• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

Feeling blue on this very rainy weekend? (shrug)

I've always been a huge fan of DC's blue, regardless of hue. Check out the saturation on the HOS #3 (which just happens to be my own favorite cover from the early part of the title run). And yes, I understand that Strange Adventures is definitely not a second string sci-fi title!

:cloud9:

HOS003-RC.jpg

SA012-RC.jpg

SA016-RC.jpg

SA022-RC.jpg

Gorgeous HOS 3!

Is that the River City copy of SA 16?

Fantastic covers! Your collection is something I can only dream about at this point, but I'm slowly, slowly building collections of these series.

That Strange Adventures 12 is an incredible cover. It looks like Gil Kane inking himself? It reminds me of his much later 80's style...

Fantastic covers! Your collection is something I can only dream about at this point, but I'm slowly, slowly building collections of these series.

That Strange Adventures 12 is an incredible cover. It looks like Gil Kane inking himself? It reminds me of his much later 80's style...

I really like that one too.

GCD agrees with your credits. It looks way better than Kane's 80s style to me. More like the mutant love-child of a DC superhero cover and a Fiction House Planet Comics cover.

Jack

SA012-RC.jpg

You know, I have been thinking of putting up for auction some on my high/mid grade issues of early/mid-60s House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Tales of the Unexpected, and My Greatest Adventures.

I was just pondering if anyone sees any kind of collector interest in these books of late...

Thanks.

Bill

Second string indeed! Space Ranger just gets no respect!

rantrant

I'm always interested in high grade mags with Space Ranger or Mark Merlin covers.

:cool:

You know, I have been thinking of putting up for auction some on my high/mid grade issues of early/mid-60s House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Tales of the Unexpected, and My Greatest Adventures.

I was just pondering if anyone sees any kind of collector interest in these books of late...

Thanks.

Bill

Second string indeed! Space Ranger just gets no respect!

rantrant

I'm always interested in high grade mags with Space Ranger or Mark Merlin covers.

:cool:

You know, after all the great covers that have shown up on this thread, I am going to officially flip-flop and curse myself for even thinking of selling any of these gems!!!

However, as I upgrade, I do sell my undercopies....

Oh, and speaking of Mark Merlin.. here is his first app.

HOS_23a.jpg

More HOS to come!

Edited by AtlasFan

Many thanks for the kind comments, adamstrange, AtlasFan, JohnT, selegue, Sal, and Inaflash. I truly appreciate the opportunity to share my collection. These are definitely not undercopies, but I hope you'll enjoy them nonetheless.

:foryou:

HOM004-RC.jpg

HOS012.jpg

MGA028.jpg

SA050-RC.jpg

TOU023-1.jpg

Many thanks for the kind comments, adamstrange, AtlasFan, JohnT, selegue, Sal, and Inaflash. I truly appreciate the opportunity to share my collection. These are definitely not undercopies, but I hope you'll enjoy them nonetheless.

SA050-RC.jpg

One of the absolute best covers DC ever put out. Great book.

Who dosent love a giant robot cover? The orange and purple sky is just breath-taking.

Just when you think that Z has shown you everything, he pulls out one of these babies!

TOTU #23 is also a great book! I am a big fan of canary yellow covers.

Bill

Edited by AtlasFan

SA050-RC.jpg

One of the absolute best covers DC ever put out. Great book.

I agree. this book is gorgeous. Keep them coming.

Ken

Who dosent love a giant robot cover? The orange and purple sky is just breath-taking.

Just when you think that Z has shown you everything, he pulls out one of these babies!

TOTU #23 is also a great book! I am a big fan of canary yellow covers.

Bill

Murphy Anderson. The cover story by Infantino is even better, but drawn in a completely different style. If you'll look in Gerber Guide he accidentally swapped the scans of SA 50 and SA 30. For several years I was looking for SA 30. doh!