• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Too much personal information
1 1

160 posts in this topic

Posting here is similar to posting to your myspace page or any other public site. Remember employers are actively doing internet searches to "Dig up the dirt" on potential hires; so what you say online does not go unnoticed.

"Big Brother is always watching"

That said I haven't seen anything revolting posted here that would really mean much to anyone else. I'm here for the comics, not the arrogant attitudes or dirt.

Fortunately I love my job, my boss is the greatest guy in the world, all my co-workers are swell, and I never go onto these boards during work hours. :whistle:

But are you really in Hong Kong... hm

Posting here is similar to posting to your myspace page or any other public site. Remember employers are actively doing internet searches to "Dig up the dirt" on potential hires; so what you say online does not go unnoticed.

That said I haven't seen anything revolting posted here that would really mean much to anyone else. I'm here for the comics, not the arrogant attitudes or dirt.

Fortunately I love my job, my boss is the greatest guy in the world, all my co-workers are swell, and I never go onto these boards during work hours. :whistle:

lol

:signfunny:

Let me offer the following preface: I've only been here a few months and already feel a real sense of community. I can't wait to meet several of the people I've chatted with here in person. All of that said,

I get the real feeling that people most too much really personal information here. I only recently put up a photo of my wife and I. But I figured that anyone who was dedicated enough, not that anyone would be interested, could track down a photo of me by knowing my profession and location. However, I will not post pictures of my kids here. I may know you, the person reading this post, but I don't know that other guy reading this post. You know the one, the new member, the guest browsing, the creepy member I've never met.

I would encourage people to remember that posting here is not quiet nor confidential. It's akin to opening your window of a downtown apartment and screaming your information to the throngs of people below. Only magnify that by 10x. I can not fathom revealing some of the most intimate of details that people talk about here all the time.

I understand that people feel comfortable here and that this is a little community. Two caveats. First, what you say is here practically forever between CGC's server retention and Google's cache. It may never go away. Second, you don't know everyone reading your post.

I don't think my little post is going to dissuade anyone here from putting up a family shot of them and their kids or divulging that their wife just left them. I would just ask you to consider that there are members here who don't readily divulge specific books they are collecting for fear of having others get in a bidding war with them. Is your personal info any less important?

Great points Transplant! (thumbs u

I've noticed some posts that had more info than I would ever share online but never thought to post a thread like this. This is a great community and it's easy to share info so not sharing too much is a great point to remember.

Let me offer the following preface: I've only been here a few months and already feel a real sense of community. I can't wait to meet several of the people I've chatted with here in person. All of that said,

I get the real feeling that people most too much really personal information here. I only recently put up a photo of my wife and I. But I figured that anyone who was dedicated enough, not that anyone would be interested, could track down a photo of me by knowing my profession and location. However, I will not post pictures of my kids here. I may know you, the person reading this post, but I don't know that other guy reading this post. You know the one, the new member, the guest browsing, the creepy member I've never met.

I would encourage people to remember that posting here is not quiet nor confidential. It's akin to opening your window of a downtown apartment and screaming your information to the throngs of people below. Only magnify that by 10x. I can not fathom revealing some of the most intimate of details that people talk about here all the time.

I understand that people feel comfortable here and that this is a little community. Two caveats. First, what you say is here practically forever between CGC's server retention and Google's cache. It may never go away. Second, you don't know everyone reading your post.

I don't think my little post is going to dissuade anyone here from putting up a family shot of them and their kids or divulging that their wife just left them. I would just ask you to consider that there are members here who don't readily divulge specific books they are collecting for fear of having others get in a bidding war with them. Is your personal info any less important?

Geez, you sound like a lawyer. :baiting:

A very astute cautionary warning for everyone to seriously consider.

I must admit I am amazed at times what some forumites have posted in the way of personal photographs of their families (especially kids, sad to say but there is a need to be very careful about doing so) and some of the comments.

