• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
13 13

1,674 posts in this topic

This thread hasn't seen any action in over a month? :sumo: :naughty: :preach:

I poured through each of the 39 pages of this thread (it spans two plus years) and was astounded that the only pic of ASM #151 that I saw...THE ONLY ONE...was in a post Stronguy made where he posted small pics of the whole Bronze Age ASM run: #80-199 (a number of pics/scans are no longer showing, but STILL!). I am correcting this travesty today by copping a scan of the sweet issue in question, a very high grade one that recently sold here on the boards. :headbang:

ASM151.jpg

:luhv:

Besides singling out this issue by its image (admittedly a non-key issue), I want to discuss some serious crazy stuff going on with the market value of this black cover beauty. I will draw from personal experience just over a year ago, some boardies' input which proved accurate, GPA info (my beloved just got me a subscription :banana:), some personal research, and the current winds of change that will still have you guessing how much this bad boy can go for if you got one...or want one.

Please, fellow ASM Bronze fans, chime in on this persoanl favorite. And lest anyone think I'm only in it for values and market and so on, this was the time frame when I was a kid and readiing the title--and there was nothing like it. :cloud9:

Overstreet reminds us that this issue is where "Spider-Man disposes of clone body." The Shocker comes to town too. And sewers and rats. Mercy!

Okay, okay, When someone starts to post incessantly it gets very annoying, but I've got to follow up with my story and hopefully (:wishluck:) it'll be interesting and also will spur some stories and feedback.

After a 15 year break from comics, in summer of 2007, I get back into the hobby. In 2008, I submit a batch of (at the time) moderns that included a copy of ASM #151 from my personal ASM collection. Although I read the comic as an 8-year-old from either a subscription or from the 7-Eleven, I definitely picked up another copy in the late '70s or early '80s and this was the one I submitted to CGC. It came back a 9.6 (OWW) and I soon discovered that it wasn't exactly worth 48.00 (the 9.2 price in Overstreet).

Truth be told, as a purported ASM collector, I guess a case could be made that I sold out it when I decided I was going to put it on the market. I figured I'd get a nice 9.0 or 9.2 copy as a replacement and make some funds in the process. The question was "How much?" And that's a question that's going to get some fluid answers for this book in this grade. I PMed BronzeBruce13, Foolkiller, greggy, Foolkiller, and Worldsbestcomics (I might have left out a person or two) and asked their input on the value of the book. Besides greggy giving me a :screwy: (I'm paraphrasing here from memory :whistle:), I basically heard from the scribes that 400-700 was the range. For someone whose allowance is basically 100-150 per month, this was enticing.

The book went up in a ComicLink auction in late 2008. Its hammer price was 705.00. This was barely over a year ago. Although I might whine that I'd like to still own it--sentimental value, monetary value, etc.--there's no doubt it was a great time to sell. At that time, I recall there being about 150 copies on the census and only 10 or 11 in 9.6 (now there are 19 in 9.6 and 193 submitted--so the 9.6s have nearly doubled with the last 40-odd submissions--choose your favorite theory or theories on this one).

GPA for this book in 9.6--19 copies total--as of yesterday (Feb. 3, 2010) is as follows:

'08: 519.00 (1 sale); doesn't include mine since ComicLink won't cooperate with GPA

'09: 597.00 (4 sales)

12 mo. avg.: 460.00 (4 sales)

Last sale: 306.00 (Feb. 2010)...more on this in a bit.

Here is some of the research I've compiled on specific 9.6 sales:

9.6 (Oww) 705.00 11/18/08

ComicLink Auction...My former book that you just heard more than you wanted to know about. :whistle:

9.6 (OWW) 519.09 12/1/08

ebay (John Haines Rare Comics)...ebay gets less than ComicLink factor? Or the fluid nature of #151 in general?

9.6 (OWW) 853.00 1/27/09

ComicLink Auction...Holy man. The highest amount ever paid for a 9,.6? ComicLink factor hard to deny.

9.6 (OWW) 676.00 2/9/09

ebay...Just days after a likely record-breaking price, this copy--a sweet one with no miswrap--sells for substantially less.

9.6 (OWW) 425.00 4/21/09

ComicLink Auction...Uh, whoops. So much for ComicLink's infallibility. This was one low price. Or is it along the lines of the book's finally settling down and "HG Bronze has been taken a major hit in '09"?

9.6 (pQ?) 291.00 7/09

This was a sale recorded by GPA....Some would say an anomaly for this issue. This is dirt cheap. Or is it a trend?

9.6 (WP) 306.00 2/2/10--just 2 days ago! ebay...the boards' own filter81 puts up the first white page specimen I've tracked on this book and I thought the book would easily eclipse 500.00. :tonofbricks: Don't know what Adam was expecting, but the guy's got so many sweet books maybe he's lost track. I would've loved to have bid on this book if I had the coin (why did I sell mine :cry:)

Okay, so I, being wise in my own eyes, had pretty much realized that this book was on its way down in a big way--and that was all there was to it.

:news: BUT THEN...right here on the boards, not too long after filter81's book sold, a fellow boardie puts one up for sale (the scan of which I borrowed in this post) for 600.00. I'm thinking to myself, "Okay, GPA is at about 600 but this book is clearly going down...I highly doubt it'll sell, but nonetheless very sweet book and good luck." Then I check back, less than 24 hours later, and the book has sold to an anonmyous buyer. Even if it was less than 600 via pM, I'm betting it was a lot higher than 300 or 400. :applause:

So...there you have it: The wild, wacky world of one non-key Bronze AGe ASM. It's been 10 years and now 19 9.6s, but I think this book in this grade is anything but predictable. Just wait until that lone 9.8 goes up for sale. :tonofbricks:

Thoughts? Comments? Stories? Insights?

:popcorn:

Automatic no-prize for anyone who read this entire post. It ain't easy in this Attention-Deficit Disorder world we find ourselves in.

Approximately one year later :bump:

ASM #151 CGC 9.6 continues its unpredictable course, though, no doubt, a generally downward deal. Here's some updated info:

GPA as of today:

'09 avg.: 597(4)

'10 avg.: 242 (5)

Other 9.6 info:

There are now 210 copies on the CGC census:

6 in 9.8

24 in 9.6

Some poor soul currently has one on eBay for 649.99 OBO. :screwy:

WorldWide Comics sold a copy for 400.00.

In the recently ended ComicLink Focused Auction, a copy sold for 83.00. :whatthe:

:insane:

Edited by cloudofwit

Who says this thread has to only be about ASM? These are two rarities in high grade that I just got back from CGC today. The #54 is one of three graded copies and tied for highest graded, the #55 is the very first graded copy of this issue. Most of the Super Stories have a total census population of way under 10 graded copies per issue, it is a tough series...

SSS54CGC.jpg

SSS55CGC.jpg