his work in other pulps like Oriental Stories, Golden Fleece, Fight Stories, etc. might be more difficult.

Skull-Face and Others was published by Arkham House in 1946. It's the first REH book that is actually accessible to collectors. A Gent from Bear Creek was published in book form in the UK in late 30s, but only 5 or 6 copies are known to exist, and half of those are in library collections.

Edit: Here is useful article originally published in Firsts magazine on collecting Howard first editions:

http://www.donherron.com/collect_reh.html

Edited by Theagenes

(thumbs u

ALL of us don't know...

Check this out Neil:

Robert E. Howard: A Collector's Descriptive Bibliography (Hardcover)

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Howard-Collectors-Descriptive-Bibliography/dp/0786426462/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221339552&sr=1-1

I bought it at SDCC from Bud Plant. (thumbs u