• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC's Golden Age grading. An outrage?

120 posts in this topic

I don't see any GA bump evidence in quantity that folks "think" exist...I have submitted some 400? GA books to cgc, and they all get graded about as they should (in my opinion)...there are a few exceptions, of course, but that is true for any era

gator

Paratrooper:

Your making blatant statements that are inflamatory to the hosts of this board.

Let's see, you've now called me a "nut job", a "looney" and a "crazy person". Are you having a particularly stressful day at the office or does name calling pass as rational discourse in your book?

I calls 'em as I sees 'em. Whacko.

Paratrooper:

Let's see, you've now called me a "nut job", a "looney" and a "crazy person". Are you having a particularly stressful day at the office or does name calling pass as rational discourse in your book?

You drinking yet Trooper?

Paratrooper:

Not yet, I'd have called him worse if I was. (Can't believe I didn't get a strike for that last comment I made over the weekend)

Paratrooper:

Not yet, I'd have called him worse if I was. (Can't believe I didn't get a strike for that last comment I made over the weekend)

lol

For years I've been sneering at any dealer

Me Too!

I only sneer at MrBedrock, he's now personally member of NOD :baiting:

:jokealert: <------only posted that because some people don't get my humor or as some 3rd world countries say "humour"

lol We are on the same page! (thumbs u

Say it isn't so!

We are waiting to see :wishluck:

Say it isn't so!

We are waiting to see :wishluck:

ok, I'll vote for you (now throw me an extra $20 in my Liberty Scouts box!)

Paratrooper:

Not yet, I'd have called him worse if I was.

There's so many nice alcoholics on these boards.

I actually agree with the sentiment that GA books should be held to the same standard as any other book. I have some slabbed 8.5 or 9.0 GA books that are fugly and I wouldn't call them better than 6.5 or 7.0.

In my opinion, the qualities that make up a 9.2 should be the same regardless of the age of the comic.

I actually agree with the sentiment that GA books should be held to the same standard as any other book. I have some slabbed 8.5 or 9.0 GA books that are fugly and I wouldn't call them better than 6.5 or 7.0.

In my opinion, the qualities that make up a 9.2 should be the same regardless of the age of the comic.

I can only say that, overall, and this is purely anecdotal, HG GA books slabbed in old label cases seem to be graded tighter than their new label counterparts.

I've seen too many fugly new label 8.5s-9.2s with moderate-heavy foxing ("D" copies come to mind), and resubs that come back higher than they otherwise should.

Is it a GA bump? I don't know. It seems some of the slack I've seen in CGC grading standards over the last couple of years spans the Ages, from GA to BA.

Of course, the case can be made that those books graded tightly by CGC are often retained by their owners while those that receive a generous grade are floated in the marketplace more often, and thus, our perception of CGC's grading is skewed. There is probably something to that argument, as I know I hoard my tightly graded books rather then trying to move them for less than what they might fetch otherwise.

Overall, I love tightly graded old label books and actively seek them out. I have a couple of 8.5-9.0s that look better than some new label 9.4s...and that's not an exageration.

The only thing I really care about is grading consistency. As long as CGC grades the books such that one GA 9.0 is pretty much the same as the next, then it doesn't really matter whether it's better or worse than the 9.0 they might give to a SA book, I still know what I'm getting.

The only thing I really care about is grading consistency. As long as CGC grades the books such that one GA 9.0 is pretty much the same as the next, then it doesn't really matter whether it's better or worse than the 9.0 they might give to a SA book, I still know what I'm getting.
:applause:

hepcat is a shill for whom, i wonder?

hm

any guesses? the only newbies who come spouting off like this are shills who can't let go of their agendas. most real newbs don't know enough about CGC to have a full-blown opinion like this.

slab_em, izzat you?

We've had this argument many times before on these boards. Questioning CGC's grading of GA books is nothing new.

That said, from my discussions and attempted joking with Steve B. last year at Wondercon, I can tell you that he takes CGC's integrity seriously. A grading conspiracy would be the death-knell for a business he loves. He wouldn't do that.

hepcat is a shill for whom, i wonder?

hm

any guesses? the only newbies who come spouting off like this are shills who can't let go of their agendas. most real newbs don't know enough about CGC to have a full-blown opinion like this.

slab_em, izzat you?

the question is my guess.

There seem to be a new flock of instigators on the boards recently.

Well, I'm going to ask an honest question here based upon a couple of the posts I've seen (most notably JiveTurkeyMoFo's):

Is it generally accepted that the old label books are graded "tighter" than the new label books? How many of us feel that way?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I'm going to ask an honest question here based upon a couple of the posts I've seen (most notably JiveTurkeyMoFo's):

Is it generally accepted that the old label books are graded "tighter" than the new label books? How many of us feel that way?

Thanks in advance.

I think there has been that perception...but, I have bought a few old label's, cracked them to read, then resubmitted, and none have come back higher, a couple the same, and a couple .5 lower (maybe due to my handling?)...

so, again, this just further obfuscates the issue (for you, :foryou: crowzilla!)

gator