I've said it before in other threads but these boards do come up in google searches. Given that prospective employers, dates and current spouses frequently use the internet to undertake "research", we should all try to post in writing what we would only be willing to say in person. And even then give it a second thought as these threads may very well be here to stay whereas a spoken statement remains only to the extent someone can even recall it. (thumbs u

Fully agree, Transplant, unfortunately many people are not aware of these risks.

I have hired many highly paid employees and I always do a careful background screening including web searches. It is so difficult and costly to get rid of a bad employee in a senior position after you've hired them that any red flags that show up during these screenings will be carefully investigated. To some HR screeners, posting hundreds or thousands of messages on a comic book bulletin board during normal work hours would not be considered a positive. Not that I agree, but this is the reality and one of the many reasons why some people here prefer to stay anonymous. Also, not all areas of the world are equally safe if you own a valuable collection.

Also, not all areas of the world are equally safe if you own a valuable collection.
I've thought of this sometimes when a member will post, "I'm going on vacation for two weeks." I think, especially if that person is a frequent seller or buyer, that they've just left notice that they're gone and that collection is unattended. Please don't bother posting about the security measures you have, the size of your gun or the size of your dog. This is just a general observation and is not directed at you, gentle reader.

Fully agree, Transplant, unfortunately many people are not aware of these risks.

I have hired many highly paid employees and I always do a careful background screening including web searches. It is so difficult and costly to get rid of a bad employee in a senior position after you've hired them that any red flags that show up during these screenings will be carefully investigated. To some HR screeners, posting hundreds or thousands of messages on a comic book bulletin board during normal work hours would not be considered a positive.

Yet another great reason to be self-employed and on my own schedule! :cloud9:

Not that I agree, but this is the reality and one of the many reasons why some people here prefer to stay anonymous. Also, not all areas of the world are equally safe if you own a valuable collection.

Can you spell I-N-S-U-R-A-N-C-E! :grin: For some of my books I probably would do better in the short term if they were stolen! lol

Can you spell I-N-S-U-R-A-N-C-E! :grin: For some of my books I probably would do better in the short term if they were stolen! lol

:) :)

I'm probably biased since I've experienced a house intrusion by burglars during the night (happened once to me and once to my sister). Fortunately, in both cases the thieves ran off but it is an experience I wouldn't ever want to go through again.

:) :)

I'm probably biased since I've experienced a house intrusion by burglars during the night (happened once to me and once to my sister). Fortunately, in both cases the thieves ran off but it is an experience I wouldn't ever want to go through again.

I definitely don't want to be present when they steal my comics! That I will pass on.

BTW THIEVES I AM ALWAYS HOME WITH THE ALARM ON, MY GUN NEXT TO ME AND HAVE 5 HUGE DOBERMANS WTH BIG TEETH THAT LIVE WITH ME!!!

I've said it before in other threads but these boards do come up in google searches. Given that prospective employers, dates and current spouses frequently use the internet to undertake "research", we should all try to post in writing what we would only be willing to say in person. And even then give it a second thought as these threads may very well be here to stay whereas a spoken statement remains only to the extent someone can even recall it. (thumbs u

I'm happy to say that my wife and my mistress have each read my postings on these boards and they think they're totally brilliant. My boss and HR manager don't agree with everything I've said here, but they do agree that JC is an arse.

I'm happy to say that my wife and my mistress have each read my postings on these boards and they think they're totally brilliant.

You are a lucky man to be sure! :applause:

hm Good points

for a potential employer to figure out who is posting under my name they'd need to do some digging beyond reading my posts. I usually don't put my comic nerd alias on my resume! not saying it can't be done, but if they're looking under my real name, how would they ever come here? obviously, some people here are more out in the open about their identity and such. mine, of course, is no secret to anyone i've done bizness with here.

Now that I'm officially old enough to run for President of the United States, I might have to start watching some of the things I post.

I'd hate to start giving fuel to those attack adds once I announce my candidacy. hm

what kind of work do you guys do that you would have to worry about something you might post on a comic book forum?

The blob is an Associate Professor at Clown College, MutantKeys dances for Chippendales and I believe esquirecomics works in a shipyard cleaning ashes.