• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
13 13

1,674 posts in this topic

Is it just my corner of the world, or is ASM #132 (the first 25 cent issue) rather difficult to find in nice shape?

Of course, as soon as I post that message, I find a nice copy in a Montreal comic store!

I ceased buying comics around ASM #170. How much longer did Ross Andru stay with the book? Who replaced him on ASM? And did Andru retire at that point or did he go to another book?

Andru stayed on until issue 185. Keith Pollard replaced him immediately after he left.

In 1978, Andru returned to DC to work as an editor. During this period his art appeared mostly on the covers of such titles as Action Comics and Superman. Working with writer Marv Wolfman and collaborator Mike Esposito, he also co-created the syndicated comic strip The Unexplained in 1979. In the 1980s he returned to interior work, on titles including Jonah Hex (1982–1984, mainly cover art), Vigilante (1984), and Blue Beetle (1987–1988).

His last work was for Archie Comics' Zen, Intergalactic Ninja in 1993, on which he was teamed once again with Mike Esposito. Andru died later that year.

His last work was for Archie Comics' Zen, Intergalactic Ninja in 1993, on which he was teamed once again with Mike Esposito. Andru died later that year.

Ya know, I had no idea that Ross had passed away (and at such a relatively young age at that). I had left the hobby twelve years earlier in '81 or '82.

Ya know, I had no idea that Ross had passed away (and at such a relatively young age at that). I had left the hobby twelve years earlier in '81 or '82.

Yes, very sad. There is not much about it out there either.

I adored Andru on his ASM run. I don't think he is a flashy artist, but to me, he is the spider-man artist I grew up on. The bronze age really ended for me when at ASM 185. It just wasn't the same.

That ASM #136 is a beauty!

Yes, awesome cover. For some reason, I think yellow ASM are the best.

This ranks right up there.

I would only change the Goblin Glider. Looks smushed. Probably did it to save room.

I have to agree, the yellow covers are my favorites.

Bumping this thread off page 5. Over four months and zero posts? :shrug: :sumo: :shrug:

Did anybody score any sweet ASM Bronze from the recent auctions?

I had my eye on an ASM #151 CGC 9.8 (OWW) in the ComicLink auction (since I have serious remorse about selling my 9.6 back in '08 :cry:). So, this 9.8 on CL was around 175.00 on the final day. I thought, "Well, maybe I can scrounge up some funds and sneak in and get this for 250-300 since the holidays are coming up and since there is somewhat of a miswrap." Uh, wrong. Sold for 555.00. :lol: A certain green boardie gave me some GPA info on it, but I still thought I had a chance. :blush:

Edited by cloudofwit

I got nothing this time around, but finally got my Oct winnings in hand.

Quite a miswrap, but the price sure came down from earlier this year.

RAD188172011825_103716.jpg

That's a great copy. Haven't checked the census on this issue but it seems it's tougher to get in HG. Really nice pick-up!

Some great books. Really envious. Next to BA Bats, Spidey is right up there with me. Would love to one day reacquire all those books from my childhood. This would be about from issues #100 to about #152 or so.

Edited by Brian48

Hi guys new member here. I've just gotten back into collecting after a bit of a hiatus. I can finally afford to buy some of the books I have always wanted!

Here's a couple I just bought recently:

ASM101CGC85a.jpg

129originala.jpg

Hopefully I can contribute some more :wishluck::)

You guys take it easy

Sam

I got nothing this time around, but finally got my Oct winnings in hand.

Quite a miswrap, but the price sure came down from earlier this year.

RAD188172011825_103716.jpg

Love this issue! One of the best splash pages of all time, IMO: Spiderman getting shot! I thought that was so cool as a kid....really set the tone for the story.